on 12 December 2013
Ordered this for my dads Christmas, opened it up to set it all up and so far im amazed by the laptop..

for £300 I was expecting it to be slow and filled with useless, annoying and resource consuming ad apps but to my amazement it was almost empty of those.. there are a few Packard bell apps as expected but not much else.

the laptop runs smooth and has shown no issues so far.

Windows 8.1 really is a great operating system, it makes things so much simpler by adding app based programs aswell as having your standard desktop programs.

the appbase programs are fantastic almost wiping out your need to use the browser for e.g. Netflix app can now stream in HD and play 5.1 surround on pc with the windows 8 app which it cant on windows 7 downwards as Silverlight doesn't support it, finally Netflix feels worth the money.

Internet explorer... im actually really impressed with this.. ive always had a severe hate for I.E but after using it with windows 8.. it feels much better, more in tune with the OS than chrome or firefox does... not that you will use it much due to the wide selection of apps available for facebook, mails, amazon etc.

if you're looking for a cheap laptop, this is the one for you.
1111 Comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 June 2017
Good basic notebook
on 23 December 2013
I bought this laptop in the Black Friday sales, and having been using the system for a few months now, it's a nice combination of budget functionality and multi-media capability. I'm a casual gamer, and this will run a fair few casual games with ease, though big PC tiles like Arma II may be a stretch on the speed of the CPU. However, the Graphics card is great for the price, and such features as the USB 3 port make this computer a reliable gadget for students and others looking for a sturdy laptop (it's a little bigger than a MacBook Air, it's fair to say) with good processing speed and media capabilities. I personally don't like the Windows 8 OS, but I wouldn't let that detract from buying this, as a few plug-ins such as the ViStart Start button (which gives you back to old menu down in the bottom left. Overall, while as a laptop and one under £400, it won't re-invent the wheel, but I'm pleased with its performance so far- good keyboard, fast processing, nice graphics and from a respected brand, sounds fine to me.
on 26 November 2013
This is a great laptop, it's fast easy to use, boots up quickly and loads software quickly. It came with 4GB ram I have now put a 2GB stick of ram in it, taking the ram up to 6GB which was easy to do. I would recommend this laptop to anyone who wants it.
on 10 February 2014
I have spent a long time looking for a new reasonably priced lap top to take the place of my aged laptop currently on XP. I took the plunge and went for this Packard Bell. This laptop for me is light years ahead from what I had. I love it,it is so quick and easy to use. I am enjoying finding my way with Windows 8. I am not very technical but found this easy to use. For someone who doesn't need too fancy a laptop then this will be ideal for you. Always worth shopping round for the best price. I got mine from a seller on Amazon. I would highly recommend.
on 16 March 2014
This is the first time I have bought Packard Bell, but I have been very pleased so far. It seems to be mostly a rebadged Acer with PB things added, so the quality is there. It arrived in time for when I needed it, undamaged and well packed.

Having a big drive and plenty of memory is a luxury for me and a real pleasure to have, the track pad is good,sometimes a little too sensitive, but that is minor and you get used to it. The screen is great, very clear and the keyboard is comfortable, complete with numeric keypad (my previous laptop, which still works but very slow is a Toshiba Satellite 12 years old). Wireless connectivity is superb, hooks into our network dead easy and I've used it in other places with no difficulty.

For me the biggest problem is like many, Windows 8. It really takes some getting around, hence only 4 stars. I wish there was a Windows classic setting so I could have everything like Windows 7. If there is one please tell me where and how. I have this week upgraded to Windows 8.1 and despite many comments about it being difficult and long to upgrade, it turned out to be a breeze (which for me is quite something as I feel Microsoft have been using me as a test site since early MSDos days).

If it was not for the fact there are certain windows applications I really need to run, I would wipe the disc and install Linux Mint, which is so easy to use.

Overall this laptop does everything I need, there are still some bits on it to explore still, and I would happily recommend it. I should add I bought it as an Amazon Warehouse deal, so the price was really good.
on 1 April 2014
Purchased for my daughter for Christmas and was problematic from the start. Contacted Packard Bell who advised downloading various fixes from their website, however the machine continued to freeze and reboot itself at random. In the end gave up on it and returned to Amazon for a refund and purchased an Acer Aspire E1-530 15.6-inch Notebook also from Amazon which has been excellent. Although the machine was bad Amazon's service was first class as always, sorting returning item and paying refund straight away even though by now the machine was 3 months old. If only the computer was as good as customer services.
on 29 January 2014
Got this one as a replacement for a Lenovo that got destroyed after a short time (long story). This is much better - I prefer the touch pad, it looks good, feels solid, runs quick.
on 9 March 2014
The speed it operates at is so full speed ahead that I am delighted with its performance Once you have had a fast computer you will not go back!
on 5 February 2014
Only reason this isn't 5 star is Windows 8! Don't like it, if fact think it's ***p! However the notebook does do everything my wife requires of it very easily & quickly. Had to beat at the price. Looks good & is quite light too. It was for her & she loves it. Nuff said.