on 26 August 2009
A classic movie.The relationship between a young boy and the projectionist in the cinema is special, and stays with the young boy into manhood .Running parallel are the stories of the town folk .Told in glimpes of time not many words but so well done .MINSTRAL
on 11 September 2016
One of those classic storytelling movies that follows the life of Toto from a young boy through to middle age. Lovely to see semi-rural Italy in the immediate post-war years and how western European culture and behaviours have changed over the last 50 years.
on 2 January 2014
I've had two Blu-Ray double disc copies of this DVD & neither will play. I get the error message 'Invalid'. I've Updated the Sony BluRay player firmware and tried the reboot as advised in the manual. Any ideas ? All other BluRay discs play with no problems.
33 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 19 July 2013
Saw it many years ago and it made me cry but its a great film a bit sad but also beautifully and sensitively played. I think the ending of the current DVD version has been updated and is different from the original ending I saw years ago but good.
on 19 April 2015
i think this is a wonderful film with a great story. it tells the story of the villages cinema and all the various characters that visit it.the film has plenty of comical parts too.a real treat for people who enjoy high quality films.
on 10 February 2012
I think that the `Vinema Paradiso' is a very beautiful film. Bough the filming and the sounds are great!
The story is about a little boy and he's grown up friend in the town's cinema. Just a fantastic movie.
I just love this movie!
on 5 May 2005
I first saw this on rental, and did not realise I'd seen the longer version. When I bought the 2 x CD edition, expecting even more footage, I discovered that fact. I would feel VERY cheated to have not seen the edited-out ending that I am pretty sure the director originally intended. I can't imagine the film without this 'full' ending. Without the ending you'd be asking what happened next.
The extra footage is, as far as I can tell, 30 mins tacked onto the end, and not extra scenes spread throughout the film.
A fantastic, atmospheric, nostalgic and emotional film for all lovers of shoulda / woulda coulda / films of unrequited love, angst and regret. Good atmosphere of Sicily. Not that I've been there. But now I want to.
on 17 April 2012
This is one of my all time favourite movies; it has beauty, humour, wit, pathos and a wonderful story with a feelgood ending. Whenever I am feeling low, I need only watch this film to remember that life is good.
on 5 August 2013
This is a beautiful film....how refreshing to encounter something enjoyable to watch on many levels. I laughed and cried. It is one of those films that lingers in your mind days after you've seen it.
Linda
on 27 October 2015
I bought this for a friend on the basis that I had really enjoyed it myself. Good story, emotional at times and a period piece. If foreign films and the idea of subtitles deter you, then, you are missing out .