Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 10 June 2015
I wanted so badly to have this blu ray in my collection. And what did i get? Dvd pretending to be blu ray, poor, very poor and grainy picture. Another disappointment...
on 29 August 2011
I love "The People Under The Stairs". I found it highly imaginative, humuorous and hideous! It's enjoyable in that it's like a dark fairy tale with the children and the bad couple and how in the end they are lead to safety by another child.

The House made the film just as much as the charcters. It was great that they could run through the walls and it had lots of hiding places. It was sad about the tongueless one lol.

It didn't scare me particularly but I'm not sure it's one that's supposed to terrify you but entertain you and make you laugh. It will always be one of my favourites.
on 16 February 2013
if you have seen this movie then you'll no what my title is about since I was a kid bean watching this and years later it's still good if you haven't seen it then take a chance on it you could even let me no what you thought of it
on 5 November 2008
'The Poeple Under The Stairs' is probably the least scary horror movie by Wes Craven I have ever seen.
Speaking of Wes Craven (who in my opinion's only truly great horror offering was 'A Nightmare On Elm Street'; his horror directing style is distinct, he makes his killers humourous & very eccentric (which I think makes them less scary), I mean Horror-Comedies are never scary, EVER.
So if you're a pure horror fan, you should probably give this a miss.

Presuming you've read the synopsis I'll go onto critique.
The lead character in the film is named 'Fool' which tells you exactly how scary this film is going to be!
On breaking into a decrepid house in the middle of an actual neighbourhood he finds the owners of the house are psycho's! The residents of the house are two middle-aged murderers, their timid daughter, Alice & 'the people under the stairs. More than a dozen zombie like beings (they appear that way at least) living in a cellar under the stairs. I think they were just supposed to be normal people who had been captured & imprisoned but the make-up artist/s of the film went way over board that results in them looking like bad zombies.
What I can say about the film is that it is funny (I found it particularly funny when 'Fool' say the F word!)
Its certainly not scary, just bizarre, but fun.
on 6 November 2012
Aww I love this film so much! I've watched it so many times and I never get tired of it. It has alot of blood and gore and is quite creepy at times.. but it's also really funny and the plot is interesting. Apparently it's based on a true story where parents kept their children locked away in the cellar, which makes it a little bit creepier. Wes Craven is a brilliant writer and director and this is one of my favourite movies of all time, I love it :-).
on 15 November 2014
This is a quality film and very underrated. It still looks amazing and has a brilliant storyline that has been the inspiration for many films and television shows that have come after it. It has been upgraded with care and looks stunning on blu ray. They have also included new documentaries and behind the scenes extras. A bargain and a must own for any Wes Craven fan.
on 1 December 2007
When I first saw this in the shop I thought yes that looks scary nd surely it must be if it's wes craven but ive seen a lot of scary movies nd it takes a lot now to scare me nd this just didnt produce,unfortunately
it lacked in charisma and the people under the stairs werent as frightening as you would expect but apart from that acting was good script was decent I suppose but if youre like me and like wes craven then buy it see what you think yourself.
on 11 December 2004
The movie starts off quite slow but once it has begun it just keeps going, after about 1 hour and it seems like the end it all starts again with about another 40 minutes of action. The film isnt scary for most the way through, and it isnt really gory either, its just quite disturbing and one of those films that sticks in your head for a while after viewing it. In parts the film isnt really believable, but most horrors arent really. The film itself is no longer an 18 as was re-rated to be a 15 in 2002 so the amazon information isnt up to date. A good film to watch and have in your collection, overall its definately worth buying for the price of it.
on 19 November 2006
This is a very entertaining and original film in the horror genre, I enjoyed it a hugely. As the other reviewers have pointed out its not very scary, but it has its moments and has some comic scenes but its fun and interesting and worth a watch.

Perhaps nowadays when we learn about how some people behave in the privacy of their own homes, this film might not seem too unusual anymore; a couple who are paranoid about their privacy,love guns, very religious, abuse their children and murder visitors! You never know what goes on behind closed doors!!!!
on 11 January 2016
A reviewer said this was region free, so I took a gamble! Unfortunately it's not region free! Doesn't play in the UK unless you do have a multi regional bluray player. Film is a classic though!