Customer reviews

on 2 January 2015
Review by @johanosteyn

I heard about this book when a prominent CIO mentioned it in a presentation I attended. I am a sales professional so CIO’s are my target customers. This book gave me valuable insights into the challenges that CIO’s face. It is also a book about being a strong and effective leader, and it should be read by anyone interested in leadership.

What I learned from this book is that you do not have to be a horrible person to be an effective leader. But neither do you have to be a super nice person. I have worked for both kinds of managers before. Sometimes I think that the strong, know-what-they want, often perceived as horrible bosses, get much more done than managers who are too nice. I heard the term “servant leadership” mentioned many times before, and I know in principle what this is about, but my experience is that people do not want a friend as a leader – they want a leader.

It is possible to be a wolf leader – one that combines the light side and the dark side of leadership – and lead teams in a way that inspires them. What people want is a leader that gets things done for his/her team and for the organisation. I would rather have a good, inspirational leader, than a person who is friendly, respectful, but weak.
on 11 April 2014
A refreshing and entertaining point of view. This deals with the reality that a CIO can have great influence over an organisation, and how to deal with the clashes this can bring.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 18 June 2015
Great book written in a style that makes it easy to read. A refreshingly different view of the world. A must read book for aspiring CIOs
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse