Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.24

on 26 November 2013
I really enjoyed this book even though I had thought I would not. Quite a clever plot and decent writing. Worth the purchase ;)
on 5 December 2013
The title of the book intrigued me so I began to read. At first the crashing defeats and the idea of Nazi Germans in England held my interest . Bur only foe the first few chapters! The lack of detail in the various battles was very obvious and the poor level of aviation knowledge was all to apparent with the RAF still flying Meteors whilst the Luftwaffe had supersonic Me270s and Ju290 s. All too often the phrase "jet propelled " was deemed sufficient to imply advanced tech aircraft. On the land and sea the story is just as poor with far to much use of the word "weapons " without mentioning what weapons they were. And what was Spike Milligan and Harry Secomb doing in a tank. (Apart from getting killed after ten paragraphs) . I am sorry to rubbish the book so thoroughly but it really was not a good read. Only a desire to see how the war ended drove me on.
on 12 October 2013
I stuck with it until 45℅ read then I had to delete it from my Kindle. Reading it was making me depressed.

There is very little sense that the author knows anything at all about weapons, the military or warfare. Unfortunately in a novel that is pramarily about a war this lack of knowledge is reflected by the characters and by the action scenes. When a supposed soldier talks about 'all their gray tanks' as supposed demonstration of the power of the Wermacht....then you know you have a problem.

A shame, because the basic premise is good.

Other than that the style, while clear, was simplistic..almost as though it was written for early teens.

Avoid.
on 13 January 2014
I only wish I had read all the reviews before downloading this tripe. Probably one of the worst books I have ever read. Try doing some proper research in future. Thank God I only borrowed it from the Kindle store
on 8 March 2015
Interesting premise but not really held together.
I only started to enjoy it when I began to treat it as I would reading science fiction.
I know a lot about the technical details of the aircraft, tanks and ships of the period and did not feel this was handled well or realistically.
However I felt the author has a good grasp of the political and economic history and realities of the scenario.
As soon as you start to change history, particularly as much as this, it unravels the time line and becomes science fiction, not alternative history.
In the end I enjoyed it and would reccomend it for anybody who enjoys military science fiction style storys.
on 11 May 2014
This book is pretty much as you would expect from the title and front cover. The premise is that Britain sued for peace in WW2 in 1943, and the Germans decide, 7 years later to come back and finish the job.

The story cracks along at a good pace with some entertaining narrative, and the author throws in a succession of characters to provide differing narrative perspectives, all interwoven with each other. Anyone who has read Harry Turtledove's alternative histories will recognise the technique.

Some reviewers have accused the author of military naivete. I cannot comment, as a civilian, but his descriptions of logistics problems, strategic manoeuvres and the exigencies of warfare all look well-researched to me, and the scenario he paints looks, for the most part, plausible. Ditto the lack of fine detail in some of the accounts of weapons use - it's not important, so long as we can follow the story. If you want detailed descriptions of every moving part in a tank or a rifle, look it up in Janes.

The author has a solid, flowing prose style and I turned pages over at a respectable rate in my desire to follow the story, but the book suffered somewhat from patchy proof-reading. This sometimes threw whole sentences out and I had to pause to figure out what the author was trying to say. This is an unfortunate lapse and irritatingly easy to fix by re-reading your script. I did wonder whether the author dictated the book or possibly used voice recognition software - I am sure he knows that 'Atlee' should be spelled 'Attlee'. This only made me raise an eyebrow and mutter to myself about proofing, but then I had to scratch my head while I figured out who exactly was this British PM Parmerstrang. I got it in the end, but still.

All in all, I felt this was a good effort - a few creases which could and should have been ironed out, but otherwise an entertaining and thought-provoking read.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 July 2014
An interesting and engaging alternate history novel. I really enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it to any World War Two or history buff. One point to make though- in this version of events did Bletchley Park and Ultra not exist? One could assume that we never cracked the Enigma code in this timeline otherwise we would have had ample warning of any German plans to invade. Did anyone else spot the problem with the "German" tank on the front cover? Kinda looks like a Russian T34 to me...!
on 22 June 2014
I love all of Mr. Nuttall's non science fiction books. Sorry but I have a complete blind spot to science fiction (not real) books. This was an excellent read,and hope that he delivers more of the same..Please Mr.Nuttall, no more space invader stuff,stick to this genre,this is where you excell !!!
on 3 October 2013
This is a great alternative history book. I found it difficult to put down.

At first everything seems to go wrong for Britain, it looks like the country is about to be defeated but eventually our fortunes are reversed, I don't want to spoil the plot by going into anymore detail.

If I wanted to be critical I could, for example how did we amass so many tanks and jets, but I wasn't going to let that detract from an engrossing yarn.

I will say that I got so into the story that I felt anger when things were going wrong and finally relief that things went right!

There is great scope for Christopher Nuttall to write a/some follow on books as he leaves the reader with questions about what might happen next. I hope he does.
on 19 February 2014
Very enjoyable book, and very easy to read.

This is not a tech Thriller, so does not go into loads of detail about the weapons. However, it does give you enough information to picture the battle.

I find that some books get too bogged down in the technical info, and that can upset the flow of the read. I was happy with the level of technical detail,in this book, but it may not be enough if you have , for example, no idea what a Panther or Centurion tank are

Some of the characters are a little weak, bit there are not so many that you forget who is who.

The book flows very well and I found that it remained interesting all the time.

Very happy that I bought this one.