Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£6.49

on 31 October 2013
This book explains exactly why we are all eating the wrong stuff that is fed to us via media advertising through big companies. The secret is that if we believed what we are being constantly fed by advertising and supermarkets we will continue to be fat and therefore keep these companies rich, keep the pharmaceutical companies rich, the diet industry etc. So, what's the secret? Cut out sugar or fructose to be precise and literally watch the weight fall off. Don't eat anything at all that claims to be 'low fat' as it's more than likely also 'high sugar'. Start eating fat again. Fat does NOT make you fat. Sugar does. Go back to Butter and full-fat milk. Ditch juices of any form. Drink unsweetened milk, water, tea, coffee, wine and beer. It all makes sense. I am in my 40s and have lost nearly 3 stone by ditching sugar from my diet and actually have a waist that I forgot I'd had. The sugar is hidden everywhere, BBQ sauce etc. Anyway, great book in an easy to read format.
on 15 August 2014
I have been appallingly naive in thinking the the government has our interest and health as priority.What an idiot I've been!!
I'm a British GP and have been advising about low fat, forgetting that the surplus sugars turn into fat, and are more responsible for the fatty acids than actual fat intact!

We have enormous power as the general public, and their industries all depend on our money ....we can vote with our purses! Do t let them dope us anymore ....please stop the soft drinks, and diet drinks which are equally dangerous.
We can do anything if we combine our powers and SAY NO MORE!! Make your money in another way...we're not going to be fat anymore and take the blame for it. ENOUGH!!
We'll done David.
on 7 October 2014
What a relief that the sugar in wine is ok (embarrassed to admit that was a main concern)!
I gave up sugar before, switched to soya instead of milk because it was lower in sugar, gave up loads of things I didn't have to, drank diet coke instead. Ate dried fruit. So basically got it all wrong. So glad I read this and got the facts this time. Like most people I bought this to loose weight, but the health concerns raised outweigh the weight loss. I am only a week in and lost 7lbs, but better than that it has been so easy. Don't hesitate buy this, it will change how you see sweet foods!!
on 5 November 2013
Since my daughter was born in1981 I have spent my time flipping from one low fat diet to the next, feeling complete contempt for myself when I didn't succeed. I am angry that I gave up the far tastier full fat version for the flavourless rubbish I have been eating and I am angry that a professor would ignore most of the countries in a survey he has done and focus on just 7 which "proved" his theory. I have spent a great deal of my life in misery because of this, and worse still brought my children up to inflict it on their children . I will be buying copies of this book for them both to read and would definitely recommend it to others.
on 24 November 2015
This is a must read if you have woken up to the dangers of sugar. It provides a fascinating outline of how we got to where we are today in world awash with obesity and metabolic illness. I read it when I was first diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.

There’s no easy way to put this: Diabetics are short changed and cheated by society in general and the food industry in particular. So are Pre-Diabetics and people completely free of diabetes. Everyone is. Official Government Dietary advice seems to be quite literally useless. This is a world where products that can make you seriously ill are called “Innocent Smoothies” and have official stamps indicating that they are part of your recommended five a day. We are bombarded with adverts from the soft drinks and confectionery industries and are trained as children to prize sweets, cakes and chocolates as rewards for good behaviour. If you are diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic, it is almost certainly going to be because of your lifestyle choices and the food that you eat that have caused the problem. The food industry as whole packs sugar into more or less every processed product they make. This is primarily because sugar trigger receptors in your brain that makes you perceive the food as more enjoyable simply because it contains superfluous sugar to get you hooked. Sugar also acts a preservative that extends the shelf life of processed food, which is another reason it is packed into all types of savoury goods that don't need it.

We justify our consumption of chocolate and sweets by telling ourselves that we have a sweet tooth and ignore that fact that it’s the overconsumption of sugar that makes us fat. Young adults have a tendency to think they are immortal and because they don't see any visible outward signs of getting fatter, they keep chomping on the chocolate without understanding that you get fat on the inside first. It’s the fat that makes us ill. We think that diabetes type 2 is something that only affects other people while we suffer from it’s symptoms without realising we even have the condition. We turn a blind eye to the eating habits of our kids and assume that they can process sugar more effectively because they are children. Subconsciously, we think that not allowing them access to an endless procession of sugary treats, cakes and ice cream is tantamount to child abuse. They we wonder why they don’t grow into adults that know how to eat healthy.

