TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 8 November 2012
I keep getting told by FB followers that I MUST read Anna Smith and that her books are brilliant. Sadly, my to read list is stupidly long which means authors whose books I have on my Kindle, can sometimes sit there `undiscovered' for months! Anna Smith is one such author. What an idiot I felt once I'd finished this book, her debut novel. As soon as I was finished, I immediately downloaded her second book, and have her third release firmly in the calendar (31st Jan 2013 for anybody interested!).

The synopsis sounded great before I had even started the book, but once I got going I was in for a treat. It's Glasgow in the 1990s and when the body of a young girl washes up on a beach, people don't pay much attention. It's just another dead junkie, except the media gets hold of the fact that the victim Tracey Eadie was just 14 years old and was meant to be in the safety of a children's home. The first few chapters had me hooked and from then on, things got put on the back burner (such as dinner!).

The main character in this book is the journalist Rosie Gilmour. Rosie is certainly not whiter than white, but comes across as a little bit vulnerable too. One of the things that struck me about this book is the language, and I don't mean swearing. My husband family are from Glasgow so I am very well adjusted to the way they talk and their accent. Anna Smith manages to get across the accent and the way in which the Glaswegians talk, which translates on paper (if that makes sense?!?). In my opinion it gives the writing a real edge and you get a real feel for the way they speak which I really loved.

The plot was what really kept me gripped, and the shocking part about it, is that it is 100% believable. It was gritty and particularly dark in places, covering subjects that won't be everybody's cup of tea but done with sheer brilliance. I am now obsessed with finding out what Rosie does in the future (yippee for book 2) and thought that she was such a solid character. All in this entire book had me totally and utterly enthralled from start to finish. It's already been recommended to all my friends and family, and now I'm recommending it to you lot too.

Don't put it off a moment longer and grab yourself as copy, you'll love it!
29 people found this helpful
on 16 November 2013
I liked the fact that this was a crime novel where the heroine was not a detective but a reporter. It was also an interesting style where you knew what had happened and who was responsible right from the beginning. I wasn't' totally convinced that Rosie would have stumbled across two such huge stories at the same time. Generally, however, I was impressed and enjoyed it. I noted that it is compared to Martine Cole which concerned me as I always felt Cole was terribly overrated, although admittedly very successful,and I certainly enjoyed this more
10 people found this helpful
on 6 December 2015
Anna Smith uses her role as a journalist as the backdrop of her new series featuring Rosie Gilmour. The Dead Won't Sleep pulls no punches as it tackles police corruption and a paedophile ring - Rosie uncovers some of the most high profile characters in police and the judiciary - but will her editor let the stories go to press and what personal risks is Rosie taking as she stops at nothing to get her story.
Rosie is a strong character with a tragic background story which is the driving force behind her obsession with her job. At times I found her a little bit frustrating though especially in her approach to the child abuse story - I'm not sure that anyone could have ignored serious protocols in relation to the interviewing of child witnesses - even in order to uncover what was going on as this could have jeopardized the whole investigation. Despite this I thought it was a strong start to the series and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the books
on 16 July 2015
When a young girl is found washed up at sea it starts to become apparent that there is a lot more about this girls death than the police are keen to admit.
Rosie Gilmour is good at her job, a journalist for a newspaper in she knows how to get a her story.
Mag's is a friend of the dead girl, she comes to Rosie with some information, little does Rosie know what type a story she is going to break and the danger she is now under.
Whilst her investigation may still need more evidence to bring it to the front page, she then stumbles on something else far worse.
As she continues to delve further into these crimes she won't give up until the truth is revealed.
There are so many characters I want to talk about.
Rosie underneath that professional exterior is a vulnerable young women struggling to have commit to a relationship.
When TJ comes back into her life again will she give everything up to start a new life in New York with him or will circumstances change the course of her life forever..
Excellent gritty story....
My Thoughts....
My first book from Anna Smith and I thoroughly enjoyed this fast paced exciting story.
on 16 January 2014
THE DEAD WON'T SLEEP is a great story that follows the tale of police corruption and a journalist who wishes to expose them. Starting with the death of an under age prostitute dying in the company of three top level police officers in Glasgow, the story takes you through the disposal of her body and then the aftermath. The writing is superb and the story is fast paced and very easy to get wrapped up in. I hated having to put it down when it was time to sleep! Very well constructed and loved the path it took us down, with a side plot of corruption in higher areas of government as well. I enjoyed the book immensely, but my only issue was the ending. I felt that it could have been more fleshed out and almost as if it had ended too soon. However, that did not take away from how good the book is and so I have given it four stars and would recommend the book to people who enjoy the genre!
4 people found this helpful
on 17 October 2017
This is Anna Smiths debut novel and what a way to start, not only is it an introduction to the complex lead character Rosie Gilmour, that I've now followed throughout Anna Smiths series but the story setting in and around Glasgow was so vividly described that I felt as though i was walking the streets along with her. This author has a way of keeping you gripped all the way through and the storylines which at times can have quite a dark subject matter but are always believable.

