on 30 December 2013
I got the Inateck HBU3VL3-4 to add 3 extra USB 3.0 ports to my desktop PC, which currently has 2 x USB 3.0 ports, thanks to Inateck's brilliant PCI-E to USB 3.0 card (see my review here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R1PUL93NHZT6MA/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm).

***** In The Box *****

Upon opening the box, i found:
1 x USB 3.0 Hub with Ethernet port
1 x Driver CD
1 x User Manual

***** Installation *****

This product doesn't really need much installing, but connection to my Windows 7 x64 computer was extremely simple - it was just a matter of plugging the hub into a USB 3.0 port on my PC and waiting a few seconds while windows installed the driver for the Ethernet port for me (I didn't even need the supplied driver CD).

Note!
You can also plug the hub into a USB 2.0 port, but you will not benefit from the increased speed and power that USB 3.0 brings.

***** Testing *****

I plugged my Buffalo USB 3.0 MiniStation Slim HDD, into one of the ports on the hub and then ran a CrystalDisk Mark test on the hard disk to test the read and write speeds of the drive. The Sequential Read speed was 112.5 MB/s while the Sequential Write speed was 112.8 (see product images for more detail), pretty much identical speeds as when connecting the HDD straight to the Inateck PCI-E to USB 3.0 card.

Although i haven't ran any sort of data throughput tests on the hub's included Gigabit ethernet port, i can confirm that windows shows that the ethernet port connected at 1.0 Gbps and web browsing and streaming video was as smooth as my usual 1.0 Gbps ethernet connection.

***** Conclusion *****

The Inateck USB 3.0 hub and Ethernet port, is a great little device - allowing you to easily expand the number of USB 3.0 ports available on your laptop or PC, while at the same time you get the added bonus of an extra Ethernet port.

Although the casing is made of plastic, the hub feels nice and solid and of very good quality.

The only thing that would have been nice to have, but isn't included on the Inateck HBU3VL3-4 hub, would be a power indicator LED for the USB ports and send/receive indicator LED's for the Ethernet port, but this would definitely not stop me from recommending the product in the future.
review image review image
on 3 April 2014
I love this device - 3 USB 3.0 ports and a 10/100/1000 Gigabit ethernet port all from 1 USB 3.0 socket. Perfect for Macbook Air users. Shame it is a little expensive, but I guess if you can afford a MacBook air, what's another £30 ha. Good build quality, solid cable (if a little inflexible, I'd rather that than flimsy), OK spacing between the USB sockets (you may struggle to use all of the ports if plugging something really fat into one of them). Works well. No driver installation required on Mac (I'd assume the same on Windows!).
on 5 March 2014
Exact Model: Inateck HBU3VL3-4 UK

At a Glance

Theoretically supports 5Gbps (USB 3.0), 480Mbps (USB 2.0) and 12 Mbps (USB 1.0)
Supports Gigabit Ethernet
Supports IPV4/IPV6 Full Duplex, Flow control and additional networking features.

The Inateck Gigabit Ethernet Converter and USB 3.0 3 port hub is a well built device, feeling like a good quality piece of kit, which is sturdy and well built.

If you have devices which support USB 3.0 and want them to utilise the bandwidth advantages of USB 3.0 and don't have enough ports or they are faulty then this device assists with that very well and is a great choice. I have tested numerous external USB 3.0 hard drives to test connectivity and speeds including Inateck's very own Dual docking station (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inateck-External-Including-Comaptible-Tool-free/dp/B00D1NR9MA/ref=pd_sim_computers_9?ie=UTF8&refRID=0H2P1EXN18RD5MRADKZB) which supports USB 3.0 and only noticed marginal performance decrease using the hub as opposed to directly connecting to the USB ports on the motherboard.

I also tested with a Mac book air from the anyone who has one of these will know that it doesn't include an ethernet port (Mac Book Air 2011) and also lacks in USB ports overall. This device I found was ideal to meet some of the constraints that I occasionally had with the Air. I found when testing on the Air, like the PC you will first need to use the driver disk to install the MAC OS drivers, its supports versions right from Snow leopard all the way to Mavericks as well as the latest versions of MS Windows. Includes supports for Windows 8.1 as well as included Linux drivers.

