on 23 November 2016
This is a very different book to Jojo's usual, really good nonetheless.

Story of an IT Geek Ed who gets involved in a financial scandal meeting Jess, his cleaner/barmaid struggling to make ends meet, two unlikely candidates for love but fate has other ideas. They embark on a road journey to Scotland with Jess's daughter Tanzie (a Maths genius), Nicky , a Goth and Norman, their big sloppy, drooling, smelly dog. What unfolds is a road journey which has me me laughing out loud along with some more serious moments when the the local bullies, the Fischers attack Nicky or Tanzie. In the end a mistake made by Jess which was done in desperation results in this cosy setup unraveling and the question is whether Ed and Jess can get past it?

A lovely story about how love can sometimes be found in the most unlikeliest of places
on 5 July 2016
I've read and enjoyed most of Jojo Moyes' books and was pleased to get this one from my local library. By the time I was halfway through I didn't want to give it back! In fact I enjoyed it so much I bought a copy so I can read it again after a few months.
As always, Moyes has created a cast of plausible and endearing characters. They're not perfect; they have weaknesses and make mistakes, there are consequences to their mistakes and they suffer as a result, besides also suffering due to chance events or the unkindness of others. But please don't think this is a depressing book - it's quite the opposite. I found it uplifting and optimistic. I really engaged with the characters and was desperate for things to work out well for them. It isn't schmaltzy, it doesn't give any overly-simplistic answers or solutions. It made me grin; it made me chuckle out loud; and it made me weep. My Mum read it after me and also loved it. I honestly can't remember being so gripped by the characters in a novel - I would t hesitate to recommend it.
on 3 December 2016
Having read and enjoyed Me Before You and The Ship of Brides, I thought I'd try another one by Jo-Jo. Well, I was really quite disappointed this time. I felt it was written by a 16 year old and like a soap opera, it was so predictable. I read it to the end as I don't like not finishing books but I won't be recommending it and it's made me unsure about buying any more of her books. Perhaps this one was a blip. I'm very surprised so many reviewers think it's 5 stars.
on 3 April 2015
Initially, I didn’t take to this story. I don’t think that this is a fault of Jojo Moyes; I blame the fact that I didn’t enjoy the book I finished directly prior to reading The One Plus One. I picked it up far too quickly and didn’t give myself time to shake off the other story. However, once I fully immersed myself in to The One Plus One I saw just how amazingly beautiful a story it really.

The story was so multifaceted. It was about a mother’s love, about desperation, about the beginning of romance and about being different to name just a few the layers. I think the one that resonated for me is the story of sacrifice. Our protagonist, Jess sacrifices everything for her children – I found this quite strange because I, myself, do not have children yet I could feel how desperately she wanted both Tanzie and Nicky to have the best things in life and if that meant working a ridiculous number of hours or sacrificing things for herself then so be it. She is a protagonist to be proud of.

The love story was beautifully played out; Ed and Jess both had misconceptions about each other and they slowly learnt that the other wasn’t a complete waste of space. It took time to grow but their friendship developed in such a lovely and heart warming way. What added sincerity to the equation was that they both had massive flaws; both characters came alive off the page.

Having read a fair few books by Jojo Moyes, I can honestly say that The One Plus One did not disappoint.

The One Plus One by Jojo Moyes is available now.

Follow Jojo Moyes (@jojomoyes) on Twitter.
on 5 May 2017
It was a really good read! In fact UN-putdownable, I found myself reading until 01.30! Really enjoyable, unusual story and you really felt engaged with the main characters.
on 1 April 2014
Jess Thomas is a single mum, juggling two jobs in order to try to put food on the table for her daughter Tanzie and stepson Nicky, their Dad having left 2 years ago following a nervous breakdown and essentially leaving Jess to it. Life for Jess is one worry after another, especially with Nicky being bullied at school; so when her daughter Tanzie, a maths prodigy, is offered a scholarship to a private school, Jess is determined to do all she can to raise the rest of the fees. A maths Olympiad being held in Scotland with cash prize for the winner seems to be the perfect solution; the problem arises as to how they get there. Enter Ed Nicholls, computer geek done good for himself, that is until following one disastrous decision his whole life has come crashing down around him. Now he faces losing everything he has built up, his career, home, not to mention facing a prison sentence. So when he spots his cleaner on the side of the road one night being pulled over by the police, he decides perhaps it's time to put a bit of good karma back out there; little does he know what he's let himself in for!

The One Plus One is another gem from Jojo Moyes; a story full of laughs and humour, both heart-warming and heart-breaking in places, and that overall leaves you feeling uplifted. A little slow-going perhaps to begin with, but then really gets into its stride. What I love about Moyes is how all her books are so different, and far more than average chick-lit in the themes she tackles, which are always well-researched too. I found the parts related to Ed's being accused of insider trading insightful, particularly as it's an area I wasn't all that familiar with before. However, more than anything I suppose this book is really about families, how they come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, and what that bond really means. Moyes also conveys the daily struggles of families like Jess' s really well, the hardships of being a single parent, and how it can be so difficult to get out of a rut; her small seaside town a perfect portrayal of the extreme ends of society, a theme she explores further by putting these two very different people together.

