on 2 October 2017
Pity, after looking forward to building this attractive model let down by the toothed - timing belt which stretched so thatit became unfit for purpose and caused a considerable amount of damage. A great disappointment after putting the time in, checking that everything was running smoothly at every stage.
As a retired engineer I bought this kit to not only to teach patience to my grandchildren but to show the reward afterward with a "working" model

Sadly now its just an expensive ornament and a killer for enthusiasm
on 27 December 2017
Its becoming a sort of tradition over last few years that we hold the annual boxing day family gathering and, having a few engineers in the family after eating and chatting, a few of us usually gather around the kitchen table to construct a model of some kind with some of older children. This year was no different and we all worked on the Haynes V8 I had bought from Amazon months back at a reduced price. It proved to be fairly challenging in places but great fun and took about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs in total. Manual very good. Only tools needed were a small screwdriver and a craft knife to remove the burrs from the parts. Three AA batteries also needed. Very satisfying to complete. We will be looking for something equally challenging for next year.
on 15 January 2018
I have completed models for many decades, from boxed kits to doing scratch built and even to actually owning a Chevrolet 5.7 V8 small block in my Truck so I was extremely disappointed with this model . It makes me wonder if Haynes do random quality control and get one off production and make one up as the quality is awful. Considering it's supposed to be glue free kit , don't be fooled as there is nothing worse as to when switching the thing on at completion and then watch a plastic engine virtually destroy itself . Twice I had to unscrew everything to sort out the problems. Be extremely careful not to stretch the timing belt by a millimetre as you are not going to achieve any movement . Save your money unless you want an expensive desk top ornament that will catch dust and be eventually binned .... like will probably happen to mine.
on 9 September 2017
Nice project to work on with others. Bought 4 of these for a beginner mechanics course and they helped students to understand the internal workings of the combustion engine. Managed to find more cheaper than this also at a later date,stock that was in a sale but knew they were good products from buying them at Amazon. Thanks again. Good product! !
on 17 December 2017
I didn’t expect Rolls-Royce standards of fit and finish for this kit but I am very disappointed in the quality of the built-up item for the following reasons.
The distributor that fits on the end of Camshaft “B” does not run true and causes the Camshaft to seize when assembled.
The timing belt is too loose and loses grip.
I sent it back.
on 22 March 2017
So very happy with this, chap loved it especially when it...perfect present for a engine lover
on 25 July 2017
Very impressed with this model. Some reviews had issues with its movement but it works very well for me. Some parts are small and tricky to fit but taking time and follow instructions carefully and all will be good. Younger kids may struggle with build on own. Only little snag is it's slow to revolve but suppose that's just me being picky but you can see it all move better that way.
on 21 October 2017
Don't know about educating kids about internal combustion engines, I bought this model for myself and it's brought back memories of my youth tinkering with car engines. I looking forward to making this model.
on 13 January 2018
Mu husband got this over the Christmas, something to pass the time. He and my Dad put it together in about 3 hours - enjoyed every minute of it. Will be a brilliant learning tool for our homeschooled children.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 14 July 2015
I purchased this with some caution for my 16 year old sons birthday, having looked at some of the negative reviews.
In the end it was the best fit for purpose so I took the risk.
Was it easy - No - It challenged a 16 year old to take care and read the instructions - we had two partial rebuilds!
However using a file to remove the waste plastic on rotating parts resolved the only issue with the kit, its a model after all!! This morning, having occupied a 16 year old lad for several days, I was presented with a fully working V8 engine model which was exactly as sold by Haynes.
Its been one of the most positive experiences present wise in a long time, as I write this I can hear him turning it on upstairs to watch how it works.
I suspect the negative reviews are where the assembly has hit not following the instructions carefully ( as happened) and failing to understand that if bits don't quite marry up then an error has occurred.
Care and patience will result in a brilliant experience.
Would I buy again - a resounding Yes