VINE VOICEon 31 May 2009
Having read the other (very mixed) views on here I have to say I found the Rough Guide to Cuba one of the best country guides I've used.

As has been mentionned by another reviewer, the authors often have a slightly cynicical view of Cuban facilities and destinations, and upon reading it before we went it made me wonder if the place was going to be pretty awful, as usually Rungh Guides are so enthusiastic. Now I've visited the country, I would give the exact same advice as the authors - and I loved the place.

I think that rather than falling into the typical trap of being so enthusiastic about everything that the reader doesn't know which are the best places to visit and panics that they can't see it all, these authors are very genuine about which museums etc are a waste of time and which are worth seeing. I found that if the author said something was good we also found it was worth seeing. In regard of any of the other negatives they talk about, I think you need to be aware that Cuba is not some glossy holiday resort - it is a very poor country where people do not have the same attitudes as we do, so you will be very disappointed if you aren't aware of this before you go.

I think this is the reason for the lack of timetables for buses and trains - as everything runs on "Cuban time" I think it would be pointless to publish one, as we were told that buses could come "30 minutes either way of when they're meant to"... basically you have to go to a bus stop and one will turn up within an hour or so!

The part I found most informative (both before my trip and for consulting during our holiday) was the history section at the back. I didn't really understand the ins-and-outs of the revolution before I read this, but due to the information in this book I could understand why things were as they were around Havana and could have respectful conversations with the Cuban people we met.

I would really reccomend this book to anyone who plans to do any exploration of Cuba, even if you are on a package holiday - thankfully this book is not like many others who look down on you if you're not traveling round on the back of a horse and cart!
on 31 January 2011
As always, Rough guides are spot on, they not only introduce you to a city or country but also help you make decisions.Instead of listing 20 restaurants, for example, rough guides will point out the specialties or recommendations and rarely do they go wrong. I visited a good handful of places with the Rough guide and it never disappointed me.Highly recommended!!Though bear in mind that in Cuba things are changing fast.
on 23 November 2014
Helpful, but possibly not comprehensively checked before republishing. Some attractions/accommodation have been closed since well before the publication date.
on 10 November 2014
Brilliant book, good maps, good recommendations and covers all the interesting bits both in Havana and in other parts of the country. We only had 10 days there and obviously didn't touch half the book but if you plan to travel a bit more I imagine it'd cover everything you need. Well written and fairly easy to navigate.
on 28 November 2011
I really wonder what constitutes a Lonley Planet or Rough Guide being 'New and updated' as it doesn't seem to involve any checking of information.

Much of the information was out of date. These books were obviously well reserached when they were created many years ago, but now they are just a licence to print money. There is defintely a gap in the market for guide books that constantly evolve, with the internet this should be an achievable task.

Rough Guide offer readers whose updates get published a free copy of the next edition, most people only go to a country once so this isn't a very good motivator for people to contribute.
on 14 November 2016
great guide!
on 19 June 2017
No problems in Delivery Item was as described almost update info. thinks change to fast nowadays in Cuba.
on 9 November 2007
We have just returned from a 2-week holiday in Cuba - including Havana, Santiago,Trindad, Camaguey and Guardalavaca. The book is a bit unwieldy to carry around but is bang up-to-date. We used it for example to find "paladares" in which to eat. It is informative, contains an amazing amount of detail and is very thoroughly researched. And the advice about what to do - and what not to do ( or avoid) is spot on. A great buy.
on 24 April 2015
Excellent yet again from Rough guides. Booked our accommodation with the emails given in the book with no problems. Great mix of advice, context and practical information.
on 7 June 2012
on our trip last year...pointed us to some great places to eat in Havana... you must go to la Guarida... most famous place to eat in Havana and no where near having a fancy price tag - you must book and get a taxi there, don't walk!

All in all a very useful book... and up to date too.