on 10 December 2014
I bought this as my regular witchy writers have nothing new at the moment and I am glad I did. It is such an easy read and exactly what I was looking for ,think Harry Potter for grown up girls, loved reading all about the special witch/wizard world and looking forward to read how Vivi manages the "alliance* with the wizard from the Direwoods.Has a lot of promise, so I`m off to buy the second book.
on 8 December 2014
This book is a witchy, cosy, mystery. I really liked it and couldn't wait to see what happens next.
I loved the characters and I am looking forward to reading more about them.
I have already bought the other two books.
on 22 April 2016
I did enjoy reading this book and liked the cover, although it was a little slow in parts and there were bits that didn't flow so well. I thought the concept had the author's own original take on the whole witchcraft theme, which I found to be stimulating. This book introduced many interesting characters but I didn't really connect with any of them because there was something lacking, although there will be adequate opportunity for character development in future books. I really liked the ending and fully intend on reading the next one which I hope will be a better experience, because even though I liked this book there was just something missing for me. However, I don’t think it was so bad considering this was the author’s first book.

SPOILER ALERT (DON’T READ UNLESS YOU HAVE READ THE BOOK):
I thought community service for Miranda’s actions was far too lenient a consequence, after all I would have thought that stealing powers (even if she was only taking a little bit) would be considered a heinous crime among witches. She also lied and caused Vivi bodily harm which endangered her life so I was surprised that Vivi decided not to take any action. I didn’t really understand Vivi’s attitude towards Miranda or her twin, who just seemed power mad without any regard for others and willing to take what they wanted no matter the harm to others. Although they weren’t directly responsible for the crimes, their hunger for power was definitely a contributory factor towards the motivations behind the crimes being committed. I just thought they should have had to take more responsibility for both the conscious and unconscious part they played in the crimes. As for everyone’s ready acceptance of how much they had contributed to society irritated me, after all they attained lots of power and wealth doing it. When talking of their achievements all they talked about was the acquisition of power and not how they had helped anyone. I found Vivis’ attitude and actions weak at points especially in her dealings with flawed law keepers and the twins – for someone who seemed to claim justice/saving the witch was important she didn’t really show true commitment by standing up for it but instead seem to given in to the status quo. This just didn't really seem authentic to me.
on 3 July 2014
A fantastic read, I must admit I couldn't put it down
A well thought out story and super characters
I would recommend reading this volcano wait to start the next,
I hope there is more to come
on 20 September 2015
But for me the story didn't deliver. Great idea, though, and will try another just in case I'm being too critical. It just felt odd in places, the language didn't flow naturally - there was one point describing a change of clothes where it read as though a box of adjectives had been sprinkled on the page.
on 1 June 2015
wonderful witchy magic excellent storyline and fascinating characters a generally all round spellbinding read. The premise is a little different from the usual with the witches living in a separate world but is entirely captivating.
on 12 July 2014
Great story. Some good twists and a lovely ending. couldn't put the book down. Going to buy the next one.
on 11 January 2015
I really enjoyed this, although I found it a little slow in places. That may be more down to my mood when reading it though.

I will definitely give the next one a go to see how it evolves.
on 22 November 2015
I have enjoyed reading this book as much as the others. They are very hard to put down once i have started reading them. Lauren Quick please write more about The Mayhem Sisters.
on 4 November 2013
I loved the characters. The writing was descriptive, but not too flowery. I read this so quickly, because I could not put it down. I can't wait to start on her next book.