on 29 September 2013
I should probably start by saying that I'm not really in to this type of music. It's not that I hate it or anything, just that there I spend more time listening to other types of music. Which I prefer.

This compilation contains a nice variety of tracks, but they are all what I would call "easily accessible" tracks. There's nothing here that pushes any boundaries or which breaks any new ground. In fact there's pretty much nothing here that would challenges or offend anybody (0 swearing, and no politics, for example). It sounds like somebody has gone out of their way to put together a collection that you could play to just about anybody with an interest in music to try to encourage them into the genre. Rather than being a showcase of what is good or what is new.

If this were a movie, it would be a Pg-13 Romcom with Jennifer Aniston.

There's nothing new, nothing gritty and nothing offensive.

The tracks are a mixed lot. There's nothing here that I really hated, and nothing that I would call "bad". But there's also nothing that made me sit up and saw wow, that's good.

The tracks feel a little over produced. They're too clean. Both the vocals and the music. Like they were put together in a laboratory. Rather than in some musicians basement\trailer\trashed hotel room. They all sound like they were put together by people who were sober. Which isn't how a lot of good music in this genre was originally done.

The lyrics are a bit plain and they tend to be repetitive and a little too pop-musicy for my taste. The instruments are competently played. But the musicians don't feel like they're being challenged or inspired. It's like watching a classical painter doing a paint by numbers, and not being allowed to improvise or improve on the picture on the box.

As I said. There's nothing awful about this compilation. It just feels like somebody put a bunch of safe track together.

This isn't the Clash.

It's so safe that my grandmother could listen to it.
on 14 September 2013
Corr bugger I thought punk was dead , It's not , this album starts off in the 50's and go's bang in to the late 70's and back again. Who put this lot together ? but it works and very well, 20 yes 20 tracks of of pure bliss. For people who like names the Gorillas R in there,so is Butcher Boy and Helen Love. I'm Graham, Love it
on 1 October 2013
this is jolly good - wot
Punk still lives even if it now calls itself alternative - raucous sometimes quirky at others but worth every penny
on 14 September 2013
A mix of tunes some good some not so hot. There are some real charmers in there and a good sampler.
on 7 October 2013
Not bad for a free download. Did not know what to expect but sounds OK to me although probably unlikely to rush to buy the full CD. Quite happy with the sampler thanks.
on 11 February 2015
not bad for a freebie
on 12 October 2013
I enjoyed this sampler; not all the music was to my taste but that is the point of a sampler.
on 26 September 2013
Some of the tracks are good but some not my sort of thing but having said that in the main its ok
on 22 January 2015