Format: DVD|Change

on 22 February 2015
Excellent, cant wait for series 2. Did not have high expectations for this series, but have been proved wrong.
Only niggle is the jon voight character, stretches credibility. I realise this character is supposed to be a love him or hate
him one, I am afraid I am decidedly in the later. The series would certainly not suffer if he was absent from the season.
on 12 January 2014
Ray Donovan (Liev Schreiber) is about a guy who has a role of " a mister fixit " for a law firm, he fixes problems for his firms clients, but like the Sopranos, all the episodes deal with his family/personal situations as well, the main one being the story behind the release from prison of his father (Jon Voight), and a dark secret involving his brothers/sister. I was hooked from episode 1, the acting is fantastic, the story is deeply riviting and i look forward (hopefully) to a second series.

for more info go here [...]
on 31 July 2014
I purchased this based on the 5 star reviews. Yes - I suppose it's OK. Am I waiting to get Series Two. No!. It is hard to put a finger on what is wrong with it. Too much explicit sex? Well I purchased Boardwalk Empire Series One at the same time, again based on a friend's recommendation, and the explicit sex is just as bad or worse so perhaps this is now the trend. The thing is, and I am not a prude, it just adds nothing to the plot perhaps even slowing it down. Also I find I cannot connect with the characters and I am certainly no boxing fan - which doesn't help. Have been spoilt by Breaking Bad, Dexter and The Wire. These did not have to depend on sexual content just great story telling.
on 8 December 2015
If you described this to me, I'd probably dismiss it as another load of TV crap. That said, I've watched many episodes and I'm hooked, the mystery is I don't yet understand why. This man does some bad things, but he has compassion. He drinks whisky which I am sure helps him escape his heavy reality. He's actually a reasonable guy - a very reasonable guy. But.

As I say, I'm not sure why I am entirely compelled to watch this series but I find myself doing so. It is brilliantly acted and - despite the distant story - maybe finds a little bit of connection in my own life. Strong characters, a mob guy as a father and a lot of other stuff going on. Highty recommended and for me addictive.
on 31 December 2015
This is a brilliant crime series that really draws you in and becomes very addictive to watch, it has a great cast, Jon Voights very funny in it, he plays Rays Father and storyline which just gets better and better with every episode, its about a professional fixer who sorts other people money problems out whether it be to do work or drug deals but as he gets busy sorting everyone elses problems out, it the problems with his own family that prove hardest to fix!!
on 6 June 2016
Sorry I sent off from this on a whim, thought it sounded ok, just could not get into it at all.
Never mind it is in the charity bag and I am sure someone will like it.
I did only watch two episodes. It was a keen price, fast delivery and good seller.
Thank you.
I'd never heard of this, but it came up on my Prime pages, so I checked out the reviews and decided it was worth a go. Suffice it to say, this is fantastic. Very gritty, with suitably stratospheric amounts of violence and strong language, this is similar to The Sopranos and the like.

Ray himself is a great character, kind of Jack Reacher-ish and afraid of no one, and there's a strong supporting cast too. The long-suffering wife is a good character, well played by Paula Malcomson, but the kids are as annoying as in most shows. Ray's father Mickey is equally annoying, but plays a massive part in the show and is very well done by John Voight.

The premise of the show is that Ray's a fixer who solves people's awkward problems. He knows everyone and is scared of no one, and isn't afraid to break a few bones or kill people if that's what it takes.

It all sounds a bit clichéd, but it has a realistic feel and works really well. Many's the episode where we've said "next one, we need to see what happens".

The good news is that Season 2 is even better, with some real shocks, and we're disappointed that Season 3 isn't available yet.
on 14 December 2014
Simply outstanding.
First-rate casting that surprises you as each new character emerges throughout the series.
The lead-character of 'Ray' portrayed by Liev Schreiber is nothing short of 'unflinchingly brilliant' in it's portrayal from start to finish.
John Voight gives an epic performance of a flawed and relentlessly unforgivingly brutal character throughout.
There is so much depth and candor in each performance that it makes it very difficult to find a shortcoming in this Showtime feature
Others to watch: James Woods, Stephen Bauer - both standout performances in their own right.
on 6 December 2014
That was amazing. Could not stop watching it. Just simply wow. Fantastic writing, superb production and exceptional actors, all and every one of them. This is simply the best show I have watched in a very long time. Am holding my breath for the next series. Simply breathtaking. Cannot give this enough praise. I loved it, every moment, every character. Quite literally it is perfect. Wow. I may well watch it all over again!
on 2 February 2015
it shouldn't be this good, it begins like a melodrama but the characters reveal themselves and their vulnerabilities slowly and in the end it works as fine drama