When the body of a 14 year old prostitute washes up on a beach not far from Glasgow, newspaper journalist Rosie Gilmour soon uncovers links to police officials and a web of deceit and abuse of power at the highest levels but will Rosie be able to write this article and unmask these powerful people or will they stop her permanently. There's only one way to find out, read this excellent debut novel.
on 22 January 2014
This book had been lying dormant in my Kindle collection, waiting to be read (like so many others ordered at one go last year) and to finally read it was like discovering the proverbial pot of gold at the end of a rainbow!

Anna Smith is new to me and I am blown away by her storytelling ability. She grabs your attention and pulls you in on page one, never letting you go until the last page. The story never flagged, was absolutely absorbing, totally believable and introduced us to the wonderful Rosie Gilmour. I loved her and even felt I WAS her as I became more and more absorbed into her investigations and her life. It was almost painful to have to put it down from time to time and wished I had the opportunity, like some reviewers, to read a book all in one go!

Anna Smith is a consummate wordsmith and her heroine Rosie tackles the revelation of police malpractice and abuse of power with dedicated professionalism and fearlessness. Good on her!

This is a wonderful book and I would highly recommend it. Personally, I have just ordered another of the series,
on 27 April 2014
All in all a good read with a sub plot woven in for good measure, which then linked nicely to the main story.

You'd like to think that this book is completely far fetched and that people who are supposedly trusted and are in high positions within society wouldn't be involved in events such as the ones written about here, but unfortunately in real life, we see and hear of stories every single day of corruption and misuse of power. Don't get me wrong, there are still a few bits where I thought "hmmm'" but overall the story came along as believeable, as did the characters.

I was slightly disappointed by the ending, I wanted it to be happier than it was but that's just a personal opinion, and I see there are other books with Rosie as the main character so maybe I'll get that ending in one of the other novels :-)
on 14 November 2013
I rarely write reviews - I have to say I'm one of the naughty ones that relies on everyone else providing the advice as to whether or not I would enjoy something! However..., I could not read this and Not leave a rave review. I came across this author more by chance and at 56p for a kindle book you surely can't go too far wrong....? I love the author Lin Anderson, who also writes 'gritty' books set in and around Glasgow and I think she is amazing. Well, I have to say, Anna Smith is a talent so amazing that I can't begin to tell you just how brilliant I find her writing. This is a debut novel I understand and it has prompted me to by the next two books starring Journalist Rosie Gilmour. I have indeed started the second book this morning! I hated the ending of The Dead Won't Sleep, but please don't get me wrong, its not because it was weak - far from it. Selfishly, I did not want Rosie to have that outcome and I won't give anything away, but Please Miss Smith, Please don't let that me the last of that episode for Rosie.... Please....!? Read this book, it is simply brilliant. Probably the first book I have read that has literally made me hold my breath (hadn't realised I was until I suddenly started breathing again at the end of that particular trauma...!). If I could score this higher I would... A true masterpiece and I just hope (and believe I will not be disappointed) that her next two books lined up for me to read live up to this work of genius.
on 14 February 2018
No need to read this series in order. I started several books down the line, grew to like the main characters, and have now read 5 Anna Smith novels. Gritty, and fast paced with a degree of journalistic of realism, and some poetic license too! Will certainly read all published books, and await new ones.