on 4 November 2013
This is one of those (very short) books that, if you don't know much about the subject is a good intro. But if you do, you'll be asking, '"Where's the beef?"

Ryan is a convert to Growth Hacking and explains how it challenges conventional marketing. He briefly introduces the concept and then breaks it down into its component stages.

Again, if you haven't read any of the books in the Lean Startup movement (search for Lean Startup and dig around the tons of resources now online) you might appreciate this chatty and light read.

Unfortunately for me, I wanted a few more tricks, tips and ideas. I wanted more of a 'How To' guide than a 'this is what Growth Hacking means' ebook.

I admit, Ryan doesn't claim that this book is an instruction guide.

Nevertheless, his examples are very obvious and known to many in the marketing/digital marketing world e.g. how Hotmail gained traction by encouraging Word of Mouth.

In conclusion, I'd give this book 3.5 stars if I could.

Buy it if you need the intro level stuff. It will get you on your way. But, even though it's a cheap and quick read, don't expect a huge amount of value in return.
on 1 October 2013
I didn't think it was possible in such a short book for the author to repeat himself so many times.

It's apparently possible for any business to adopt growth hacker tactics: However all the examples were of B2C online traders, mainly of digital products, and even then no real insight. I feel like I've read a book that could have been a 3 minute conversation or a 4 page presentation.
on 19 April 2014
Really good introduction to growth hacking and its use in marketing. Really good primer if you are new to this. Some criticisms of it saying there was not enough tactics, but I think the whole point of growth hacking is you learn the principles then be inventive with that concept. If you know what the concepts are, then you can run with that yourself. And make tailor made ideas for your particular product, rather than be lazy and try to rip off other ideas.
Buy if you want to get past the old ideas of advertising the hell out of everything - and hoping for the best.
on 10 May 2016
The majority of the content of the book is spent enthusing over growth hacking and how the author coined the term and a lot of self praise but in reality actually touching on the techniques is very much missing. Far more useful and engaging with plenty of real world examples is Traction by Gabriel Weinberg and Justin Mares, a phenomenal book.
on 26 December 2013
This is a very interesting and thought provoking little book. There are a lot of good techniques and examples of how to launch a new product without much budget. In fact, the book suggests actively avoiding large conventional advertising campaigns and budgets. It won't take up a lot of your time or money, so definitely worth a read. As with many of these types of books it glosses over two things.

1) The danger of subscribing to a Whiggish interpretation of history, where every action is an inevitable step towards enlightenment and progress. Saying "these 20 companies used these techniques and are now worth billions" ignores the possible thousands of companies who used the same methods and failed. Remember, someone has to win; that doesn't mean that everything they did meant they would inevitably win.

2) Describing as "industry changing" a method that is applicable for a very narrow set of problems. If you have a great new product, with little competition, in an un-established market, this is great. However, I'd suggest that your marketing isn't super important if you have all of those things to begin with.

That's just nitpicking though - if this was 300 pages long and cost twenty pounds you could sniff at it, but at about a quid and readable on a short commute, there's nothing to get bothered about.

If you liked this, you'd probably enjoy ReWork: Change the Way You Work Forever - although I note, the price of this hasn't gone down.
on 22 May 2016
I thought this book was an excellent read. Without realising it, I'd already implemented some growth hacker marketing tactics in my own business. Now thanks to this brilliant book, I'm inspired to do more! Read this book with an open mind to supercharge your marketing's effectiveness in whatever business you run. Thank you Ryan for sharing your wisdom!
on 28 August 2015
Having around the subject widely before purchasing the book I was originally sceptical about the value I would glean from Growth Hacker. After finishing the book I wished I would have discovered it sooner...I would have saved so much time.

If you are stuck in a rut with your marketing or are just about to start this is the book you need.
on 2 October 2014
Original review

This book is an introduction to what Ryan calls "Growth Hacking". But is this marketing? I'm not really sure.

If you're familiar with startup culture, people like Paul Graham, companies like Y Combinator or perhaps even just the tech scene in general then most of this book won't be anything new to you. The majority of this book simply revolves around making something people want, a familiar saying in startup culture.

What's the secret? It's what every successful tech company has been doing for years. Make something that people want, reiterate and improve it until the users are happy and then try and expand on a large scale through word of mouth.

I did actually prefer a short book like this, I finished it in under 3 hours but I'd be more appreciative if it was this length and packed with more details. I paid £2 for the kindle version and all criticism aside - if you're unfamiliar with startups and "growth hacking" it's absolutely worth it.

4 stars - concise and introductory but Kindle pricing is spot on.
on 17 August 2016
Interesting book about how things have changed.I was interested in this to promote my boo www.amazon.co.uk/22-Floors-David-Watson-ebook/dp/B01I5VSFYI I am not sure how much of it I can use, but if you are in marketing or have a business I think you should read this. There is some great insight on product development and how to ensure your customers promote you. It could be however I am failing to connect the dots, it is certainly a book I intend to read a second time to get as much as I can from it.
on 19 September 2013
Enjoyed reading this book, it offers a new perspective on marketing and is easy to read. Although, as another reviewer has said, most of the ideas covered are not new they are put together in a fresh, accessible way. Personally I'd never heard the term Growth Hacker before picking up this book, and now I'm keen to learn more.