Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 October 2013
This album is fantastic, thank you Motorhead for delivering this great rolicking album! It starts off brilliantly with 'Heartbreaker' an uptempo piece that features great riffing from Phil, a nice solo, good drumming from mikkey and the standard gruff vocals from Lemmy!

All of the songs are great! No filler here! 'Going to mexico' is a great rocking tune that serves up images of an outlaw going to Mexico to escape the police, or perhaps to evade the woman in 'Queen of the damned', to live a life of drinking in bars and living in brothels... only to get the whorehouse blues! (perhaps I have an overactive imagination). 'Do you believe' is a superb rock n roll anthem ("rock n roll do you believe"!? growls lemmy) that contains a sublime riff from Phil and some great solos. The track 'Silence when you speak to me' contains an almighty riff (sounds almost like an AIC/Jerry Cantrell type riff) and sees Lemy at his most cynical where he declares "we are all liars" maybe aimed at the government or beurocracy in general. And 'Keep your powder dry' is another nice anthem that contains a wonderful guitar solo!

The album finishes on a high with another up tempo number in 'Paralysed' where Lemmy tells the allegory of him chasing gold in the jungle (surely a metaphor of the career he's had where he has no regrets) where he quips "You'd do the same if it was you"? indeed in his position I would have tried to bed 10,000 Queens of the damned, with an ugly face or not, who cares, even though we might end up with a knife in our backs! It would have been worth it, goddam :) but there is always the whorehouse in Mexico to fall back on...

Even though all of the tracks are strong I do think that the stand out tracks (for this listener) are the slow paced songs 'Lost Woman Blues' and 'Dust and glass'. The former is a wonderful bluesy ballad (about a lost love) which towards the end shifts gears and bursts into life with an up tempo rock blast that ends the song magnificently! The later is both poignant and reflective, which shows off Lemmys philosopical side in his lyrics: "Born in Pain/end in grief/remember this and... die".

In addition I must also mention the Album artwork! It is terrific! On the front sleeve the War Pig floats amongst the wreckage of WW2 tanks (reflecting Lemmy's love of WW2 armaments etc) with one eye menancingly open, about to wreck carnage and chaos once more, like the death machine it is! Also The back sleeve features two old abandoned war jeeps caught up in the sand of the desert, like relics of a forgotten time and place.

Lastly I recommend you buy this album with the fanzine magazine as it contains new interviews, a history of the band, car sticker and a double sided poster! This adds a nice touch to the overall package! So, thanks Lemmy, phil and Mikkey in continuing to make great music and in keeping this cynical old dog happy, even if it's just for the 49 minutes that this CD lasts, but at least I can play it again, and again, and again....
on 3 November 2013
What a fantastic album! I am deeply rooted in old school Motorhead - Golden Years EP was the first metal record I owned - so its taken me a few years to get my head around anything past Orgasmatron. Catching up has been fun but this album just tops it all. There will be better reviews on Amazon and they will no doubt go for track by track critiques but I will just say this - this is now my favourite Motorhead album ever so buy it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 February 2014
Motorhead's 21st studio album (22 if you count 'On Parole') finds Lemmy and Co' treading old ground,there not much in the way of surprises,The band sticking to tried and trusted riffs and recycling old ideas,that their such an acomplished band,they get away with it and make the new materail worth listening to,tracks such as 'Heartbreaker/Silence When You Speak To Me etc all have that comfort of feeling familiar yet new at the same time.

The irony is that when they do try something slightly different they become the album standouts,namely the bluesy 'Lost Woman Blues',which is a career standout let alone the best track here,likewise the 'lighter'.. 'Dust and Glass' ,two refreshing moments which allow the album to breathe.

The ltd edition digipack is fantastic , atriple panel fold out sleeve with 24 page booklet.
on 17 November 2013
to produce one of your finest albums after 38 years is quite remarkable
but lemmy and the boys acccomplish just that, top n otch stuff with phil cambell
playing out of his skin with fine riffs and stunning solo's
great stuff
on 27 January 2014
I have followed Motorhead since 1978 and for me this is one of there best Album after the Ace of Spades. As all motorhead albums you know what your going to get so don't expect anything different.This is Motorhead at their best and they Play "Rock n Roll".
on 2 December 2015
This album is as good as anything Motorhead have ever done. They are going through a good phase, in terms of the quality of the records they are producing at the moment. I think this just has the edge over the recent 'Bad Magic'. Some nice bluesy moments with the usual full on Motorhead attack. 'Heartbreaker', 'Dust & Glass', 'Crying Shame' and 'Keep Your Powder Dry' are highlights for me and show that Lemmy and crew, although not breaking new ground (would we want them to anyway?), still have plenty of quality left to deliver. Sounds great on the 180g vinyl too!
on 19 April 2014
I haven't bought any Motorhead releases for quite some time - my tastes lately being somewhat heavier or quirky. Recently, I've heard a couple of the tracks played on digital radio rock stations, and thought I'd give it a go. This is like traditional rock/metal but with a raw edge, which offers an energy you can't help but get drawn into. It's top notch driving music, particularly when it's warm and the windows are down. Lemmy's vocals are...well, Lemmy's vocals; instantly recognisable, like Ozzy's. It's the guitars which power these songs along. My favourite old Motorhead songs are Killed By Death, and Love For Sale and, although these songs are shorter and more classic in style, they do possess a similar buzz of excitement.

Let me just offer a note of praise for Amazon. My order (I can only assume) went astray in the post. I emailed Amazon late on a Saturday morning, and I was amazed to receive a replacement through my door Sunday morning. You can't ask for more than that. An excellent service, and very well packaged.
on 11 February 2015
Love Lemmy and the Boys but for me not as good as Inferno and Motoriser. More like The World is Ours which I also though had no real stand out killer tracks. Best albums still the first 3, Overkill, Bomber and The Ace of spades.
on 21 October 2013
Only three things in life are utterly reliable: birth, death and Motorhead. This is a fine, classic album. The magazine is a great extra too, with loads of interviews, and these guys are always entertaining in interview. The songs are good, the performance delivers in spades, and the production perfectly suits the music. I'm a picky listener so be assured this is a worthy purchase and if you're new to the Head it's actually a pretty good album to get into them with
on 14 February 2014
Top marks to the boys here.

Seriously, if you like rock music, listen to this and don't enjoy it.....well.......well......I don't know what to say. Go and buy something from One Direction (which is exactly what my 10 year old daughter did...).

Some tremendous material on this, just a great way to spend an hour. Personal favorite is Keep Your Powder Dry, but they're all good.

Hang in there Lemmy......we need you to come up with more like this.