Note: When trying to use the USB ports for my iPAD2 it wasn't able to charge the device, please note it won't support charging on iPads as well as other devices with irregular charging requirements.

Please check out my video review.
on 11 February 2014
I am very pleased with the look and performance of this usb hub, I own a 2009 macbook pro running snow leopard Mac OS X and the device worked straight out of the box. It did't install any drivers it was just ready to go. It seems to be sturdy and well made and where the usb ports are there is a section of brushed stainless steel which makes it look smarter than if it were all plastic.
I was always annoyed that my macbook had only two usb ports and so close together. Certain devices are just built a bit wider and it meant only one port was usable. Now I don't just have a two usb port but 5 to choose from and a bonus ethernet port! I have used it to plug my external hard drive, iphone, ipod and it transfers files just as quickly and efficiently as if they were plugged directly onto my laptop. It is very light in weight so it won't be annoying to stick in a bag and maybe use it at work.

Overall I am very pleased and I would recommend this to a friend. It does what it's meant to do with style.

I will be uploading photos of the product.

CD containing drivers and instruction manual are included in the box.

UPDATE 15/02/2014:

Today I plugged it to the PS3 to check if it would work and IT DOES!!!! I am so pleased with this discovery. The kids have the move controllers and it such a pain not being able to charge the controllers all at once or having to stop playing because the eye camera also needs its own usb port and the batteries are low on all controllers. Excellent BONUS discovery :))
review image review image review image review image review image
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 November 2013
I actually bought this to make accessing my USB 3 ports easier than reaching around the back of my PC.

I am very pleased with its build quality and the fact there appears to be no noticeable reduction in transfer rates with attached drives using my Acronis Backup software.
on 29 December 2014
Excellent companion for Surface Pro 3. Had previously bought a cheapo USB2 hub from ebay, which lasted for about 2 weeks before breaking. This is a bit more substantial in size but feels solidly put together and USB speeds seem good (haven't formally benchmarked transfer speeds). Full gigabit LAN connection is very useful for large network transfers and where WiFi isn't available.
on 9 April 2016
works well, the hub and the Ethernet all working fine with windows 10 - drivers just worked no pain and grief here. gives my WiFi only laptop a proper cabled connection for when I upload 2-3G of photos onto my server
on 14 May 2014
This product has a very simple job and it does it incredibly well. It is well made, solid and good looking.

There really is nothing more you could ask out of a device like this, just but it if you need it really.

I also did a video review on this product.[...]
on 12 December 2014
Having recently purchased a Surface Pro 2 Tablet, I wanted the option of Ethernet connectivity and USB connections, I really didn't expect to find anything suitable, but I was wrong.

Having purchased other inateck items in the past I was very pleased to discover that they also made all-in-one Ethernet & USB adaptors.

First off, its a solid and well constructed piece of equipment, then there's the connectivity which on this model contains a Gigabit Ethernet port and 3x USB3 ports.

Upon connecting the adaptor, the USB ports work without the need for any drivers (on windows 8 anyway), however in order to use the Ethernet port, Drivers are required which come bundled on a CD within the box, however if you are like me, you will need to simply head over to the Inateck website to obtain them which is very self-explanatory.

All in all i'm very impressed and would highly recommend.
on 19 March 2014
I bought this after first checking the manufacturers website making sure it was not some broken rarely supported Chinese company. Found it was a German company with both german and english domains/website and the hardware was showing driver updates for most products on windows 8.1 (which is what I am using). I had seen another version from a different manufacturer for 10 quid less but plagued with faults so I would rather pay that extra bit of money for a better products. Anyways it works fine haven't been able to test usb3 speed fully as I have nothing to test it with was more after the ethernet port which I can add in windows 8.1 worked without any driver installation so spot on.

Would have liked to see the addition of some notification lights on the ethernet port and maybe add a powered option but all seems to work fine so I am happy.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse