on 16 September 2013
I'm a huge NIN fan. Let's get that out the way. At first when I heard this album, I loved numerous songs on it (Copy of A, Find My Way, In Two and All Time Low registering as classics almost immediately). Some of the other songs, while not being bad by any stretch didn't hit home quite as readily, and I did think there was a drop in quality in the middle section. However, having now listened to it a dozen or so times, I can happily say that repeated listens do greatly benefit this album, as it makes more sense as it goes along, both lyrically and musically. I Would For You, Everything, Various Methods of Escape and Satellite are all very good, brilliantly produced songs that each have something different to offer, and while there is definitely more of a Prince vibe going on than for any of his previous releases, he pulls it off with some aplomb. I'd agree with previous reviews stating that Running is the only weak moment, but even that now has a certain charm to it for me. 2 out of the 3 remixes on the deluxe edition are excellent too - the Find My Way one is just a bit odd to me though...

Best work since The Fragile? Absolutely. Best album of 2013 - even above the incredible Like Clockwork. Yes to that one too!
on 21 November 2013
I was prepared for a bit of a disastrous album after hearing the first couple of tracks off the album; however, I couldn't have been more wrong

Since Trent Reznor is now married and has two kids it was inevitable that his music would start to shift, and it would have been disappointing if he had sat still stylistically.

I really like the album, still dark and brooding, with what can only be described as 'dirty' basslines on some of the tracks. Much more acessible to non-NIN fans, and almost PHM-like in it's heavy use of electronic sounds. For me it's a big improvement on Year zero and the slip, which just didn't do it for me!
on 6 October 2017
Trent Reznor has always impressed me with how he writes music he's a very talented musician, and I always love to hear something different. Hesitation marks is a Very different nine inch nails album compared to some of his previous work, his best being The downward spiral and the fragile, unlike the traditional industrial sound we're used to hearing Hesitation marks goes for a electronic style which is unique.
on 17 September 2013
As with all Nin albums this has a very unique feel about it. Through the entire album you can easily detect other NiN albums while still sounding different in it's own way. This is something Mr. Reznor has excelled in throughout his career. It sounds familiar but different. If your expecting anything like a return to the days of the downward spiral be prepared for a disappointment. If anything it sounds more like the with teeth era but still has its own identity. NiN never stay still and never look back. Always moving forward trying new things and it's a testament to them that after all these years they are as relevant as ever.
on 7 November 2013
Absolutely love the album. There are some people who would say it's not classic NIN, but I think Trent has found himself here. He is a happy man now and he always manages to come up with new and exciting stuff. It has a familiarity about it, but it manages to be bang up to date. So many good tracks ,but at the moment my personal favourites are "Satellite", "All Time Low" and "I Would For You".
Buy this and do yourself a favour - you won't regret it. Trent is a legend!
on 12 December 2013
Being a return after several years and on a major label again I'd expected a big brash commercial album (maybe something closer to With Teeth) but Reznor has really pushed himself into some interesting musical corners here, you get the sense he's deliberately pushing out of his comfort zone. The results aren't always immediately punchy and accessible, but they're absorbing and it's an album that, all the best, reveals it's brilliance more and more with each listen.
on 5 March 2014
Being a fan of the majority of NIN's music, the prospect of a new album was obviously exciting. Having heard only 'Copy Of A' before listening to the entire album, I was intrigued to hear what they had created next. On my first listen, I was dubious at whether or not I was impressed. On my second listen, I felt much the same, perhaps even a little 'Disappointed' (sorry). Rather than abandon it, I felt perhaps I wasn't 'getting' it, and continued to give it my time. Listen by listen, I grasped onto each and every song and now (having listened to it on and off since it's release) can easily describe this album as a classic.

The album glides flawlessly from track to track, maintaining the classic NIN sound yet simultaneously sounding fresh and new. Every track is rich with depth, and I have found myself finding something new in it after every listen. Despite such depth, all sounds are used brilliantly sparingly, with nothing gone to waste; complete quality over quantity. My only concern for some NIN fans would be the lack of much heaviness within the album, something I initially missed, but soon got over after my appreciation of the album grew and grew. Though the album is in itself worthy of your time and money, my personal stand-out tracks would include Various Methods of Escape, Satellite and In Two.

So, don't hesitate...
on 15 October 2013
I have been a fan of this band since I first heard them in 1990, a live version of get down,make love on rapidido.
This album captured nin's transformation in to a much rounded band, a re imagined band that leans more to trent's last project HTDA. Most of the angst, rage and self loathing is gone, this isn't a return to form that many predicted, its not the downward sprial mkII and that's a good thing. This is a new defined nin, moving in a direction they were always heading in, almost full circle. There are some great tracks here, copy of A, came back haunted and various methods of escape. Its an album that needs to be heard, listened to properly because there's so much definition and detail in each song!
on 11 June 2014
I do very much like this Album though not as much as say The Fragile. The 4 and 5 star reviews here pretty much cover it. This album is just different, more electronic, but having just seen him live at Manchester I can say that he has not lost the ability to deliver his previous stuff at all. This album reflects where he is now which to me is much more preferable than to have him producing poor imitations of his previous stuff.
on 9 January 2015
Arguably NIN's best album, consistently excellent songs all the way through. In fact its quite hard to choose a favourite because their are so many enjoyable tracks. This album appears to have divided opinion among NIN fans although its not as complete a departure from their previous work as some of the reviews may lead you to think. It's perhaps a little more contemplative and more 'funky' than many NIN fans might like. If you have enjoyed the development of Trent Reznor's music this far, you will be very happy with this album.