Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Tom Chaplin Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 30 December 2014
After reading the reviews I took the plunge and ordered this printer.

Finding a A3 printer AND scanner is rare, most are A3 printer, with A4 scanner therefore I was a little hesitant with how the quality might be on this particular product.

Set-up was relatively quick, it did have problems installing the drivers automatically, this would have been resolved by inserting the CD provided but I like to skip the manual etc, managed to install the drivers from Brothers website, got it all hooked up via WiFi within minutes.

I scanned an old photograph, absolutely fantastic quality at 600dpi, printed on to A3 paper (also provided!) using the genuine Brother inks which were provided, cannot fault it.

Had a slight query regarding the shortcuts (really useful feature), contacted Brother Live Chat Support, was greeted by a friendly non-robotic sounding representative called Amber.

Will definitely recommend and use Brother (previously a HP customer, no issues with HP either but Brother seemed to meet my personal and business needs with this multifunctional printer).

What I like:

* Prints in A3 - great quality
* I have Plain A4 paper in Tray 2, glossy paper in Tray 1 (Tray 2 only supports plain)
* I feed A3 paper from the bag manually (you can also have it in Tray 2, but I rarely do A3)
* Sd card support
* Easy ink replacement
on 31 January 2016
One of the most frustrating printers I've ever owned and the first one I've ever given up on and am about to dump before it actually breaks or I throw it out the window and hurt someone. I've suffered with it for about a year now. I selected this model because I needed a multi page scanner and wanted to print/scan A3 pages as well as A4. Great price and specification but shocking performance compared to my old Canon it replaced. There's no point having an A3 printer if it only works sometimes, maybe an then only if you ask it just right and reboot everything twice. Getting deadline homework printed for the kids and having to spend 2 hours babying it out the printer with multiple jams and failed print jobs is not my idea of how these things should work. On top of that the print quality is only just passable even with the original inks. Save your money and avoid this one.
on 6 May 2015
have considered quite a few printers since the collapse of my 5 year old HP Photosmart and this both the most expensive and impressive replacement I've found. This is an A3 printer/scanner with Duplex and does just about everything I need. I do a lot of craft work and this machine enables me to do just about everything I can think of. It was supremely easy to set up. I have 4 computers including an Apple Mac and 3 Pcs with 8.1. No problems. Wi-fi again no problem. Copies from A3 to A4 brilliantly and visa versa, I suppose, although I've not yet tried. Photo printing is good, but I think not quite as good as my old Photosmart. As for ink the cartridges are big, very big and I hope this will mean they will last a fair time, but I cannot comment on this at present.

This machine is a big beast. It is A3 after all, but it is very well made, looks stylish and does not look out of place. Although this is as much as I would like to pay for a printer, I think it is well worth it. And it is very versatile. It kinda future proofs any new craft ideas I might get in the future.
on 17 May 2016
This has to be the worst printer i have ever bought. It constantly jams, constantly mis-feeds, or simply doesn't recognize the paper trays. There is no point having two trays if the printer can't recognize them. The rear feed is a bit of a joke. To get it to recognise that there is a sheet in it, you have to stand by the printer and apply gentle pressure, as it is printing. I have never had a printer that jams so much.

It is supposed to take a decent weight of paper, but you are lucky if it takes simple, normal plain paper.

