on 27 August 2016
Great little bundle.
Im new to photography and thought Id give this a go along with some other Photoshop software that id been given.
Its a good system ,lots of tricks and help with your photos.

Some bits are tough to work or figure out, otherwise its a handy piece of kit.

For me, I dont liek to Dr my photos too much else it takes the skill out of photo taking if you can alter everything you do, I prefer to take my time and take the photo I want. Yes, I need to touch up the odd picture, where Ive got things wrong but in general Id like to learn to take the photos correctly and to the best of my ability, rathe rthan take an average photo and alter it.

However for those who prefer the latter or want to experiment with what you can do, then this, along with other photoshop software should do all you need,
Version 12 of this very popular photo editing software comes with two disks, one for windows based pc's the other for mac pc's. This update has a user interface which is slightly different to the previous version and the controls and feature effects now have a much quicker way of previewing the effects on screen before you apply them. The program interface at first looks very dumbed down and aimed at very new users to photo editing but regular users will quickly be back to finding that you can use the program with the short cuts of previous versions. If you are purchasing for the first time it probably makes sense to get this version, whether the new interface adds any extra functionality for version 11 users is really a matter of personal choice. It would be wise to use the features compare option on the Adobe website to make your final choice.
on 26 August 2014
This is the fourth version of this product that I have bought for my iMac and the new features continue to bring interest to the system. It does not rate five stars merely because the group photo merge is not nearly as flexible as one would like. For instance, adding a figure to the group requires the source to be of very similar size to the target photograph and the ability to move that figure is somewhat limited by the clumsy 3-point alignment system.
on 16 February 2014
I was becoming concerned in that my copy of the original Photoshop CS, bought about nine years ago and used daily ever since, won't work with current versions of Apple OS and that therefore, when my six year old MacBook (running on Snow Leopard) fails and has to be replaced, if it ever does, I'd have no alternative but to update to Photoshop CC and go with Adobe's new and apparently deeply unpopular rental regime. I can only say to anyone in my situation, no worries, Photoshop Elements 12 does just about everything the original Photoshop CS does and in a more user-friendly way, and at the price is quite extraordinary value. I just hope that, unlike what has happened to the 'real' Photoshop, it remains available in its present form, ie., available to buy, outright, on disc, the installation of which couldn't be easier.
on 13 May 2017
great but still learning.
on 29 August 2014
WORKS AS EXPECTED., BUT ADDITIONAL OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS WOULD BE USEFUL.
on 19 December 2013
I have bought this for a friend (I have version 11, which I find very versatile. ( (PS I never use the word "love" for things so your 5 star rating i would never used)
on 11 April 2014
This helps fix my old photographs of family & vacations. this helps me, tried others but didn't do what expected
on 30 June 2014
I have used previous versions of Elements without any problems and have a copy of Lightroom 5 running on my PC. I decided to upgrade to Elements 12 as I have just started a photography course. I managed to install the software from the DVD and activate the product, or so I thought!!

I am able to access and use the Elements Organizer but every time I try to access the photo editor I get a window telling me to sign in to my Adobe account to activate the software. The serial number shows on my account but the software just will not run past this sign in to activate window.

I have now spent 3 sessions on the Adobe customer help chat service and got absolutely nowhere. So basically this software is completely useless to me and will very shortly be returned to Amazon for a full refund.

As for Adobe Customer Care.....ABSOLUTELY USELESS!!!!! Don't buy this useless piece of junk.

UPDATE: I have now returned this product to Amazon who have promptly refunded my money, thank you Amazon. As for ADOBE, the technical support is useless and this software, or at least the activation system, is defective. I have since purchased Paint Shop Pro x6 and am very impressed with it. It does everything Elements does and more. It's also very user friendly. My advice is forget Elements 12 and forget ADOBE until they start to appreciate their customers and sort out their software. As for me I'm now very firmly a Paint Shop Pro man.

As a matter of interest, another piece of software worth a look at is The Gimp 2.8 This is a very powerful image editor and is free of charge, being freeware. It is just as powerful as Photoshop and although there is a steep learning curve, there are a number of excellent books available on Amazon to help. The Gimp 2.8 is available to download from the internet.
Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 is a great (5 stars) photo editing package for home users and serious photographers on a budget. Adobe's upmarket Photoshop CS6/CC is the defacto industry standard photo editor, and this Photoshop Elements 12 software offers the bulk of CS6's tools for a fraction of the price, so it's hard for any others to compete (although Adobe's streamlined Lightroom 5 offers a faster editing experience with fewer but better implemented tools, and the likes of freebie 'Picasso' may well provide many with all the features they need). For those upgrading from Photoshop Elements 10 and lower, there are some useful additional tools in version 12 and it has the revised Elements 11 interface that I like. However I'd always buy this full licence version rather than the similarly priced Elements 12 Upgrade version, as then you can re-install your old version of Elements onto another machine or laptop (and even use it legally at work). The Adobe licence allows you two installs, one at work or on your main PC, and another at home or on the laptop (provided you don't use both programs at the same time). However this is one upgrade I'd skip if I had Photoshop Elements 11 as there's little extra on offer (i.e. just the 'mobile albums connection' app for tablets/smartphones and a few updated features like improved 'red eye' reduction for pets and 'moving objects within photos').