However, If we look at some basic information from the WHO, (The World Health Organization) we can easily see where the epidemic of obesity and metabolic illness comes from. According to the WHO we urgently need to cut our sugar consumption by 50%. Once this has been done we are supposed to have a maximum of 50g of sugar per day to have any hope of remaining healthy in the long term. You can get more sugar that that by eating 6 Jaffa Cakes! However this book will help you permanently break free of an addictive poison that will kill you in the long run.
on 23 June 2015
After having a bit of a scare when told by my doctor that I did not handle sugar well, and was in danger of becoming diabetic, I cut virtually all sugar out of my diet. This was a bit of a wrench for me, as I had a very sweet tooth and was encouraged by my parents (back in the fifties) to eat sweet things for energy. Two months down the line, someone recommended this book to me. All I can say is that it makes perfect sense, and I wish I had known about the subject years ago. In two months of cutting out sugar, my sweet tooth has all but disappeared. I now love salads and plates of vegetables, whereas before I thought them boring, and I can drink things like green tea and enjoy them. I have lost over two stone (33 lb, 15 kg) and feel better than I have for years. The book confirms what I suspected all along: the human race has thrived for tens of thousands of years by eating what we like, and so there must be something in the modern diet that is making us fat and unhealthy. It seems that substance is refined sugar, specifically fructose. The technical stuff at the beginning of the book needs editing, as it is repetitive and confusing, but the message is clear. Cut out refined sugar (completely, not just sticky buns, which means reading labels and educating yourself, as added sugar is everywhere) and your health cannot fail to improve. Eat moderately, do some exercise (and I seem to have more energy to do this, from being a lifelong lazybones), and you will live longer and enjoy life far more. I now look at young parents in supermarkets buying Sunny D for their children, and colleagues eating 'low fat' yogurts to lose weight, and I feel sad. We are poisoning ourselves and our kids. Read this book and spread the word.
on 2 March 2012
I have read this book over and over again and the more I read it the more sense in how we must avoid sugar particularly fructose. Since following this simple advice I have lost a stone in weight, my diabetes is near normal and I feel great. Try it for yourself. Amazing!
on 10 August 2015
So I ordered this book read it then met with my local practice nurse to collect a Blood Glucose monitor.

Last Monday before breakfast my Blood Glucose was 16 (Dangerously high before I had even eaten anything!) and I weighted 20 stone. By Friday I was registering 5.9 (Just inside normal) and I had lost 7lb in weight. Not bad for one week.

I have no doubt that I will lose the 6 stone I intend dumping and my blood levels will be back to where they should be and the reason I am confident is because I now understand how it all works and it is this book that imparted this information to me.

This book ought to be part of the national curriculum and I would certainly recommend absolutely everyone to read it.
on 7 March 2015
I have had a sugar addiction pretty much all my life. I knew it was sugar that was keeping me overweight but did not really know why. I had already done some research of my own into the effects sugar has on you but this book basically finished the work for me and clearly explains why sugar has the effects it does, and in English (well mostly!). It really opened my eyes. I have now been off sugar for 4 weeks (yes the cravings were awful to start with but I persevered and after a week they reduced to a tolerable level, and now after 4 weeks they are almost completely gone) and I cannot BELIEVE the difference it has made to my waistline. I am 45 so I have been an addict for a long long time and never thought I could ever break the cycle. This book gave me the tools I needed to finally be free of the sweet poison.
on 17 January 2014
This is not a diet book but more a book of understanding how our bodies are designed to process the food we eat and why fructose is bad. Very informative and written in 'plain english' so that it is easy to understand but also backed up by study. I highly recommend this book to anyone, whether you are tired of trying the latest diet fads or simply interested in being healthier. This book has changed the way I see 'diets'