Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

VINE VOICEon 11 December 2016
Crises, for me, was the last truly stunning lp from Mike for a long, long time. This was released on the 10th anniversary of the release of Tubular Bells. Each lp up to but NOT including Discovery is 5 stars in my book.
However, the sound on this lp is closer to Jeam-Michel Jarre (ok, that is really over simplifying thing). The track Crises takes up side 1. It is electronic for the most part. Perhaps the lyrics are too repetitive and could have been cut down by a minute. Side 2 has the hit, Moonlight Shadow as the opening number. However, the highlight on side 2 for me is one of JON ANDERSON' s greatest vocal moments (omg, how I love him in Yes, ABWH and with Vangelis). Foreign Affair is a pleasant, if disposable pop tune. Taurus 3 has no resemblance to part 1 or 2 (QE2 and Five Miles Out respectedly). Shadow On The Wall features Roer Chapman, vocalist in Family) which is quite a rocky number for Mike.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 8 March 2017
This is the album that got me into Mike Oldfield and it has some really stand out tracks. Now I am a bit older and wiser I would actually say it is not quite typical of his style as quite a few of his other albums tend to follow a theme and a story which often builds during the tracks. This album is more of a simple and easy listen, as the tracks are more "stand alone" which in itself is both a good thing for introducing his various styles whilst also being a bad thing in that it might not give you the continuity that you would expect if you have several of his other albums. That said this is a great re-mastering with some really special additions which makes it well worth the purchase and listen. If you listen to some of his later work you can really spot excerpts of "Crisis" as their origins.
on 2 May 2017
always like Mike Oldfield
on 9 August 2017
great
on 16 August 2017
CD fine. CD box broken in bits.
on 24 February 2008
The last movement of Track 1, lasting about 8 mins, is an onslaught of a piece of music. When I first heard it, back in 1985, I was blown away. And today, in 2008, I still haven't heard anything that comes up to par. Intricate Oldfield layers wave upon wave in an electronic soundscape, combining his unique guitar shrill, that is breathtaking in its conception, structure and execution - and all driven along by the mesmerising force of Simon Phillips on drums. I don't know how many times I've heard it, yet it simply doesn't date. Indeed, this piece will always live in the future. The man truly is a genius. Yes, he's had a few duffs, but then all people of genius will. Then, when you least expect it, they come up with a gem that blows your socks off.

And in case you think the word 'genius' gets banded around too easily, go check The Songs of Distant Earth. For all his issues, the man is blessed. Thanks, Mike - for coming up with music to dream to.
on 30 July 2017
Here's one I remember fondly, I must have been around 17 or 18 years-old at the time, and as I was helping my mum unpack her shopping bags, I came across Mike Oldfield's 'Crises', a CD she'd bought as it was only a couple of quid and she'd loved it since her days of owning it on vinyl. I'd encountered Oldfield's music many times throughout my childhood due to both of my parents being fans, but it was upon hearing this album that this fledgling young progressive rock fan really started to properly appreciate his music.

The next day I went to the same shop and bought my own copy of the album.

Featuring a bit of a mixed bag of styles and influences, 'Crises' is based around its 21-minute title track, a song with plenty of rocking riffs and some interesting keyboard melodies. There are times when the song does tend to lag, but the first half of it is genuinely exciting stuff, full of energetic performances and some thrilling guitar work.

After this, there are five shorter tracks, and this is where the album truly shines. For starters, there's acoustic rockers such as 'Shadow on the Wall' and 'Moonlight Shadow', which would go on to be a huge hit for Oldfield, showing that there was definitely still potential for mainstream success after Tubular Bells. 'In High Places' (featuring Jon Anderson of Yes) and 'Foreign Affair' are both more slower tempo, synth-based pop songs, but do well to highlight just how versatile Mike Oldfield can be with his music.

'Crises' is a fairly underrated album in Mike Oldfield's discography, though perhaps my opinion is swayed by the fact that it's essentially the album that made me a fan. Either way, while I doubt there's many people who'd consider this one of his best, it's still a solid release, and well worth looking into if you're into progressive rock or 80's pop.
on 19 December 2012
Ah: dark evenings doing maths homework, computer games, Dungeons & Dragons...they're all brought vividly back to life now that I finally got hold of a CD copy of this album.

Looking back over 30 years, I can see why the teen me thought this was Oldfield's best album. Besides Moonlight Shadow - which I still can't get enough of - and Shadow on the Wall, the first side is genuinely one of the best things he has done. Gone now are the bagpipes, bongos etc - much as I enjoy them. We're stripped back to the instruments Oldfield can really play: keyboard and, especially, guitar. Simon Philips' drums lend the punch that was lacking from the 'rock out' sections of earlier albums. The whole thing is taut and focused - unlike some of his pieces it knows where it is going - and comes to a successful climax courtesy of those drums.

So I'm giving this five stars for old time's sake - in spite of the three filler tracks on side 2 (as was). They feel like the work of a bored rich man who frankly doesn't know what to do with his time, in or out of the studio. Anyone like to come for a helicopter ride?

And given that there isn't enough inspiration to go round, I probably shouldn't complain that at 35 minutes-ish the album is a couple of numbers light. But it is.
on 8 September 2013
You may be a returning Oldfield fan or altogether new to Crises, so is the remaster worthy of the spend out and what of the musical content?

First to the remastering; we definitely have more volume this time round and so the music jumps from the speakers. To be fair though, my hi-fi does have a volume control and the boosted sound comes with a compromise. Yes you may catch a few more details but they were there already if you listened carefully enough. I think this a more cluttered mix. Everything is loud so there is no dynamic to the sound. Previous releases had space and subtlety, a major strength of Oldfield's. Crises seems to have become a victim of the so called loudness war.

Some may prefer the remastering so what about the music? Well of course it's great. There are nods to Tubular Bells, but they're not too obvious. This is perhaps Oldfield's most synthy work from this era but as always the melodies come first, if nothing else Oldfield is a master of the catchy tune. Since Ommadawn we'd always been treated to some very interesting percussion work with every release and with Simon Phillips on board we get an onslaught of power drumming and it's great.

The extras don't really cut the mustard for me this time and again we've been denied a classic b-side with the exclusion of Rite of Man. We're given the 12" versions of Moonlight Shadow and Shadow on the Wall of which the Oldfield faithful will already have. The unplugged mixes of these songs are little more than interesting though it's great to hear the banjo on the latter track really brought to the forefront. The redeeming feature of the whole release however, is the tremendous live disc. Instrumental tracks Taurus I and II and Crises are rocky, playful and inventive, they are worth the money alone. The songs don't fare so well in my opinion but it's great to hear an improvisational edge to Oldfield's soloing and of course Roger Chapman joins in on Family Man, well he had to didn't he!?

I must add a footnote about a much more recent album I know some of the Oldfield faithful are discovering. It's called Mohribold and was recorded by Andrew Taylor (google it!). If you like Crises or any of Mike's early albums you will love Mohribold and with such little new music coming from the old maestro we all need a fix of something to fill the hole where a new Oldfield album should go!
33 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 July 2012
Whenever I hear Mike Oldfield's Crises, parts of it always get me in the pit of the stomach, for it says so much that one can't put into words.

However, and I am sure plenty of others would agree, there are one or two little passages - each only lasting a few seconds - that could do with some revision; therefore a remastered version would not go amiss.

In fact, the reason I purchased was dissatisfaction with the YouTube version, and I thought the downloaded file would be better. Turns out not to be the case.