Format: DVD|Change

This is a splendid piece of work as a body is found in a loft of a building split into a number of flats. The place has enough red herrings to start a small fish shop but gamely gives you every possible clue (and then a few more). Every flat-owner has issues. The investigating officer has a few of his own too, but is played with admirable calm by David Threlfall. In a genre that, in the UK, is full with old thespians chewing scenery with yet another unlikely serial killer: this series is all the more effective of involving suspects who are all too ordinary and an officer who looks like he just might know a bit of procedure. At four episodes be prepared for the temptation to watch them all in one fell swoop.

The series did sell me more than one dummy as I'd have nicked several more wrong suspects before being investigated by the Independent Police Complaints Commission....
on 21 October 2013
I thought this was a great drama for most of the time. All the characters were well thought out and well acted, and David Threlfall was excellent as the retiring detective. I liked the way the action would cut back to show glimpses of the dead girl's rather sad life - an excellent performance - and how everyone in the large old house, now divided into separate flats, had related to her. None of them were telling the truth to the police, as was shown in these flashbacks, but the big question was why did they lie, and which lies were important?
I watched each episode on consecutive nights on the DVD and was so hooked that I didn't know whether I wanted to watch the final episode or not, as it meant the end of the story. Unfortunately, as someone else has said, the very end descended literally into overkill, and I sat open-mouthed as the final credits rolled, wondering if a different writer had penned the final fifteen minutes. It made sense, just about, but stretched the suspension of my disbelief to its limit. All the same, for most of the time it was an outstanding piece of drama, and I'd love to see more like it, but with a better ending.
on 5 July 2014
Oh wow I really loved this series. The plot and the acting are first class. From the start I was gripped. I just couldn't wait to play the next episode. I didn't actually see this BBC series when it went to air but I remember my family members discussing it. I am so pleased I have now watched it. I would recommend this series if you enjoy a good crime drama with a lot of twists and turns and everyone is a suspect. Enjoy!
on 3 June 2015
A really good series, not something I have seen before when on TV. Keeps you guessing as to who is the culprit, kept thinking it was this person then changed my mind to another one, and so on. A surprise when I found out who did it.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 7 November 2013
A house is divided into five apartments. The mummified body of a resident (Melissa) is found in the attic. She has been there for at least two years. The other residents have not missed her and profess to knowing little if anything about her. David Threlfall (superb as Detective Len Harper), believes she has been killed by someone in the house. He is widowed and just retired so officially should not be on the case that becomes an obsession. Gradually the dark sides and secrets of the occupants are revealed with their underlying emotions, especially of anger and jealousy. Tony Bagsallop, the series writer, has produced an effective, tense and often brilliant whodunit. The plots stretch the imagination at times, but the acting and characters are excellent by a mostly unglamorous cast and the cinematography first-rate.

Harper seems to empathise with the emotionally neglected Melissa and the loneliness she had to endure which he fears for his own future. The threat of being alone along with control are strong features of this four-parter where couples prefer to be together whatever the circumstances even in this hell-house. The ending is dramatic and controversial, mostly out of context with previous happenings. Also, the killer could have been a non-resident who could have entered the house as it was mostly empty during the day and doors locked. The body must have given off some malodourous smell and Melissa had no mail, not even junk, through the letter box to arouse suspicion. With subsequent events, these would have not been in anyone's interest and the writer, correctly, keeps matters on one site. Just a few thoughts). Nevertheless, this is a captivating, entertaining and thrilling murder mystery.
on 1 June 2015
Extremely good thriller. Good acting by all parties. There are a lot of red herrings to throw you off course and all the people in the building have something to hide. It isn't until the last 15 minutes that you actually discover what happened and who killed the girl in the loft. It keeps you hooked until the last minute. I would recommend this.
on 14 November 2013
What Remains was a very gripping though gory serial. I bought this DVD because I'd missed the third episode and I'd heard that that gave the clue to the whole thing. It was good to watch the whole thing from beginning to end and learn who the people in the house were and what they had to do with the murdered girl. I'll probably watch it again sometime.
on 16 October 2013
We had caught the first two episodes of this four-parter on television but were abroad when the final two episodes were aired. Rather than cancel the trip (!) we immediately ordered the DVD for its release. When it arrived, we decided that we would watch the first two parts again, to remind ourselves of where we were up to, and we ended up watching the whole thing in one afternoon/evening, which possibly made the action more pacy than it otherwise would have been. This is excellent drama and grips throughout, keeping the viewer guessing right to the end, as the connections between the various characters are revealed. Among a convincing cast, David Threlfall excels as the just-retired detective. Well worth watching and an example of the kind of drama the BBC can do very well.
on 21 October 2014
"What Remains" is a drama primarily about peoples concern for one another and the lack of it. An amazing team of actors gives an unsurpassed effort in an ensemble performance of a caliber rarely seen anywhere else in the world, done without firearms. In over fifty years of watching television I've never seen better. Gary Brodnax
on 26 December 2013
Beautifully crafted programme. Well written and brilliantly directed. A who dun it or what happened , keeps you guessing. Not the usual run of the mill mystery. Really great characterisation - so few likeable characters is a brill touch. Not giving any of the plot away as it is so so good. Buy it and enjoy! Saw the series and loved it, bought this as present and recipient can't stop thanking me!