TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 December 2013
I liked Mr Keevil's two previous novels which were modern cozies but funny with it. This one follows on from Juan Foot In The Grave with our two intrepid detectives cruising home because their flight was cancelled due to Icelandic volcano activity and finding murder most foul aboard ship. As usual there is a plethora of suspects with punning names (the victim, a tabloid reporter, is called Ira Veal) and no alibis but Inspector Constable manages to figure it out with the denouement in true Golden Age style - all suspects round a dining room table, motives revealed and the murderer unmasked. I didn't find this one as funny as the others but it is a good read as Mr Keevil has a friendly style of writing and great dialogue which really draws you in. It is easy to see the suspects' secrets but impossible to guess whodunit so you have to keep reading. This is a good way to pass a few undemanding hours and I recommend this as pleasant escapism.
on 30 April 2018
I am reading this series in order and thoroughly enjoying the stories. Mr Keevil tells a good tale. Whilst the series do follow on I see no reason that they don't make a stand alone read.
on 4 April 2015
It was 1 April when I started reading this and I thought someone had played an April Fools Joke on me! I have been on many cruises and at first this book read as a brochure for a cruise holiday. I didn't like the stupid humour - the policemen are called Copper and Constable. I am struggling to finish this book and I can definitely say I wont be buying any more from this author. I prefer a straightforward crime novel.
on 20 January 2014
Modern lighthearted Agatha Cristie type detective story set on a cruise ship. Easy and fun to read and I could dip in and out if I wanted to. I didnt and I sat and finished it this morning all in one go ; believable suspects with loads of clues and it kept me guessing to the end. I cant wait till the next book this summer.
on 13 March 2018
good read
on 1 March 2014
As with all Roger keevil,s Andy constable books this is very well written good storyline and plenty of interesting suspects. the working relationship between constable and his sergeant copper works very well in the books. kev dilks
One person found this helpful
on 31 July 2014
Andy constable and Dave copper are normal detectives who always find themselves close to a murder. The book is very easy to read. This is the 3rd book in the series and I am really starting to like the characters. The stories and crimes are always well thought out and enjoyable.
on 13 April 2014
Another great book by Roger Keevil. Very clever story line that keeps you thinking til the end. A fab set of books that most wanna be detectives will love to read. Looking forward to book 3!
One person found this helpful
on 16 May 2014
A well constructed tale with good characters which held my interest for all of the book.Will let the rest of the family read this book.
on 3 February 2015
This is the second I have read in this series. A jolly good read, very well written and flows easily; very enjoyable. I particularly like all the characters' names - Journalist Ira Veal, Stock Market Trader Baxter D Wall - and so on. I think this would make a lovely tv series.