on 13 January 2014
The heading says it all. I must point out that I bought this printer after extensive research on cheap, good quality and affordable printers, in which this one topped the polls. I finally had a look on 'WHICH' magazine and this printer was said to be the most affordable and also this printer had the cheapest inks you could get from an inkjet. The ink prices is what sold this printer to me.
33 comments| 180 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 December 2013
The main reason I bought this printer is that it has wi-fi, I can print things from the phone, Ipad etc. Multifunctional which is useful. It also has bigger capacity ink cartridges which are cheaper to replace than other brands.
0Comment| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 March 2014
Bought this to replace a brother printer, thought for the cost £55, it wouldn't be up to much but as it's only to print out occasional email or kids homework would be fine. It is more than fine, print quality is excellent, very easy to set up, connected to iPad wirelessly and home p.c. via USB, easy peasy. Would thoroughly recommend and cartridges are so cheap, used to pay £22 each for our old hp cartridges, this one comes with a set already and then replacements are about. £9 a set (4 cartridges). Haven't tried scanning etc yet but am sure it's going to be a winner.
on 4 November 2013
Well, I dithered & procrastinated The more I read about printers, the less enchanted I was & the less sure of buying what I wanted. I do not know exactly why I decided to buy a Brother, but I contacted them twice with queries & they were extremely helpful. So, they are there to sell, but there was no pressure at all. I eventually settled on this model, really because it was the cheapest. My requirements for a printer/scanner/photocopier are very modest. I do not print photographs, seldom scan, occasionally need to copy a document & print odd pages off the internet. I am unable to read for a long time sitting in front of a computer, so I like the printed paper in front of me sometimes. My husband also likes a piece of paper in front of him.

I did not even need to use the CD to install this machine. The instructions are very simple to follow & show on the printer screen, as well as in the supplied booklet . It is quite different from previous printers I have owned in it's paper loading, but not difficult. It prints quickly, even giving a black & white option (which I have missed in the 2 previous printers I owned.One was an Epson but I cannot remember the other now). It is slow at photocopying so would not suit an office or an impatient person! I do not yet know how the ink cartridges will perform/last. I keep the power connected as advised, but the printer sleeps when not in use, quickly coming back to life when needed & NOT going through that ink charging process so hated by so many.

I have only had this little Brother a week now, so fingers crossed I do not have any negative reports in the future.

02/03/2014 This is a later post & I wanted to correct what I stated above re copying. It is NOT slow at all. I do not know how I came to say that, so apologies are required. I am very happy with my little Brother.
0Comment| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 April 2014
EDIT: Just to follow up to this, I've been using it a few weeks now, it is so so much more ink efficient - I've been through an entire ream and my refillables are still ~70% full. I haven't had to head clean it once, either. :-)

EDIT 2: Another follow up. It turns out the ink carts do get disabled at chip-level once they are completely empty unfortunately, so if you refill then you will need some ARC chips (that usually come with them). They seem okay if you refill before they're empty though.

1) It uses sensors to detect how full the cartridge is, not the chip, so refilling them is way easier. You can swap the chips onto some refill cartridges (the ones I bought anyway) as no data seems to be stored about ink levels on them. The printer asks you if you replaced a cartridge if you remove, refill and replace it - if you hit yes, it resets it back to full. No more of Epson's guessing how full the cartridge is and then disabling it.
The carts are also at the front, behind a little door - not inside the printer. It has a CISS sort of mechanism. I think Brother may produce the only refillable printers now - Epson have disabled most non-genuine carts in their newest firmware update.

2) It doesn't go through the horrific ink purge cycle every time you turn it on, power it off or breathe on it - you save the date and time on it and it does all the maintenance itself when needed. At least 1/3 to 1/2 of the ink in my Epson just ended up in the waste ink tank. Not only does this save an awful lot of ink, it also saves a lot of time - and after a week's use I haven't seen it need to head clean, or manually had to head clean it, in the slightest.

