on 30 October 2014
I have given 2 stars as the final third of the novel was not too bad, however the first two thirds were poor. The author appears to be a dreadful snob. Her central character is woman who was apparently clever enough for university but gave it all up for a man whom anybody else would realise is entirely selfish & totally self-absorbed. Of course he leaves her but, with no money & no qualifications or work experience she obtains a number of well paid jobs & eventually finds herself through, guess what, the love of a rich man! The writing is lazy & the author has not bothered to research the law, police powers or prison sentences, &, I suspect, similarly failed to find out anything about gentlemen's clubs. As I say, the characters finally start to engage the interest towards the end but, by then, much of the story has become predictable & it is really too late to engage the reader. I shall be looking out for this author in the future simply to avoid her!
8 people found this helpful
on 8 October 2013
This is such a good book. The story is based on a simple riches to rags premise, but Serena's journey from total numbed shock to true independence is brilliantly described. All the characters are realistic and appropriately well-developed, dependent on the importance of their role. I like the fact that the story takes place over a 3-4 year period, so that how Serena's feelings change during that time is far more true to life; anyone who has suffered any sort of huge emotional trauma knows full well that you don't emerge from the initial shock etc in a convenient few months.
I would recommend this to anyone who would like to enjoy a well-constructed and very well written book, or to anyone who already thinks they know how to write!
15 people found this helpful
on 18 August 2015
This is one of the best books i've read this year. I totally loved it. Initially i thought it's quite long, well used to the fast pace of the romance books you read today and forget tomorrow, but then i got sucked into Serena's life, understood her choices and feelings. This wasn't a romance book, but a book about life, and you can't rush life. Even the fact that the story would jump a few months ahead, and then you'd get brought up to speed with events related to that point in the same story got a bit getting used to, but didn't distract from the story. I was sad to finish this book and as i was reading i could totally see it made into a movie - the series type as there is too much to cram into 90 min :)
Totally recommend this book!
on 6 March 2017
It took me a while to get into this book, I felt I wanted to slap Serena at times, but once I got into the book I couldn't put it down. It was interesting to read how she coped with the life she was forced to live through no fault of her own, having most of her so called friends turn their back on her and her struggle to support her two children at the same time while dealing with her own troubles.
on 28 October 2014
I'd forgotten I'd downloaded this, so when I came to read it, I'd forgotten the synopsis that made me choose it in the first place. I'd give it five stars but for one thing; I nearly gave up at the beginning because the introduction was far too lengthy, although perhaps the author's intention was to make us see how meaningless and pointless Serena's life, full of fake friends and people with too much money, actually was. Just as I was getting bored and about to give up, this express train of a story kicks in. I'm so glad I stayed for the ride because it ending up being a great read.
on 25 February 2015
This is the first book I've read by Frankie McGovern but it won't be the last! I loved it and really liked Serena and Ed.

My gripe is that the proofreading is dreadful, all kinds of spelling mistakes and rubbish punctuation. I know a lot of people don't care about stuff like this these days but I do and it irritates me.

I shall read more of hers anyway!
on 13 July 2015
Utterly boring - started reading this by pool side on holiday but I just couldn't get into it. Tried to force myself to read up to chapter 3 hoping it would pick up pace but to no avail. Serena & Stephen bored me to death - can't carry on. Luckily this was a very cheap buy. Not worth reading or recommending.
Was forced to rate its star!!
on 25 July 2014
I really wasn't expecting to enjoy this book quite as much as i did. i only purchased it as i was in need of a light read and i got it for 99p. I was very pleasantly surprised i absolutely loved it and couldn't put it down! Serena is a woman who has all that a rich women in her position could have and as the title of the book suggests she is a kept woman. She lives in a large 5 bedroom home in an upmarket area of London with her husband Stephen and their two chldren Louise and Harry, attending to anything her husband asks or indeed expects of her. That is until he disappears one night along with a few million pounds from the bank he worked for. Almost overnight the lives of Serena and her children change,the life they shared with Stephen is gone and along with that "friends" rapidly distance themselves from her. Serena moves to a decidedly down market part of town and has to learn to live and survive on her own with her children for the first time since she married. This is a tale of how the human spirit can rise above any crisis if needed and although this is fictional Frankie McGowan brought the characters alive, I could go on and on and on some more!! The only downside to this book is that it came to an end!
on 6 December 2013
A well written (except for the word 'dosed' being substituted every time for the word 'closed') entertaining story which kept my attention until the end. I was pleased that there was a proper end and not one that left you wondering about everything!
3 people found this helpful
on 13 October 2013
There must be a lot of woman who are like Serena the main character in this book but how many when they have lost everything could go so far down and have the strength of character to fight their way back up. A very good read.
4 people found this helpful