Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now

VINE VOICEon 1 November 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have been wanting one of these lights for ages , and thought I would really like it so was surprised when it failed to live up to my expectations.
Firstly it has to many controls and not enough instructions . It does seem a reasonable size , I thought it would be a bit flimsy but it has stayed sturdy & never been knocked over .
After you finally decrypt the settings you can choose to have it play with a radio or sounds . I choose the sounds . It acts as a permanent clock and the light starts to shone about half an hour before you are due to wake . You can adjust the brightness of this . This all works fine enough but I have found what as really put me off is the very bright led lights on the click , they light up the room at night and disturb my sleep ! I have found due to this I have more broken disturbed sleeps and the soothing effect of the gradual sunlight appearing , is meant with my grains as I'm exhausted.
I personally would prefer a version with a dimmer clock light or just the light itself.
VINE VOICEon 26 November 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I really enjoy this wake up light, and find that I wake up more refreshed using it. The light gradually comes on to the level you have set it (a brightness between 1 and 10) starting half an hour before the alarm, and you have the option of either nature sounds or the radio at the alarm time. I choose bird song and was doubtful of it waking me, but I found it did (even if it did make me a little confused the first day). It also has a snooze function, but since I've found myself more awake when the alarm goes I've hardly used it.

You do have to set the alarm time by just using the + and - buttons to scroll through the time minute by minute, but after setting it a couple times I found it was still pretty quick and easy to do so. You can also use the light independently of the alarm, and at full brightness it lights up the whole room, or can be used for a more ambient light at lower levels.
VINE VOICEon 10 November 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've always struggled with getting up in the mornings in winter when its dark, but have been put off buying one of these wake-up lights because earlier models were really expensive and the special bulbs needed replacing ever so often. I think Philips has hit the nail on the head with this model.

Pros:
Surprisingly small and light and doesn't crowd your bedside table.
Digital display is dimmable so not too bright
The wake up light is surprisingly bright (adjustable to your preference) and can be used as a reading light
The light gradually comes on over 30 min and then also has 2 optional natural sounds (birds tweeting etc) or FM radio for when the alarm goes off.

Cons:
No DAB radio. That's it!

So as long as you don't want a DAB radio, this is perfect. Its an excellent winter waking experience and I now feel much more refreshed when waking up. Get one!
VINE VOICEon 24 October 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My son sleeps through thunder storms, banging doors, phones ringing and Motorhead at 110db. The house reverberates to the sound of his thunderous alarm every morning ... for hours... because he sleeps through it.

Trying this was really a last hope. And amazing... the first morning he woke up... to the gentle sounds of little tweeting birds! I was walking round the house wondering why the birds were singing and was amazed when he said the light and the birdsong actually did wake him.

The Light has an inbuilt FM radio which I think isn't really necessary - but overall a great product and well worth it for a gentle start to the day.

It was easy to set up (for a 20 year old techie)..
VINE VOICEon 14 November 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Since I have been using this product I have been finding it much easier to get out of bed. Because you are gradually and gently woken up, you never feel like turning the alarm off. And because you are properly awake by the time the birdsong starts, you might as well get out of bed! Also, been woken with birdsong is a lovely start to the day, and puts you in a much better frame of mind than when you're aggressively woken with a horrible beeping noise.
If you suffer with SAD as I do, I recommend this clock to counteract the symptoms of disturbed sleep patterns. However, I also supplement with a SAD light during the day time. This combination seem to work well. Do not worry about this wake-up light being too bright, as there are many light levels to choose from.
I have personally found this product very valuable.
VINE VOICEon 1 November 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm a big fan of the Philips Wake Up Light range, and I've already got the cheaper Philips Wake-Up Light HF3500/01 with Sunrise Simulation, which gently wakens me every morning. So I was glad to try out the fancier model. For an extra £40 you're getting an FM radio and two natural sounds on top of the standard sunrise simulation.

Everything works fine, although I would rather stick to the alarm, ahead of birds singing in my ear. I get that from the back green. Again, the radio worked OK, but I've got a DAB radio on the bedside table, so it's not going to replace that.

It's a really good idea, well presented, but if I was picking one I'd stick to the more basic model which will save you a wedge, and do anything you need it to do. However, if money is no object, then give this a go.
VINE VOICEon 10 December 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The most miserable thing about this time of year is waking up when it's still dark, getting dressed and trudging out into the gloom. This nifty gizmo makes at least part of that less awful by mimicking the effects of sunrise so your circadian rhythm adapts by thinking it's not dark when you wake up. Every little helps, I tell you.

I'm usually woken by the light before the alarm, which is handy as the alarm is pretty grating so I just use that to tell me when it's time to get up, not to wake. I can't cay for certain that it's had a definite effect on my mood or anything, but it's certainly a lot nicer than the Today programme flicking on at 6.45 and jolting me awake with something like Ed Balls ruining my morning, For that alone, I'd give it four stars.
on 17 November 2013
I researched different makes of the Wake-Up lights, prior to purchasing the Philips model and to be honest I was rather sceptical. However, to my surprise I found this light to be fantastic! It did take a bit of getting used to and I kept my old alarm clock plugged in for a couple of days as a back up, which really wasn't necessary because the light works as described on the box. The Philips Wake-Up light is easy to set up, easy to use and I now wake up at 6am to a pleasant sunrise(setting 07)and the dawn chorus is very calming. My mood has improved and I find that my eyes adjust easier to the spotlights lights in my bathroom.
I would recommend the light to everyone! It's a shame it's not a little cheaper...although it is on offer at the moment...go for it, you won't be disappointed!!
on 10 October 2014
excellent device - wakes me up gently and does make it easier to get up, i think. I bought this on special offer at approx £50, though, and think even that is pushing it, value-wise. The clock is very lightweight, so moves around when you press the buttons, and surely in this day and age a digital radio should be possible at that price - poor FM reception. Also, would be happier with a clock that will reset itself in the event of a power cut.
on 28 October 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a pleasant wake-up clock that wakes you up with light (and sound, should you opt) instead of a beeping alarm. You can also wake to two birdsong styles (similar) or FM radio. The previous models had more sounds so I don't know Philips's thinking behind restricting the newer model to only two. I liked the drums and wind-chimes, for example. You can also wake to radio though, sadly, not DAB - should have been at this price. It is easy to program - barely need to consult the manual - very intuitive. But I don't like the design. It looks odd and clunky.