3) The purge tank counter can (supposedly) be reset using the maintenance menu - meaning when the ink pads eventually get saturated, you can wash and dry them and then reset the counter, and keep using it like normal. (this is what killed my XP-205 in 8 months and there's no way of resetting those). Pretty sure the ink pads are under a small door on the bottom but I don't want to fiddle with anything until I need to.

4) It has a paper tray so it doesn't stick out the back irritatingly.

5) There's a "scan-to-file" function that lets you scan a file directly into a folder on your computer using the controls on the printer, as either PDF or JPEG. After you scan, it asks you if you want to scan any more pages - if you do, these pages will also be added to the PDF. A job that took hours on the Epson would probably take about 20 minutes maximum here.

6) No more annoying flashing LEDs and it goes into sleep mode when not being used, like some laser printers do.

Only gripe is the scanner is really bright and I can't get the settings to save changes, and it took some troubleshooting with port forwarding to get print-to-file to function (I had to open 54921 in addition to 54925 which the installation adds for it to work)
11 comment| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 March 2014
I have been an advocate of HP for about 20 years however having been disappointed with my last HP device which decided to stop printing anything in black (lots of people having the same issue according to a google search) I began my search for a replacement printer-copier-scanner. Having looked at several devices from several manufacturers I opted for the DCP-J132W and I have not been dissappointed. Firstly, it is so effortless to setup, it is pretty much just plug and play. Secondly, the paper is fully enclosed within a drawer, which is common on higher range printer its no so common at this price. Thirdly, I have been unable to find fault with it during operation, it's quiet, fast and produces high quality printing. Scanning is also effortless. I also like the ink cartridge access being on the front of the device, much better location than many other devices I have had in the past. I have every confidence this printer will last for years to come but I am already impressed enough to make another brother my next choice. Goodbye HP.
on 29 December 2013
I wanted a cheap AIRPRINT printer. This printer is great it lets me print directly to it from my iphone, mini iPad, macbook pro and macbook air.
Why not 5 stars? Well I found the instructions for setting up very confusing and wasted a lot of time on the setup. It is strange the usb port is inside the machine under the platen where you put paper for scanning!! No usb cable is provided. This does not worry me as I only want to use this as a wireless printer. It has the most complicated ink cartridges I have come across. Ink costs are expensive as with epson printers. I am trying cheap substitutes!!
To setup I selected network and Wlan setup, entered my network SSID and password. Then I found everything on the network, iphone, mac computers and iPads could print with no further setup.
on 18 April 2014
Great value for money multifunction printer.
A bit fiddly to get the wifi working but I used a USB cable to get the connection and now the wifi works perfectly stand alone.
Very easy and fast for photocopying.
Colour Printing is not "photo quality", but perfectly adequate for everyday documents and general printing.
Easy to fit the individual black and 3 colour cartridges and cheap to buy replacements.
Overall I am very impressed.
This is an easy to use, reasonably priced printer - that produces effective, good quality prints. I fully recommend it for both personal use and for small businesses.

It's a good brand - Brother - and works as both a printer and a scanner. It takes 3 colour cartridges and 1 black (4 in total), and they're easy to fit and replace. It did take me about 45 minutes to initially set up - as you've got to input all the information regarding your internet connection, so the printer can work wirelessly.

Once up and running, it's so simple to use! You can request a print remotely (so long as you're online), rather than needing to have your computer directly connected to the printer.

The paper tray takes about 150 sheets of paper. I've found that, using just black ink, you can print up to 1,000 sheets of writing before needing to replace the ink. And, if you print colour photos, you can get about 50 to 80 reasonable quality A4 prints from a set of inks.

I've had this printer for a while, and there have been occasions - say, when I've gone on holiday - when I've not used the machine for a few weeks. I find that, after not being used in a while, the printer needs to be re-calibrated ... this takes about 5 minutes (and the machine does it itself).

