on 27 October 2013
I have been a fan of Jonathan Aycliffe for the last year or so. I have read a few of his ghost story novels and bought this one on Kindle as as soon as it was available. Like the previous reviewer (who also gave it 3 stars) I too felt the book had a strong beginning and middle but fizzled out somewhat and the ending felt rather rushed and under resolved. It felt all rather shortened and underexplained. There were some great moments and descriptions but the sum of the parts didn't make a wow ghostly read. The current day character of Charles Lancaster doesn't get developed and I felt there was more to say about his life afterwards. However the plot kept me reading and in particular Octavia's character was very endearing.
VINE VOICETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 29 May 2014
And what is lacking is the quality of `under your skin ness'; it just doesn't `cut the mustard' as far as being a good ghost story is concerned and I use a very good ghost story as my bench mark; i.e. Susan Hill's `The Woman in Black', in which the mounting feeling of malevolent forces at work is palpable. Basically, it's a nice story about a nice guy, with despicable parents and dubious ancestors, who does his bit in the war and meets a nice a girl with whom he falls in love. And I enjoyed reading it. A dark old country house is involved and the bit about them `living happily ever after' could, I suppose, be disputed. One of the plusses is his delightful little sister, Octavia.

I'm a big fan of Aycliffe's and the experience of reading an average novel will not deter me from reading more of his stuff: but I'd much rather read new good quality stuff than new average quality stuff or re-read older good quality stuff!
on 25 January 2014
This is the third of his books that I've read and have the same gripe about all of them...they all keep me hooked, reading late into the the night. The characters are on the whole believable, the plots, interesting, but all of them, towards the end of the book tend to fizzle out. This one in particular had me rereading the last couple of chapters to make sure I hadn't missed something. It's like he loses enthusiasm and interest at the end of the stories and throws the ending together to get it over with. I'm left with unanswered questions and loose ends that don't completely tie up, with that "eh? Is that it" feeling. In saying that, it's still well worth a read if you're a fan of this genre . Would advise reading this one first as it didn't match my expectations. the Matrix has a new take on an old story, while Naomi's Room was the first book in a while where the main character doesn't do what I expected
Download it/read it, it's still a good read
on 17 February 2014
This is the first time I have read this author's work but as an eager fan of ghostly tales, I was really keen on this story. I cared about the central characters and found it difficult to put it to one side. The ending was abrupt however and unsatisfactory. Like some of the other reviewers, I was looking for additional pages and the content seemed very bleak given the trials that Dominic and rose had faced - the possibility that they were in some kind of purgatory in that house was miserable and I was rather relieved that others found the ending ambiguous too. It lost impetus too quickly but would still recommend for the most part.
on 26 February 2017
This book was rather creepy and very addictive. I do admit my favourite parts were the actual emotional drama moments but the creepy factor is never far off. That being said the book's conclusion is its downfall. There's a sense of a rushed ending which feels sloppy. Disappointing. Though all the build up makes a great addictive read for those long creepy evenings
on 13 September 2014
Enjoyable supernatural yarn set in Second World War Britain. The hero loses a leg but still seems to manage better then many on two. The main thing that jarred with me were his parents who were relentlessly cruel and did not appear to have one redeeming good feature between them. I found this unrealistic. That said still an ok read.
on 5 January 2015
well iv never read anything by this author so i thought id give it a go and what i found was a gripping story that kept me turning page after page untill bed time .it said not to read it before bedtime but did i listen noooo lol i must say it gave me the chills when the lights went out. Best horror book iv ever read now im looking for more of his books i cant wait for more goosebumps in the night.
on 23 May 2016
As always this author writes a great ghost story, I just wish he'd write more of them.
on 28 May 2015
Great setting, great story. Set between wartime England and long before, this is a great horror novel which will keep you gripped and in some chapters give you chills! I love locally set fictional horror and this will certainly deliver if you do too!!
on 20 January 2014
The book started out really well and had a gripping story line but as the book goes on it gets really dull and I found myself reading one chapter then reading another a few days later I was not really interested in the end. The ending of the book is a complete let down.