on 8 February 2016
Loved this book. Harrowing at times, this story needed to be told. I'm proud that my grandfather was one of the many that fought to liberate these camps and we should never forget the horrors within them.
May they all rest in peace.
on 26 March 2015
This book was really educating,to read about what this man and his family went through was awful, and all the people that didn't survive the awful torture was a way of life, it's hard to believe that things like that happened. I hoped and hoped he would find some members of his family, I suppose he really did in the end.
on 6 March 2014
I have read lots of books about the holocaust but none has moved me to tears the way this one has. A truly heartbreaking, powerful and informative read. I couldn't put the book down. I am very fussy with books and will only rate high if it is deserved, this book is a must read for people interested in learning about the true extent of the holocaust and the impact it had on the people involved.
on 4 August 2016
A pretty gripping read on a powerful subject, but for me, I felt that I'd read the same story in several other books (is that a bad thing?).

Try Elie Wiesel's 'Night' for a true account of the horrors of the Holocaust, or Eva's Story: A Survivor's Tale by the Step-Sister of Anne Frank by Eva Schloss, who I once met and is an amazing woman.

Still, not a bad read on a horrific chapter of history.
on 29 September 2014
This book was recently entered in The Wishing Shelf Book Awards. This is what our readers thought:

FEEDBACK

Author: Dana Fitzwater Cornell
Title: My Mother's Ring

COVER: 8/10
Generally, the readers liked the cover. They thought the image of the fence was powerful although a few thought the lettering colour and font were a little `odd'. They also commented positively on the blurb; although long, it did entice the readers to open the book.

CONTENT 9/10
I cannot honestly say the readers `enjoyed' this story. They felt it was moving, often shocking and very informative, but nobody put that they enjoyed it. ne reader (woman, aged 45) put in her feedback, `This is a shocking tale describing a shocking time in Germany's history. The author did a fantastic job of showing how terrible the holocaust was. But, I must say, it's not the sort of story to read at bedtime. You'll never sleep.'
Another reader (man, aged 51) put in his feedback, `I have read a number of books which look at the Jewish holocaust and this, I thought was excellent. Disturbing, yes, shocking, yes, but, still, excellent. I though this book was particularly good as it did not always focus on the terrible things that happened back then. For example, the German guard who helps the boy and allows him to fix his boots; he even got him out of prison. Thank God, even during such a terrible time, there were still a few who possessed humanity.'

EDITING 7/10
The readers thought the book was well edited and discovered no glaring problems with grammar, punctuation or spelling. They felt that the story was well paced and the ending, although sad, was very well written. All of the readers enjoyed the last line.
A few of the readers thought the pace of the story was a little too fast, particularly when he discovered what happened to his mother. The same happened when he got the letter to Dorothy. I felt the end of the book was rushed. I followed the character all the way through his terrible ordeals but I don't think I really got to know him.'

STYLE 6/10
Most of the readers enjoyed the style of writing. They felt it was simple, easy to follow and, often, very factual almost like a history book. This style worked well for many of the readers. But a number of the readers felt the style was too cold and the author brushed over the feeling of the central character. They felt it was too `historical' and not enough `novel'.

TO SUM UP 30/40

STATS
Of the 15 readers:
13 thought the cover and blurb were excellent.
12 would like to read another book by this author.
9 felt the best part of the book was how informative it was.
2 felt the best part of the book was the `emotions' it pulled from the reader.
7 felt the ending felt a little rushed although they all loved the last few paragraphs.

`A moving, often shocking account of a boy trapped in the horrific world of Nazi Germany. Highly recommended.' The Wishing Shelf Awards
on 1 February 2015
After reading this book it is hard to put into words an account that gives it justice. I could not put it down apart from some points that just ripped at my heart at the unbelievable situations he suffered. Through all his emotional and physical pain he emerges an amazing individual with strength and dignity.
I have not felt so effected by a book since 'Birdsong' and yet that was a fictional account, compared to this heart rendering true story. If only the world could learn from this! Do not hesitate in reading this book...you just simply 'Must'!
on 4 March 2016
Those is not a book I can say I enjoyed, however I found it hard not to stop reading. The bravery of one person against such evil was unbelievable. I still cannot understand how a race of civilised people could have been brainwashed into doing such barbaric actions against other human beings.
on 22 February 2014
It is very hard to imagine what this and millions of families endured at the the hands of the Nazi regime!
This book is upsetting to read, but also a story of survival in the face of horrendous cruelty.
Written so this event in history is never forgotten and never to be repeated!
God bless all those who suffered and died and those who survived to tell their tragic story.
on 1 March 2014
One of the most excellent book I have read about the holocaust the experience s this man went through is unbelievable my heart go's out to him and other s like him very well written brilliant account of the day to day life in the camps
on 22 May 2014
This book is hard to read in places but also hard to put down, once you start you have to keep going and hoping that the writer and his loved ones somehow survive.

I have sons of a similar age to the main characters in the book, so found myself close to tears in places.

Please just read it