on 3 March 2014
I'd already dropped my month or so old 2013 Nexus 7 a few times. When I got the Asus tablet pc I thought, the front of that is not well made.

I was right, one drop from hand height when walking, less than a metre, to wooden flooring, and a crack and a bit of the plastic has broken off on the corner. The glass must be better quality - no nicks or scratches there.

Anyway, Bobj Gear's Rugged case has solved all of this, as well as the main problem in the first place. Which is that it's actually difficult to keep hold of the Asus 2013 Nexus, by its design. It just is. It's not very different looking to other 7 inch tablets, others are quite difficult also - but this Asus one seems just over the boundary into a substantial challenge at times.

Bobj is very well designed. For front of tablet listening, the speakers are no worse for being covered at the back, maybe very slightly better with Bobj Gear's idea of refocusing the sound around to the front. However, for turning the tablet over to listen to your music, or internet radio or whatever, the best of the sound has gone. It's not much, it's still OK. Loudness compromised a little bit though.

Overall, highly recommended. It's a really good design, very well made, fits perfectly, much better to grab onto. I've not dropped the tablet once in a month or so of using, and it probably wouldn't matter - this is a secure protector.

---

***Added. One thing. Other reviewers stress this is a rugged protector. Yes, that's a big thing. I don't know if there is a less rugged case on the market that would do every day protection just as good. Recently I was using my tablet without the Bob J Gear protector, and was surprised just how light and thin and different the Asus 2013 is. This is a 5 star rugged protector, but it adds a good bit of weight and bulk, not just for jacket pockets, but also for holding it.
on 29 June 2017
Really pleased with the quality of this. My tablet is now toddler safe!
on 15 September 2017
fits, works and is orange. What more can you want?
on 30 June 2014
Great value for money
on 23 March 2014
A bit bulky but protects the tablet very well - although the rim makes it a bit uncomfortable to press points close to the edge.

However, it seems to make 'phantom' keypresses at times - sometimes I'll press or type things and nothing happens for several seconds - and then a cascade of keypresses follow. This doesn't happen with the case removed, so I'm wondering if the edges are too close to the screen. If it wasn't for this phantom-press problem, I'd probably give it another star.
on 24 October 2014
I have cause to be very happy with this product. I use my Nexus with Viewranger for long walks in woodlands and across countryside. Shoved into pouches, and taken out again; sometimes slipped into a pocket; even slipping off the odd tree stump!

I also use the nexus in the car as a satnav. I had to find a holder which could take the thick case, but again the Bobj Rugged Case came into it's own when the holder slipped off its mount and dropped to the floor.

In all the above, the Nexus survived unscathed. I am very happy with this cover case, and can happily recommend it.
on 21 January 2014
It's nice and thick for child proofing.
My only complaint is that the opening for the microphone is a "snorkel" through the thick plastic rim.
Folks on skype couldn't really hear me and reported that it sounded pretty much like you would expect.
I cut the whole out so that the microphone is more exposed and it works fine.
on 10 January 2014
Just the job for a young rough lad, not managed to break the NEXUS yet, even though he has dropped it a couple of times.
on 17 October 2013
Just received this today.

Overall impressions are very good. Adds quite a bit to the overall dimension of the Nexus 7 2013 but improves the handling.

Makes the Nexus much easier to hold and removes the fragility of the tablet.

Good value for money
on 7 September 2014
Exactly what I had been expecting. It is a solid, good-quality rubber case that stays firmly in place. Of course it made my Nexus 7 look 3-4 times thicker, but that's the point: I give it to my daughter all the time without worrying that she might break it. As a bonus, it offers a better grip. When holding it in portrait, it is a little hard to tap on the left/right edges of the screen, but not annoying. The sound is not hindered at all, nor are the various peripherals (camera, jack, mic). Haven't tested the wireless charging though.
Attention: as others have commented, this is a case for the Nexus 7 2013 (2nd gen) ONLY.