Customer reviews

Star Trek - Season 1
Format: Amazon Video|Change
Price:£44.99

on 23 May 2017
For many people born before the sixties or even the fifties Star Trek remains one of the all-time great television series and is still circulating on Freeview Channels today. Compared today's special effects, stage sets and in your face violence the episodes may seem tame but the characters are as much about the success of the series as anything else. Ground-breaking in its time and some very clever plots, especially in the first two series. Excellent remastered quality and excellent value.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 April 2010
I was barely two years old when the first season ended, but the series played a formative role in my preteens, mimicking in the playground the events of the episode from the night before. Captain Kirk was the voice of a 1960s liberal America, and I think the series's high ethical values have rubbed off on to me; at least I would hope so!

This set features all twenty-nine episodes of the first season of the original Trek. Alas, it does not include the pilot of `The Cage', but the twenty-nine episode total is reached by counting separately parts one and two of `The Menagerie'. The second pilot - `Where No Man Has Gone Before' - is also here. I do not propose reviewing the series - you know what Star Trek is already, right? - but rather what follows is a concise review is of the extras.

The first, and arguably most important extra is a twenty-minute film called `Spacelift'. This tells us how the film from the original series was made anew: how it was cleaned up and its contrasts strengthened, how exterior special effects were redone using CGI, but "respecting the original material", doing what the original artists would have done if they had been able. We also learn how the music soundtrack of each and every episode was re-recorded.

A second really good extra is a ninety-minute film called `Beyond the Final Frontier', which celebrated the fortieth anniversary of the series and in which we follow from start to finish the setting up of a special auction in New York of memorabilia. This really is not as bad or boring as it seems: even my other half, who is not a Trekkie, found it engrossing.

Other extras include the following: ten minutes of Shatner and his horses (yawn) in `Life Beyond Trek'; twelve minutes of Nimoy discussing in 2004 the character of Spock and his `I Am Not Spock'/`I Am Spock' books; sixteen minutes of `Sci-Fi Visionaries', focussing on the writers; thirteen minutes of "rare home movies and special memories" of series extra Billy Blackburn; eight minutes on "romance in the 23rd century" in a 2004 film called `Kiss `n' Tell'; a twenty-four minute film on `The Birth of a Timeless Legacy' (including excerpts from `The Cage'); and a nineteen minute review of season one called `To Boldly Go!' Finally, there is also a Trekker Connections quiz game for those who want to test the limits of their Trekkery.

Overall this set offers a really good package on top of the series, the digital work on which has done wonders to the originals without compromising their authenticity.
on 3 August 2017
Original Star Trek at its best with great new special effects and Loads of extra's. I prefer this over the blu Ray box set because of when you Beam into the episode that you choose to watch. You don't get that on blu Ray and No black bars on TV Screen like there is on blu Ray. Original Star Trek is a Timeless Classic.
#1 HALL OF FAMETOP 10 REVIEWERon 19 June 2011
I can honestly say I've never enjoyed watching a dvd box set as much as this one! I'm 42 and loved star trek as a kid. I probably never "really" understood it so watching this was like starting from scratch knowing about Shatner's nearing on Shakespearian overacting at times which was great and made the programmes what they were/are. I had a crush on Uhuru so seeing her in all her remastered glory was very enjoyable! The remaster looks fantastic. The Enterprise interior and exterior, space, stars, planets never looked so good. The colours of the uniforms look great and the very pale green look to Spocks skin can be seen well at times. The stories are fantastic and some of them I hadn't seen or couldn't remember so was in for a treat. The extras which there's loads of are spot on too. Listening to Nimmoy, Shatner, Nichols amongst others with their insight of behind the scenes and development of the storylines was brilliant! I can highly recommend this box set and my 13 year old has just started watching it too. Long may Star Trek live on I say!
on 22 June 2017
The first three seasons from the 60's may look a bit tacky by todays CGI standards , but their plots and content were streets ahead of anything else around . 50 years later and they're still enormously watchable , quite addictive , in fact . Just one more episode .......
on 25 July 2010
The remastering on this is fantastic, it's a real treat and gives the old series new life. The new special effects are tastefully done and the picture and sound quality are really quite gorgeous (even in standard definition)And a 5.1 surround mix to boot - the famous door swish and re-recorded theme, replete with bongos (lol) are great. And every time they fired a torpedo or phaser my nipples went hard haha joke-ish). The episodes look really great - they look now like Popart!

Am really loving reacquainting myself with the series that started it all off. It's been quite entertaining and I can't wait to get the next two seasons!x
on 3 September 2017
Superbly remastered. The edits made are in line with the quality of the original series to enhance the visual effects. I highly recommend seeing the enhanced versions if you have the chance.
on 19 May 2017
I can't remember how many times I've watched the reruns when aired on tv , because they've remastered the complete original star trek , had to buy and watch again.
on 11 April 2017
ordered this to start my tos collection but have to turn the sound right up to hear it but it was at a good price
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 March 2017
Came really fast at speed of light in a really nice box fantastic for any star trek fan