on 26 March 2015
I looked for something with really good, involving sound that didn't fill the room with speakers or just amplified explosions and I found it.
A really good product which is more subtle, rather than in your face, but still impressive. I have it sitting on a low cabinet with the TV mounted on top of it. I bought it because the sound from mewly acquired Sony KDL 42W805 is not very good. Great to look at, but to listen... Let's not go there! Run it in and take some trouble getting the right setting. You can choose from 3 positioning modes to optimise sound - in a cabinet,, on a cabinet with TV on it or on a cabinet with the TV wall mounted. I also prefer the Stereo option to the Surround option. You still get a good soundstage, but bigger rooms may benefit from the surround setting. Having said it was subtle, it can still get up and slap you in the face for action movies etc. Music fares very well having listened to some great performances on Sky Arts including Jeff Beck and Gary Moore with the volume wound up. No lack of sync or anything either. Finally, don't be afraid to buy an Amazon warehouse deal version to save yourself some money.
8 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 2 December 2015
I have had a couple of soundbars before this one, and while both were bassier than the TV speakers, neither had the clarity needed to hear clearly. The sound of the Canton is superb: great depth, with sufficient bass at the default setting and speech is crystal clear. The surround sound works very well.

The ability to set the on switch and the volume to my Samsung TV remote is very useful.

One thing that puzzles me is that when you attach the Canton to your TV, you are attaching an external speaker, I would have thought. But when I set it as an external speaker in the Samsung menu, the Canton did not like it all. It was only by leaving it as the internal speaker that it worked properly. Whatever, this is a great soundbase.
4 people found this helpful
on 20 September 2015
A very good sound system. I have had this a few weeks now. It is a very accomplished system. The remote control is robust and includes Blueooth for ipod/phone music playing whic is of good quality.
I chose this system based on What Hifi reviews d because it came 5th in their top 10. The other systems were considerably more expensive and larger. This suited me as it was a system that is all in one place and gives good overall sound effect for movies etc. in the room.
The unit I have is a second delivery from Canton. The first was very slightly damaged. the pick up a re delivery was super quick in a couple of days with no quibbles. I can't complain too much about the service but it's a shame the first oreder was damaged.
Overall, recommended.
on 3 December 2015
What a sweet soundbase! To be fair, I never listened to the Bose, Cambridge Audio or Denon systems so can't really compare, so you may be able to get the same quality sound for less. Saying that, I am not at all disappointed with this speaker. The sound is very clear and dialogue is not affected by the soundscape that is created by the 200 watts. I will say that the surround sound mode is a bit pointless with the stereo option sounding equally as good. If you want true surround sound, ignore your wife and buy loads of speakers, if not the get a sound bar/base. :-)
on 4 January 2016
I chose this soundbase for a couple of reasons; it's to fit into an alcove beneath a new 40" TV (ie: not enough width/space for a long soundbar), it doesn't require a separate sub (the wires for a remote sub-bass things look cluttered), and the reviews of its audio quality were excellent.
Out of the box, I managed to get the system installed within minutes. Connected to the TV, then programmed the Canton DM50 with the TV's remote so we only need the one remote so my wife doesn't complain too much.

Results: the soundbase fits perfectly under the TV-stand - literally looks like they were made for each other(and worth remembering to check measurements beforehand !). It's completely clean-looking - discreet and without trailing wires. And the sound is phenomenal. Crisp at the top end, punchy in the bass. I mean it not only makes my PS4 games sound like they're supposed to (the guns in Destiny really sound like they have oomph, and Battlefront TIE Fighters have a proper throaty screech), it makes everyday stuff sound immense. Who knew the theme for Pointless had that much sonic woof ?!
Options to change the bass and treble to suit your own taste, and to select from three preset EQs to reflect your set-up - whether the soundbase is sitting in a shelving unit, or beneath a TV, etc) You can also choose from two audio-ranges (wide and narrow). But other than that, there's no dicking about required. No Apps. No picking up your phone to change something. Really simple. And really very good.
So, in summary, a great quality product that produces terrific audio, and is more visually discreet than any other bar/base. Strong recommendation.
on 7 August 2015
I bought this a) to improve the sound quality from the TV, & b) to listen to Spotify via Bluetooth. The sound quality in both cases is remarkable given the 'box' is compact & unobtrusive, (sits very well under a 32" telly), and the surround sound performance from DVDs is pretty impressive. Stacks of volume, easy to setup & use, what's not to like. Incidentally, the first one I received was faulty ( sound disappeared, had to switch off & on to restore) - Richer sounds were superb, replaced it promptly, excellent communication & they use a great delivery company, the one that emails you with a 1-hour delivery slot...!
on 27 January 2016
A great sound bar system although i must agree with a review stating that with the Analogue Inputs there is an improvement in the quality of the sound at least in my experience.

Optical connection offers very good sound so don't hesitate to use Optical if your Tv supports it also i want to point out that the service was excellent as well the sound bar even arrived earlier then expected and everything was very neatly organized Amazon even supplied me with a Uk plug too.

Overall very happy!
on 13 February 2015
I put in a lot of time and effort researching sound bars, ended up with a short list of five, which in turn again, i researched, until this one ,was the only one left standing, after reading all the reviews on this particular subject, and boy it was worth all the hassle, so chuffed with this product, Fantastic!
2 people found this helpful
on 8 October 2015
Really pleased with this sound bar, after performing a detailed survey of available units from many other manufacturers also. Very high quality sound and the display only indicates for a few seconds while adjustment changes are being made. As a result, the unit also looks very attractive when in use. Nice size compromise also, being significantly smaller than the really large units that are available, but also much more robust and bigger than typical smaller portable units.
on 27 January 2017
Absolutely love this sleek bit of kit. The sound is amazing and I'm really pleased I bought it. Allowed me to get rid of all my surround speakers (including the sub as the bass from this soundbase is superb as well)
Thoroughly recommend. (Tip: don't mislay the remote as there are NO controls on this unit!!)
Better looking than the usual boring soundbars!!