on 11 November 2012
as much as i like jonny depp in things like edward sissor hands,dont mess with the best,its got to be genne wilder,or dont bother,we want differnt looking umpa lumpas,not digital umpa lumpas of the same blummin squirt,lol,we love the proper willy wonka,makes u feel like a kid again,with abit of warm cossyness,lol,charlie and that song,i defiy,yes i cant spell people,not to have a wee tear in ur eye,even better to watch with a lump of ur favorite chocyx oh also luv genne wilder in stir crazy,hear no evil see no evil,with the great actor out of brewsters millions,watch it,say no morex
on 28 January 2018
Fantastic film, loved it as a kid still love it now and my kids love it as well.
Gene wilder is great in this film
on 24 September 2016
Great value. My 5 year old has just got into the Roald Dahl books, especially Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, so it was great to show him the magical chocolate factory on tv! Delivered quickly
on 9 November 2010
There is no greater companion to this brilliant moral tale than Gene Wilder. The invention and skill that went to make Willy Wonka is worth every penny and then as a bonus you get Charlie and the Chocolate factory which has it's own share to add to Roald Dahl's story. You will not be dissapointed, there is plenty for children and adults and the songs of Willy Wonka will stay with you like they have with me. For a long time....!

Reviewed by Julian Aged 48 and not counting.I saw it at the cinema when it came out!I was a child then and apparently still am!
5 people found this helpful
on 12 January 2017
They can remake it as many times as they want. This will always be the only great version of Roald Dahl's classic. A magical tale, beautifully filmed.
on 25 May 2016
The original and the best version of the book, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Gene Wilder is slightly darker in this version that the remake with Johnny Depp. The messages are much clearer and the characters truly get what they deserve. The songs are a perfect fit, and the remake missed the opportunity to have a "Cheer up Charlie" moment. Watch it. Love it.
on 15 October 2016
got thid dvd as my little boy loves this film and we wanted to take it camping for the journey.
he loves it and is really happy he can watch his oompas.
on 16 January 2015
This has been a favourite of my eldest son since he was very young, he is now 40. This has now been passed to his son (my grandson), who is 4 and he absolutely loves the film too. I bought him the dvd recenty and he now knows the story, the songs and the characters. It is a beautiful film and much loved, and can be seen over and over again, much better than the newer version.
on 22 September 2016
My 5 year old son loves the dvd and especially when the children dissappear but the dvd was bit costly. My son only watches the willy wonka and the chocolate factory.
on 31 May 2018
Great to have both versions! I love the original (I was born in the 70's....) and my 7 year old daughter loves the Jonny Depp version. Something for everyone!