on 16 September 2013
Saw them live in The Slade Rooms,Wolverhampton, they blew me away!!!!
Just received the Double Vinyl and am not disappointed. Earache records strike gold again. First with Rival Sons, and now the homegrown Temperance Movement. If you like the Black Crowes and Humble Pie, you will love these guys. They ain't pretty but boy do they rock!!!
on 1 October 2013
This is a well put together and well constructed album from a very new and exciting upcoming bluesy rock band. I was delighted to hear that it debuted at no. 12 in the official chart on release.

I have been lucky enough to chat to some of the band members after a couple of their gigs, and honestly wish them all success for the future. If they go half as far as is being predicted then they will do very well indeed, and it's very gratifying to see how far they've come mainly just on word of mouth alone. Hats off to them for being awesome. I strongly advise you go to see them while the gigs are still small enough for the live version of Chinese Lanterns to work well as it is a beautiful moment. It's worth the ticket price alone.

The only minor negative I have, and the reason I only give 4 stars instead of 5 is that I was a little more disappointed than I expected to be that the album contains all five songs off the EP. That coupled with the live session the band did for Amazon means I didn't actually get many new tracks for my money. Fair play to the band for making the effort to release the live session for free, but maybe it would have been prudent to release some different songs rather than just dumping the whole EP on it. If, however, you don't own the EP then this is totally irellevant and you should GO AND BUY THE ALBUM.
on 9 October 2014
Nearly two years on and still the same product. Really good music but I bought their EP when that came out, then their CD and now this. All the same tracks (with extras on iTunes). How many times do you have to but the same thing? I bought their Record Store Day disc which had brilliant versions of Blur and Oasis songs and I am sure we have all heard their live version of Faces, but no sign of that here or anything else new here. I think this is mickey taking on as grand scale from a superb band whose musicianship is right up there with Little Feat and I don't say that lightly. I am still going to see them on the tour but am disappointed that it this all re-treads,
on 26 September 2013
I've been following Phil Campbell's career since the late 90s, and I've listened to this talented singer song writer and heard what he has had to say. I've been willing for that opportunity to knock at his door once more for some time now, someone of this calibre could just not be left by the wayside. Through the highs and the lows the road has not been easy, but this is where it has brought us believers.

A blistering debut album from the Temperance Movement, a fantastic blend of well seasoned musicians/ song writers, coming together with a common cause, to make music that they love, and luckily enough there are many more out there that are enjoying the products of their labours.

I'm struggling to find fault in this album, I thought the Stereophonics' 2013 album 'Grafitti On the Train' was good, this is magnificent.

Hope Phil, Nick, Luke, Paul & Damon get everything that is certainly coming their way.

Wake up music industry and take note this is what the masses want!
on 30 September 2013
This is an excellent debut from an excellent band. And I do mean a proper band,...you know, musicians who can actually play their instruments and sing well. They can entertain live, and write songs/tunes that are catchy toe-tappers one moment or tenderly moving the next.
Every track on this album is good enough to be a single, there is no padding at all.
It's great to hear a British rock band producing music that seems 'old school rock' and yet modern and fresh at the same time. On listening to this album I can hear influences from artists such as Free, Bad Company, Rolling Stones, Black Crowes, The Faces, Eagles, Joe Cocker, Lynyrd Skynyrd,...and yet it all has their own special character without sounding dated or old-fashioned. The lyrics are very good too, never straying into corny or cliched territory.
Some shallow people will say that this blues-rock stuff has all been done before, but when these guys are doing it so well it really does not matter. Other styles of music are constantly re-invented for current audiences, such as folk or even classical, so why not this stuff?
I hope these guys can continue to cope with and live up to the hype that's starting to grow around them, we need bands like this!
Go and see them live whilst they're still in reasonably priced venues,...oh, and buy this album!
on 24 March 2017
First heard the band when Only Friend was on Planet Rock's play list, then saw them live and that was me sold!!
Brilliant rock & soul energy, excellent musicianship and an astonishing vocalist, label it how you want this is must hear music from a must see band!
on 9 February 2016
This is a fine blues/rock album even though part released earlier as an EP for financial reasons, it is a great starting point. Whilst some influences are present, the band has its own clear style. If you love rock music and have not got this, then you have made a mistake.
on 22 November 2013
Heard of them through a friend, and went to see them recently in Norwich. Good old fashioned Rock with a modern twist, played buy (relative) youngsters who are good and I believe will get better (speaking as an old duffer and not wishing to patronise!). Vocals a cross between early Rod Stewart (Faces) and Joe Cocker ... so very good. Even do two of their numbers in my band which is the highest accolade I can give.
on 12 October 2013
Bought this album on the strength of a review by , 'Classic Rock' magazine. So pleased I did, it's an absolute belter. Don't expect snarling riffs and power metal ' or come to that any form of metal. At times it rocks with the best of them and (yes I'm going to swear here) there are some really nice ballads on here, reminicient of James Taylor (not a bad thing, in my humble opinion). As a dyed in the wool, heavy rock/metal head and have been for more years than I can readily admit to, at first I was really taken aback not to mention smacked on the a**e by it. It's eclectic It's Beautifully played with not a duff track on it. Beg, steel, borrow or as I did, buy it, you won't be disappointed,I promise.
on 8 February 2014
The Temperance Movement hit me with Only Friend in 2012, and I've been hooked ever since. It's an amazing sound, yet they are adept at ballads as well as heavy riffed rockers. It's a taken a while to get the debut album out and it's well worth the purchase. Highlights being Midnight Black, Ain't no Telling and Only Friend.
If you already have the EP and the Live in Session, then the only disappointment is that there's not a lot of additional material
on the album.