Although the Elements 12 Expert Editor interface looks fairly kiddy Fisher Price, within the editors buttons and menus there's a lot of submenus and options that include Layers, Masks, the 'correct camera distortion' tool, Transformations (distorting photos or distorting/moving objects within photos), Photomerge (for creating panoramas and transferring/removing objects within photos), Levels (brightness & contrast), Colour Correction, Shadow Highlight (bringing out details within shadows), plus many selection, drawing and resizing tools, image sharpening apps and various art filters, all similar to that within Photoshop CS6, albeit in cut-down form (although Elements does lack CS6's macro recording, non-destructive filters, the Pen & Curve tools and CMYK colours required for professional printing). Elements 12 also has an advanced Photo Organizer that catalogues your photo folders into a thumbnail database so that you can search and find photos more easily (even using face recognition and location). In addition there's the Quick Edit and the Guided Edit modes to help you quickly carry out simpler editing tasks or to learn new ones.

With this full licence version of Elements 12 you can even leave an old version of Elements on the PC as well as Elements 12, as they install as separate programs - you can only run one at a time though. The photo Organizer can convert/transfer older Organizer catalog 'settings' to new versions, but it's not always possible or completely successful, depending on version and OS. To uninstall an Adobe application these days you must 'deactivate' the licence first which is done under Help in the top menu - this is important as otherwise your licence will still be active on the old PC and the new install will not register (do this if you are reformatting the system drive or you will lose a licence otherwise). Personally I choose Photoshop Elements 12 over Adobe's Photoshop Lightroom 5 as I value the extra power in the Expert Editor over Lightrooms speedier options, and I don't often use Elements Organizer preferring logical folder names instead (Lightroom is very good at the photo organisation and fast batch processing side, and it is designed to run alongside Photoshop Elements 12 or Photoshop CS6/CC rather than replace it). Lightroom 5 also deals with dSLR RAW files far better than Photoshop Elements 12, offers non-destructive filters, and it's a similar price (£100) - although only Elements/Photoshop CS6 offers advanced tools like Photomerge. If you want to spend a short time editing a large number of photos then Lightroom 5 is ideal, but if you want to spend a long time working on relatively few photos then Photoshop Elements 12 (or Photoshop CS6/CC) is the one to check out. Photoshop Elements 12's Expert Mode editor is quite similar to Photoshop CS6's industry standard editing interface, so it's easy to swap between them. Although the minimum spec for a monitor is only 1024x768 pixels the Elements 12 expert editor can feel a bit cramped on screens less than 1680x1050.

Or as Computer Shopper/PC Pro's review puts it "For new users who want sophisticated layer-based photo editing on a budget, Photoshop Elements 12 is still the software to get. Existing users should save their pennies though. However, those who just want to manage and spruce up their photos are much better off with Adobe Lightroom 5 or the free Google Picasa. Plus the dSLR camera RAW file importer in Photoshop Elements 12 is less powerful than that of Photoshop CS6/CC, so if you want to get the best from your RAW images consider using Photos0op Lightroom 5". Also check out the Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 and Premiere Elements 12 Bundle Edition, as Premiere Elements is a pretty good package for home video editing. Other highly rated budget photo editor contenders to consider are GIMP (totally free), Xara Photo&Graphic Designer 10 (£70), Corel Paintshop Pro X6 Ultimate (£70), Serif PhotoPlus X7 (£80) and if you only work with dSLR Raw files: DxO Optics Pro Standard (£110) - although there is the consistent interface advantage of staying within the market leading Adobe stable, and Elements 12/Lightroom 5 are great value if they offer you everything you want.

When installing Elements 12 you can install the latest version direct from Adobe rather than use the supplied CD - the licence code in the box will activate either. If you are unsure whether you should go for Lightroom 5 or Photoshop Elements 12 (or Photoshop CC Extended for that matter) you can download any Adobe software from Adobe's website for a fully functional 30d trial, which can then be activated by the code in the retail box. Adobe software is frequently buggy on first release, and I get the impression that Apple users get more problems than Windows 7 users like myself, but Adobe are pretty good at releasing patches to correct these (another reason for early adopters to leave an old version of Elements on the PC I suppose). So great photo-editing software but do try out the 30d trial version first to see if you like it.

Update Sept 2014 - Adobe Photoshop Elements 13 (PC/Mac) has now been released, replacing this version and adding a few more features.
2323 Comments| 226 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse