Customer reviews

on 30 April 2014
I read the Not Sure Boys, rated it as 5 stars, went to bed, woke up the next morning and wondered, "But was it really a 5 star read?"

And I think it is. My reasoning: first of all, I woke up the next morning and thought about it, so it had an impact - the characters are very different to what I was expecting (and think this will be true for most people). They're quirky, interesting, endearing. At times I really felt for them - happiness, embarrassment, frustration, joy...

Secondly, at no point during the reading process did I become aware of the fact that I was reading. I was completely immersed. Does it have weaknesses? A couple. Is it perfect? Nope. But I didn't even give them a second thought while I was reading, and that's what I want from a good story. In fact, I'd go so far as to assert that this is what makes something a good story.

I wanted more, but that's not a weakness of the writing - that's me being greedy. The three stories intersect well enough - I'd have maybe liked more connections woven through the three; that said, they are three separate stories. The links are subtle, like they are in real life.

So I'm sticking with 5 stars. I really enjoyed this little trio of tales. I think you will too. (Adding another author to my list of faves.)
on 20 October 2013
Keep your money in your pocket, I really wish I had not bothered with this book.
Its a bit of a miss mash of one story, not very interesting, I only struggled through it because it is so short a book.
"Not sure boys" can Hardly be called a collection.
These little essay type books are a pain on Kindle at the moment. all cover, promise and no content.
on 30 August 2013
If you are looking for a well written book on this topic then you have come to the right place.
Some great stories written by a great author who is well on his way to becoming a household name!

Some great writing here, definitely well worth the read!
on 2 April 2015
Rick Bettencourt is one of my favourite gay writers. He has really found his own voice and his prose just flows and is so easy and natural. This collection of gay shorts is no exception. There is never anything forced in his writing which makes his stories so believable; his characters are strongly drawn with a warmth and humanity lacking in many gay stories. In this story you will find something unique and interesting.

An enjoyable read with a few surprises and one character's viewpoint portrayed in a sensitive and interesting way.....a different and intriguing tale.