on 2 February 2017
I bought this book because I wanted to write a book on the historicity of Jesus. Having read it, I now realise I don't have to, because this is the book I was going to write! Actually Lataster does much better than I could because I come at this subject with a very large backpack of confirmation bias. Lataster doesn't do that at all. In fact, upon reading this, he shows that there is no evidence for a historical Jesus, but that doesn't mean he didn't exist. And even if he didn't, Christians still don't need to abandon their faith, because many Christians, from the earliest to contemporary, do not see Jesus as literally described in any Bible. They do, of course, have many problems from a different philosophical perspective. It would be a bold statement for me to make, but my guess is that the majority of Christians have never looked into this area, which is why any religion works in the first place, in my view. Very well researched, I would highly recommend this to anybody who wants to understand the historicity of Jesus, as long as they arrive with an open mind.
One person found this helpful
on 25 January 2015
Good discussion of the (lack of) evidence for Jesus. Maybe dwells too much on Bart D Ehrman's attempt to argue FOR the existence of a historical figure on which the Jesus myths were built. The essential point really is whether Jesus as described in the Bible - i.e. an Earthly manifestation of a supernatural being - really existed, not whether the myths have accumulated around one or more historical figures.
One person found this helpful
on 17 June 2017
excellent
on 5 March 2018
Great!
on 19 August 2014
Pretty well researched, I just found it difficult to search through the contents...
on 21 June 2015
Superb
on 16 November 2014
Convincing
on 20 August 2015
Good read
on 31 October 2014
I found it a bit hard going!!
on 24 January 2014
The thesis of this book is that there is very little (close to zero) evidence that Jesus ever existed. The documentary sources, i.e. the letters of Paul and the gospels, are not independent of each other and are unconvincing. There was also so much tampering with the evidence by early church leaders that it is very difficult to accept the existing sources as satisfactory. Raphael Lataster's arguments seem convincing to me. Recommended.
4 people found this helpful