do not buy it, I wish i could return it.
on 3 May 2014
This is my second Brother mfc and is a significant improvement over the previous generation. It's smaller and performs better in every way.
I use this printer for everyday documents, photos and plans. It does a really good good job of handling all those ordinary day to day tasks but it does not excellent at anything. Paper feed is quite noisy and always sounds like it will tear the paper - it doesn't.
Print quality is good not great, but A4 duplexing is a boon and print speed is good.
Two sided scanning is brilliant, although quality is only good.
The sheet feed works well and is reliable.
Photocopying is good.
Ink cartridges are chipped and buying Brother oem carts is reasonably costly.
Non oem carts are available but I have struggled to find a high capacity cart that works.
Overall, I thoroughly recommend this printer as a workhorse, it is very good value for money.
on 12 January 2016
I bought this to improve on my Brother MFC9860CDW which is now over five years old but still going strong. I have found the new model to be a great improvement, allowing me to not just duplex A3 but also print with a quality finish faster in wireless mode, however, the real motivation for buying it was the new ability to feed single sheets through the rear allowing heavy photo paper to print without jamming, which was an annoyance with the tray feed on the old one. The smaller size means that I still get A3 scanning etc. but the space where I use it now allows easy access to the rear, although it was a bit disconcerting at first with the A4 sheets printing sideways, all in all I personally feel that it is a worthy upgrade.
on 24 December 2016
One year, one and a half months old, so literally just out of warranty. Literally just spent £60 on new cartridges and i tried to print without any paper. When I put paper in got the message "paper jam". There was none as there had been no paper in it, but I went through all of the steps. Still an error. So I tried various things from the internet including manually feeding glossy paper though it. Still get the error. This happened to my last Brother printer after less than two years. That'll teach me. Would I but another Brother printer? Not a chance!
Shame I can't give less than one star.
on 18 May 2016
After doing a lot of research, this seemed to give me all that I would wish for, with some hesitation over print quality. None of the reviews I read mentioned anything about paper stock and having some experience with ink jets I knew that results would vary wildly depending on the quality of the paper, so decided to give it a go.

First impressions: a solid bit of kit. I had to download new drivers which was a bit fiddly, but once installed, set-up was straight forward and printing has been easy.

Quality
Scanning is fine-not fantastically accurate colour rendition or quality but for most tasks I'll use it for its a good a3 scanner. I've not tried any of the more advanced feed etc functions.

Print quality
There don't seem to be many paper settings and I'm a little unsure how to install eg paper print profiles to be selectable from the print menu so I've had to use Brothers fairly vague descriptions so far. Plain paper prints as you would expect. Photo paper as expected is much better. Text and diagrams, vector graphics etc are fine-not up to photo printer standards, but fine. Now on to photos. I tried using Ilford gloss photo paper (I think 200gsm) with Brothers glossy paper selection. Prints were good but shadow detail was lost, and colours eg skin tones were washed out. I'd not recommend this printer for proofing work however if you want rapid colour prints up to A3 then you could do worse. Bizarrely printing from Apple keynote (their power point equivalent) seemed to drastically wash out images-more investigation required.

Print speed in general was very impressive. It's somewhat noisy whilst it's at it but on Amazon this was about £160 delivered and packs a punch for that money.

To sum up-there doesn't appear to be a scanner/printer on the market that suits the design/graphics/photography industry as one unit. This printer does all of those functions plus has a raft of others besides but I suspect does so by trading the number of features for out and out quality. Auto sheet feed is however a great feature for a home/small office environment that's producing small presentations with high quality graphics/visuals. Build quality is pretty good even if the paper trays do feel a little flimsy-but you don't need to play with them much once paper sizes are set. This is my first wireless printer and I have to say it's is very easy to use. I just wish image quality was better, but then again you can't please all of the people all of the time.

All in all I'd recommend-just make sure you have another solution if you need high quality imagery like I do. It's also a smart looking piece of kit.
on 2 May 2015
An outstanding Printer for A3 and A4. High capacity paper trays that adjust in size to extend only when you want to use A3. I bought this to replace an older Brother A3 6490 as the scanning feed was intermittently double feeding sheets and it had no automatic duplex feature. The printer works very well and is very flexible. The scanner can read both sides of a piece of paper in one pass and save to a 2 page PDF. The included PaperPort 12 SE PDF scannign and editing software is also excellent. I selected 10 PDF documents in the order I wanted and it assembled them into a new single PDF with one additional click. This will save me hours of time collating receipts etc. The 43 page manual for this software was able to be printed in a double sided a5 booklet in about 2 minutes with one click on printer options on just 11 sheets of paper. This will be great for producing booklets and saving paper. The touch screen menus on the printer work well and are simple to use. Loading a document to scan and telling the printer to send it to the PC without having to intervene on the PC is a timesaver as well. An extremely well put together printer and driver package with excellent 3rd party bundle. Compared to a previous HP multifunction machine this is light years ahead. £235 inc. VAT and free delivery. I don't think there is any other printer that can beat this.
on 19 December 2015
I would have given this product 5 stars but I discovered that when using the single sheet feed facility, which you are advised to do for certain paper types, then the printing is skewed. Brother replaced immediately (full marks for that) unfortunately new machine had same fault which suggests manufacturing problem. If you don't need to use single sheet feeder then it's very good, particularly the dual sided scanner.