Customer reviews

Bach: Cantatas | Complete Box Set
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 9 November 2017
For some insane reason, I've ended up with three complete sets of cantatas - the Harnoncourt/Leonhardt and Suzuki are the others - and this one is my favorite. Not as well executed and pristine as the Suzuki, but better than the Harnoncourt/Leonhardt and without the boy sopranos, this set has a sense of energy and occasion that the others lack. This is the one for me.
on 3 March 2016
Wonderful set and value
on 13 November 2015
Very Well!
on 2 October 2014
Whilst I have the Suzuki collection and thoroughly enjoy that, this collection well worth exploring for its different and direct approach. Some tempi are faster and I feel Gardiner is more ridged where Suzuki has a softer more subtle approach. I'd still listen to both having either way, it is all glorious music.
One person found this helpful
on 29 January 2014
This boxed set incl. several rcds originally published on the DG label. Card sleeves with the art work. Excellent value for money even if you already possess some of the originals.
on 31 December 2014
My comments on this are:

Excellent collection but I find this a bit pricey. I am looking forward to the Japanese chap releasing his set in SACD format.

It would be great to compare but I hope its not going to cost £150 or more.

Downgraded to 4 stars as its very dear, dear.
One person found this helpful
|33 Comments|Report abuse
on 10 February 2016
I'm really pleased to have received this so quickly. I think 8 days from the UK to Australia must be some kind of record!
I've heard many of the recordings on ABC radio on Sunday mornings and find the live performance recordings have an energy and immediacy that studio recordings don't always have, although I do have a soft spot for the Nikolaus Harnoncourt recordings, some of which I still have on vinyl.
While I was reading Gardiner's Music in the Castle of Heaven last year I wished I could hear the cantatas as I was reading his comments. Having this set will enable me to do this next year as a first project when I have retired from full time work. I'm certainly looking forward to it!
3 people found this helpful
on 19 December 2013
The box set is absolutely amazing! What an achievement. A five star product. I slightly question the choice of some soloists, but when you the marvellous Mark Padmore and others its a revelation.
on 18 May 2015
I was disappointed in that the introductory notes on the accompanying CDR were smaller than I could read on my screen and printed at the midpoint of my 8.5 x 11 sheet. It may just be that I need more technical help on my end. Otherwise, I am delighted. Had previously acquired "Castle of Heaven" & the Stokes set of translations. Both are worth the investment to me.
on 15 January 2015