Overall, a really good looking machine that performs well. Okay, it's not an industrial machine. Nor does it print perfect photos. But for printing letters, labels and leaflets it's great.
UPDATED AUGUST 2015 - SEE FINAL PARAGRAPH

After a lot of research (and dithering) I finally decided to get the Brother DCP-J132W printer, and so far I am glad I did. I will cover the set up procedure at the end of the review, as that is the most boring bit as far as I am concerned!

On the plus side, it is a nice looking uncluttered machine and is quite compact, the surface is a matt finish so unlike my previous extremely shiny Epson it doesn't show marks, and seems to attract less dust. The paper is loaded into an internal tray which slots into the front of the machine, so it avoids having a paper feed stuck up at the back. It uses four separate ink cartridges, which means you only have to replace them one at a time as each runs out, and the black cartridge is a bit bigger than the others, which seems sensible. Also, the cartridges are loaded into a compartment on the front of the machine so it is much easier to get at them. The machine can be left switched on permanently - after a few minutes it goes into a sleep mode, which allegedly uses almost no power, but means when you do want to print something it is ready almost instantly with none of the annoying and seemingly endless whirring and clattering noises that other machines make, until they decide to allow your print job to proceed, having wasted quantities of ink in the meantime. Printing itself is also comparatively quiet compared to my previous Epson, and the Canon that I had before that. All good so far.

On the downside, there is no automatic double sided printing option, so if you need this then think again - OK, you can print one page at a time and juggle with the paper tray which would be all right for very occasional use but not as a regular thing. On the same note, it would probably not be practical if you need to change the paper very often for printing photos, envelopes, etc. And for some reason the USB socket is inside the machine under the scanner bed - WHY???? It is not easy to find (even Brother seem to admit this, as they put a special sticker on the side of the machine to tell you where it is) and you then have to feed the USB lead out of the back via a special channel, so you might need a longer lead to allow for this (no USB lead is supplied by the way). SO, if a you might need to use a USB connection, beware. The only other adverse comment I have is that the lid for the scanner seems a bit wobbly and insecure when you open it, but this is because it has been designed to accept books for scanning if required, so a straightforward hinging mechanism would not be suitable. I now use both hands when opening the lid - problem sorted.

Now my thoughts about the set up procedure. Like almost any technological item now, the instructions are not particularly user friendly - do manufacturers ever road test their instructions on Joe Public before releasing them? You are provided with a Quick Start Guide which I actually found to be quite good as far as the mechanical stuff was concerned (unpacking, loading paper, loading cartridges etc). Once you have done all that, the machine goes into a cleaning process for several minutes (how did it get dirty in the first place?) and it then offers you a set-up wizard function on the LCD screen, so at that stage I abandoned the Quick Start Guide and went with the wizard. This takes you through various stages, like the date and time, and selecting your wireless network. Entering the password was a bit laborious as you only have a left or right arrow to select each character. It was then just a matter of installing the drivers as necessary. I have a laptop running on Windows 7 Professional, so went to that first as my other devices don't have a CD drive. In the end though I didn't use the CD but did a web search instead, in case the CD version had been updated. There was an option to make the printer available to all other devices on the network, which I selected. So, after about an hour all told, I was up and running, and printing from my laptop, MacBook Air, iPad and iPhone, all with no problem, and the print quality is good.

In summary then, I am very happy with this printer, but it might not suit if you want to use a USB connection, or to swap the paper supply regularly. I am still on the original supplied cartridges, but have got some non-Brother ones ready for when they run out - I will update this review once I have tried these out to confirm whether or not the printer accepted them.

UPDATE ADDED AUGUST 2015
Surprisingly, the supplied ink cartridges lasted about a year which is far longer than I expected given that they usually have much less ink in them than a standard cartridge. Anyway, I have now replaced all four with non-Brother cartidges, which I bought on eBay for under £1 each including delivery, and they installed with no problems at all. I have now been using them for a month or so and the print quality seems as good as the originals. Not sure if I would buy this printer again though, as on Amazon at least the price seems to have more tha doubled since I got mine for about £56 - shop around!!