Format: DVD|Change

on 13 March 2014
Hmm, what shall I write about this one? First I loved the music, although it has nothing to do with the period, no matter. I started to watch the first episode and thought "this is grim" dark and threatening, it felt like a nightmare, black and grim and abject poverty. I found myself having to watch, so I saw the whole thing in two evenings. It is very well done, and you should see the extras at the end.Some of the violence is nasty, and there apparently was a gang called peaky blinders - you will have to see the film to understand the term. As the film progresses there is a gradual increase in light and colour, which is both a relief and relevant. The haircuts are something else, and the costumes are very good. All is relevant. All in all an excellant film.
on 1 November 2014
Great TV from the BBC. A much needed different take on the usual crime/drama series on terrestrial TV. I love the music & the characters, sure there are a few cliches in here, but it's great entertainment. Bought this for a pal who missed it, but secretly I'm looking forward to borrowing this from him & watching it again when the 2nd series finishes!!
on 1 March 2015
At first I wasn't sure I was going to like it but I became completely addicted to this series. Fantastic characters and acting and great story line. Best thing I have seen since for ages. Only problem is my husband and I now can't stop talking in Birmingham accents!
on 23 October 2014
PEAKY BLINDERS is the best TV show I've ever seen. A stellar cast leaded by Cillian Murphy (Thomas Shelby) pulls the story off every second! The performance is outstanding, stories, set, cinematography and music on a extraordinary level.
This show rocks!

Do yourself a favour:

Start watching now!

Beware: PEAKY BLINDERS is highly addictive!!!
on 31 October 2013
Bought as a Christmas present for a relative...the drongo had managed to miss the series when it was shown on the telly! So, we foolishly requested what everyone would like for Christmas (never do this...it's a nightmare!), and our relative came up with this. I loved the series when it was shown on telly, and I am now really jealous my relative will have a copy and I am left bereft. Perhaps we will visit post-Christmas...and I may just get a chance to nick it!
on 8 December 2013
I watched all 6 hours over a two day period. You won't be disappointed. This show is gripping and thoroughly atmospheric. It evokes so many thoughts and images, immediately after the opening credits due to its magical beginning. I can't wait for the second series. The acting is phenomenal. The soundtrack is exceptional. This is a wonderful gift, for the drama lover. Cillian Murphy, Annabelle Wallis and Sam Neill keep you in suspense during the whole season. The script is magnificent, the dialogue intelligent and the set is powerfully dramatic and vastly artistic. The plot is thrilling, transporting you to 1920's Birmingham in a matter of minutes. The cast of characters are powerful and diverse, giving you more and more with each episode. This show surpassed all my expectations! I will be watching it again and again!
on 9 April 2014
An insight into the past and how difficult it must have been to survive in those times. The family network was important and sometimes the solutions were brutal. However in this story there are many twists and turns. What happens when people fall in love even if it is with the enemy?
I await the second series and hope it as good.
On of the most beautiful tv shows I have seen in a long time, Cillian Murphy is absolutely phenomenal as always and plays the most amazing character ever!! It has the same director as Sherlock and Ripper Street and possesses exactly the same style, unusual camera angles, slow motion action shots and beautiful lighting! I am so excited for season two it is unreal and I recommend it completely!!!!
on 14 October 2014
This is a superb series, Cillian Murphy is up there with the best. The strange juxtaposition of 1919 "gangsterism" and the indie music really works; and Sam Neill is magnificent as the Belfast police officer sent to sort them out.
1919, Birmingham - those returning from war even harder than before. Tommy Shelby determines to make Peaky Blinders all the more a force to be reckoned with. At once problems mount. A robbery goes wrong - haul not the expected alcohol, but a major hoard of weapons. Seeking them now are Communists and the IRA - not to mention ruthless Chief Inspector Campbell, he with top Government backing to remove all scum from the streets. (Churchill urges him not to leave bodies floating, but to bury them deep.) What hope for Tommy now?

Six hour long episodes are crammed with excitement. Quality reigns in every department: superb scripts, excellent acting, distinctive music, the whole look of the thing. A major aim (revealed in the one bonus) has been not simply to recreate the past, but to add aspects of a western and touches of prohibition America. From that stunning opening, the show thus has a style of its own. Of course there is violence, but much of it is stylized, razors in cap peaks warding off enemies.

As charismatic Tommy, Cillian Murphy is superb, he an actor who believes less is more - much conveyed with a look. Sam Neill makes an aggressive Campbell. Helen McCrory impresses as the formidable Shelby matriarch. Annabelle Wallis charms as new barmaid Grace, able to calm the most rowdy whenever she sings. There is, though, much more to her than that. Is she what she seems?

From start to showdown climax, here is a stunner full of uneasy alliances, innumerable undercurrents, subtle revelations, none of the characters one-dimensional. There is humour too, not much admittedly - some also in the bonus when Shelby male cast discover the haircuts needed.

Spellbinding television - a triumph for all concerned.