Though Jess and Ed at the outset appear to have very little in common, and indeed don't hit it off well; Joyes does a deft job of building their slowly evolving friendship in a way that feels natural and unforced, and you can see how actually these two people might just need each other. In some ways this aspect of the book reminded me a little of Me Before You, i.e. two very different people, who perhaps in normal circumstances wouldn't have reason to interact, being thrown together and who help bring out the best in each other. On the subject of Me Before You, I would say, however, that it is probably best not to make too many comparisons between the two books, as her former is a hard feat to match. It should also be said that not all aspects of the story are completely realistic, mainly the likelihood of a near stranger driving you across the span of the country at under 40mph; however, the road journey that follows is so fantastic that it hardly seems to matter.

I really liked how Moyes tells the story from the view points of all the main characters, and I think I'm actually going to miss them all. She captures the voice of the children really well too; Nicky in particular, who could have come across as really stereotypical, is a wonderfully naunced character, and really comes into his own later in the story. Ed was probably my overall favourite though, even if at the start of the story he comes across as rather selfish and a bit of an idiot; and I liked that he wasn't your typical alpha hero, but actually just an everyday sort of guy, albeit a bit of a geek.

Overall a real treat and a read to be savoured, as there aren't that many books like this one out there. So much more than a love story, more a life story; and one that leaves you with a positive, heart-warming message of the kindness of strangers and that good things do happen to good people.
on 6 March 2014
JoJo Moyes has done it again, made me cry uncontrollably. This wonderful lady just gets better and better. As you can probably glean, I adored this book and cannot recommend it highly enough.

Basically we have the absolutely fantastic and hardworking Jess and her children, Nicky (actually her stepson), Tanzie and their wonderful dog, Norman. Life is hard for Jess and the children but Tanzie is a whizz at Maths and is offered a generous scholarship at the local private school, St Anne's, if Jess can get together the 10% fees needed for the term. As Jess already lives on the breadline this seems out of the question until they are told of a Maths Olympiad in Scotland whereby if Tanzie passes the exam she will get a substantial amount of money which would, in turn, pay for the school fees etc. How Jess and the children get to Scotland is just fantastic and I won't go into any more of the plot for fear of spoiling it. All I can say is I loved Jess and the children but most of all wouldn't mind an Ed Nicholls in mine; what a wonderful, kind and caring man.

There are some fantastic laugh out loud moments in this book, not really good when you're trying not to wake the hubby up at 2am! There are some terrible depths of despair for Jess and I felt dreadfully sorry for her.

As I say I ended the book crying and I'm already missing Jess and the family.

JoJo as you can see I simply adore your books.

Fantastic read
on 22 February 2015
This is a story about a small Single Parent family who's members feel they don't feel like they fit in anywhere and are struggling with finding out where. Jess is the mum and is desperately trying to make ends meet without support from the two children's Dad (her Ex)while trying to stay positive, open minded and optimistic for the sake of her kids. When everything seems to keep going wrong for them she meets Ed who helps them out through no apparent gain for himself.

Chemistry grows between the two of them until a small mistake before they really knew each other threatens their new relationship.

I loved this story which kept me gripped until the end. I read this in one weekend and willed for all main characters to succeed from beginning to end. I think most people will relate to some or all of the characters in the book and will know people like other characters in their life. You will relate to how these people treated the main characters and how Jess, Ed and the others dealt with the 'hands they had been dealt'.
on 26 April 2015
Having just finished ''Me before you' and previously read 'Last Letter to your lover' I have decided I love Jojo Moyes. I bought the book based on the reviews being brilliant and honestly, I don't get it. I found the book really dull and the story line just really pointless. It's basically just the characters spending time in the worlds longest car journey after being delt a really rough hand and going to the maths quiz blah blah blah.. It just seemed to really go on. I was really disappointed. It did however, break my heart when Norman got ran over and I was really pleased she brought him back into the book rather than him being dead. That's the best thing I can say about the book.
on 1 August 2014
I first started reading Jojo Moyes' brilliant books a few years ago, and was hooked from the 1st one. I actually have every single one of her previous books as hard copies...yup real books! :), as I bought them pre-kindle purchase, and they're all keepers. Every single one has been unique, with a completely different vibe, setting and story line. Contrarily every single one has been exactly the same in that they are so realistic and touching, with such depth that other authors' efforts unfortunately pale in comparison every time.
This one is about life, pure and simple. The way it's told, from all of the characters' points of view, makes it very real and honest. I won't waffle on about the story, as the synopses says enough and I don't want to spoil it. Suffice to say that I think that this author is as much of a genius with words as Tanzie is with numbers. I always feel like I know every single character when I finish one of her books and actually miss them...she really hits the mark for me...consistently outstanding ;)