Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 December 2015
My Wife died and I needed the song "Your My Best Friend" to be played for her Celebration of her Life. The CD arrived on time. I owe a big Thank You to Amazon for their excellent service
Hugh Campbell
on 30 July 2016
Don Williams when he was at his best! Harmony and Visions (Visions on another 3 album set) were certainly the best two albums of Don, pure genius from a truly unique and talented artist! Every line of lyric is sheer poetry, coupled with the powerful emotion and conviction that is Don Williams. Songwriting at its best!
These albums were from the best of his time and talent, being masterful in their simplicity of his backing groups. Only Don Williams could provide a tearjerker of a song that would still get your foot tapping!
Those first ten albums or so, will always have pride of place in my CD collection. They were before the time when his songs/albums were then mixed and remixed, putting string orchestras etc into the background which totally spoiled them for me! From about the time of the "Yellow Moon" perhaps?
So, like Elvis, who some like the Sun recording days as opposed to his Las Vegas days, it is with Don Williams. Fortunately, these earlier albums were full of heart wrenching ballads unspoiled by large string orchestras and, as such, remain a unique and wonderful piece of country music history!
So, another 3 great albums on a 2 CD set, which are well worth the money if you like your country hard hitting and heart moving! Buy them, you won't be disappointed if you are a real country music lover!
P.S. I have read criticism that the instrumental track "Ramblin'" is pointless and don't belong! My answer is, if you were a guitarist and wrote your own guitar instrumental, wouldn't YOU want is released on one of your CD's?
on 24 December 2013
im a huge don williams fan and have been trying to get hold of the album country boy for ages so was more thn pleased to find this cd with three of his mid seventies albums in one collection. the cd is nicely packaged with orignal covers and is digitaly remastered. a must have for any don fan u really wont be disapointed.
on 11 December 2014
I adore Don Williams songs but youre my best friend is my absolute favourite. I had a tape with this song on it but it got damaged or perhaps I just wore it out by constantly playing it. Thanks for providing the cd.
I had all of Don's original albums from the seventies on vinyl, together with most of his eighties albums. I am surprised that it has taken so long for these albums to appear on CD and look forward to the release of his early eighties albums.

Having started well as a member of the Pozo Seco Singers (I have some of their music too), Don maintained a consistently high standard throughout the seventies and eighties as a solo singer. Although I loved them all, there were four that I particularly liked above the others of which one is featured here, that being the first, You're my best friend.

The two singles released to American country radio from You're my best friend were the title track and (Turn out the light and) love me tonight, both becoming #1 hits. The title track also becoming a belated UK pop hit as a follow-up to I recall a gypsy woman, an older track not featured here that came close to being a UK top 10 pop hit for Don in 1976, peaking at 13.

While repeat plays suggest that the two tracks selected as singles are the best songs here, the rest are not far behind. I particularly like Help yourselves to each other (later covered by Crystal Gayle, whose version is also superb), Tempted and You're the only one.

The second album here is Harmony, which also yielded two #1 country hits (Till the rivers all run dry, Say it again), but this time a third single was released, She never knew me, which made #2. Of the other tracks , I particularly like Where the Arkansas river leaves Oklahoma (which is longer than the other tracks but very nice) and Don't you think it's time. I don't really see the point in the instrumental track (Ramblin'), but there are still ten excellent vocal tracks here as on the other albums.

The next album chronologically was Visions, so one might have expected it to be included here, but it can be found in the follow-up compilation Visions / Expressions / Portrait.

The final album here is Country boy, which might just be my favorite among Don's albums that didn't make my top four. Three singles were released, yielding a #1 country hit (I'm just a country boy) and two top ten country hits (I've got a winner in you, Rake and rambling man), Good as these songs are, I always thought that the best song here was Louisiana Saturday night. Four years later, Mel McDaniel had a top ten hit with his cover of the song.

Anybody who likes the music of Don Williams and who is interested in more than just the hits will surely enjoy this, even if the booklet notes are a bit rambling.
on 4 March 2014
I/ve always enjoyed the album Country Boy, but had passed on my cassette to a friend many years ago.
So to find You're My Best Friend, Harmony and Country Boy in one package is very good news, especially as the first 2 albums are on CD1 and Country Boy alone is on CD 2.
Don sings in a personal, almost confidential manner, but I don't mind listening in!
The Digital Re-Mastering has got to be one of the best ever, so if you like Don's mid 1970s output this is unbeatable.
Thanks Don and BGO Records.
on 7 March 2014
My Wife had all these albums for years, now that we prefer CD'S I bought this and all the others I could find to replace them, we are very pleased with them, good price and we can use them in the car, Don Williams is a beautiful country singer, never get tired of listening to him, I like the idea of putting so many albums on one disc it works out much cheaper, would recommend.
on 29 March 2014
This is a lovely selection of some of Don Williams most popular, and some less well known music. One or two Id not heard before, but must say , he never disappoints! Well worth buying.
on 28 April 2014
Good variation of his songs,beautifully sung, as always !! Perfect for country and western people, who like to hear clear words !!!!
on 26 February 2014
Easy and cheap way to get into Don Williams back catalogs , quality of the recordings to be as expected for the time and in general a very nice listen . Relaxing good songs and is highly recommended.