on 14 February 2014
The line up of artists should make this good, but it does not, it makes it excellent. The variety of styles of presentation within the one album makes it very interesting and varied whilst remaining cohesive and unified. Much passes for folk music these days and those of us who like a more traditional sound can be disappointed by some contemporary offerings, but not here. The disc is a good quality sound but is not overly produced in the studio thus one can easily imagine this would sound very similar live, and that in my opinion is how good 'Folk' should be produced Well done and thank you to all concerned.
If you like good playing and singing in a traditional style you will like this album.
on 28 December 2015
Can't fault the quality of the production, the vocals and instrumental playing is superb. There are some great tracks on this album, like Awake Awake, but can't help thinking that with all of the English folk tradition to choose from, some better songs could have been included. Songs like Linden Lea and the instrumental tracks chosen I find a bit boring. Down to personal preferences I suppose.
on 2 February 2015
There is a great variety of singing voices and instrumental accompaniments. I enjoy all the tracks. My only regret is that so far, I have not been able to work out who sings what on the different tracks, they don't seem to be given individual credits in the accompanying booklet, which is otherwise informative. I want to follow up the individual artists further.
on 28 March 2014
I discovered this collective in a round about way.......after seeing Seth Lakeman playing locally and watching the radio 2 folk awards.
This album is a great sampler of all that's great and good and very varied amongst English folk music. This is a total change for me in musical taste and is the first proper "folk" album I've bought.
Be warned......this album will make you search out for more!!!!
on 2 September 2014
I'm a huge Seth Lakeman fan so bought this on that basis. It is very traditional folk which I don't mind but wish they had chosen more upbeat songs. I found many of them a bit dark and depressing and was a little disappointed. Having said that I have found myself singing some of them to myself after only a couple of listens so they are obviously catchy!
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 21 February 2017
If this is your type of music then it is a must have CD.
on 16 October 2016
Lovely album. Excellent playing. Superb players & music. (Seth Lakeman, Martin Simpson, Fay Hield, Nancy Kerr, Ben Nicholls, Rob Harbron, & Sam Sweeney). Excellent booklet with full description of the intention of the album and the source of the songs.
on 15 May 2016
Love this album. Beautiful voices, beautiful playing and lovely, diverse songs. Came to it with curiosity and no expectations and was very pleasantly surprised.
on 1 December 2017
Great mix of songs and a good traditional English folk band sound.
on 12 January 2016
Really Beautiful album of great folk music - brilliant performence and much joy to listen to - thank you.