Customer reviews

Lifes A Riot With Spy Vs. Spy
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 January 2016
Honest and I liked the guitar sound. His best album possibly.
on 6 December 2013
Great to revisit an old friend. Those were the days. Billy Bragg refreshed and back. I'm very, very pleased with this album.
on 3 December 2014
I remember buying this album when it was first released on vinyl and it still sounds as good now as it did then
on 25 July 2014
Brilliant.Bought for my husband who is a big Billy Bragg fan.
on 24 October 2013
This is a digital and live remastering of the original album come EP as used to be
' Life's a riot with spy v spy '

To this day I still don't know what the title refers to as none of the lyrics seem to have a connection. But anyway,

its a brilliant album and the Digital remaster is clear and punchy just as you would expect. What I didn't exactly expect was the quality of the Live set which
being 30 years after the original was just as powerful just as sharp and just as edgy as before.

The first time I brought the cd back in the 90s. I played it to death. If it were a record I would have ruined it just by the number of plays.

The packaging is of course of the Billy Bragg ethos, a simple cardboard slipcase
no nonsence this is it attitude to packaging. Which is refreshing as is this new version of a classic.
55 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 September 2014
If you are a big fan, you will think I have underscored this collection. But as someone exploring, I found it less satisfactory than I had hoped. Maybe it will grow on me - He is certainly an important artist of great skill.
on 12 May 2014
Loved it on LP love it on Cd. Always have loved Billy Bragg. What will he do next I wonder?
on 22 April 2016
CD was deliverd promtly , and a very good buy.
on 30 October 2013
Is it really 30 years? I've always thought this came out in 1984 ..... I remember trundling back to my grotty bedsit in Hastings with this album (EP? Whatever!) clutched in my hand and listening to its 16 minutes over and over again! I'd heard Billy Bragg on radio 1 in the evenings - Peel, of course! - and loved the stripped down sound he produced. There's something about the spartan nature of just the voice and guitar, it allows the songs to really stand out.

It seems pointless trying to pick out one or two songs and say, "These are the best", because for me its short running time has meant that it's become almost like one piece of music, but I'll highlight "A New England" as it's probably the best known of the tracks (more for the Kirsty McColl cover than for Billy's original) and "Man In The Iron Mask", simply because I can't believe it wasn't a big hit for somebody (I seem to remember Paul Young recorded it and stuck it on the b-side of a single).

For me, this is THE sound of Billy Bragg. I like the music he produced latterly but the sound of just him and the guitar (and the occasional trumpet!!) on his first few recordings will always BE Billy Bragg for me!

A great little collection, now sounding better than ever! The added bonus of the recently recorded live versions are interesting but not as essential as the original recordings .... I think I might have been more impressed if he'd kept to the original running order, but it does demonstrate that the the ol' bloke's still got it!
on 16 May 2017
It did not have the track I wanted on it.