on 9 December 2013
As a fully signed up Apple nut and having worked in the design industry for nearly 20 years I have been waiting for a book like this for ages. It's a real shame that Lyander didn't get direct access to Jony or official Apple channels but to be honest he's done a grand job without it. There must have been some serious research behind it.

It's a great read and really gives you an idea of Jony the man, who is a quiet but truly inspirational character. I already liked his output but now I have a good insight on how Apple's design process works and there are plenty of tips on how I can apply some of those methods to improve my own design process.
on 9 December 2013
If you are an apple fan, or even if you are not, you will love this biography of Jony. It gives an insight into not just Jony's life and his work at apple, but also into the design, innovation and production process at apple that have produced their legendary products.

An easy read, Leander makes the whole story easy to access, whether you are knowledgeable about tech or not.

Thoroughly recommend as a great Christmas gift for those apple fans in your life...
on 19 June 2014
This is a detailed and well-sourced book, and the coolest thing about it was finding all the insider details about Apple's processes - like learning that the iPad was originally going to come before the iPhone, and prototypes began in 2003!
Another good thing is it also doesn't solely focus on Jony's life at Apple - it also talks about his school life, and other jobs, and relationships.

If you love Apple, and design, read it!
on 30 April 2015
I enjoyed the book tremendously as my background is in design and sales and I could relate to many of the problems and solutions achieved.
Jony is a hard worker who has led from the front to help make Apple the successful company that it is today.

I can only wonder where Apple and Jony will be in 5 years time and what products we will be enjoying!
on 8 January 2014
I still remember the frisson of pleasure I felt when I opened the box of my first ever Apple product - an iPod - over a decade ago. It was the first time in my life, I think, that I had ever been impressed by the packaging of something I bought. As this book makes clear, that was no accident: Ive and his colleagues decided to put as much effort into the design of the packaging of the iPod as they did into the product itself.
The Ive who emerges from this book seems a genuinely nice individual, immensely talented and obviously in exactly the right place: the Paul McCartney to Jobs's John Lennon, or vice versa. Its only when you read sequentially through the projects that he's been involved in that you realise what an enormous influence Ive had on modern design, and how positive that influence is.
That said, the book is not particularly profound, and whenever it strays away from subjects the author knows about (essential high tech and design) it rapidly loses its grip. In addition, the fact that Ive did not agree to be interviewed means that it's essentially a - very competent - assembly of interviews that Ive has given elsewhere, and what others have said about him. The author has clearly interviewed everyone he can get his hands on, and the result is, if in the end a bit superficial, a book that any Apple fan will want, and most will read with profit.
on 26 December 2013
Great subject, some interesting facts, but overall indifferently written and a bit flat. In a few places, has the hallmarks of having been rushed out for some reason. If you are an Apple / Jony Ive fan (as I am), then I'd certainly recommend this as a book you will enjoy. But falls a bit short overall.
on 27 November 2013
Leander has produced the most comprehensive insight into Apple design aesthetic and how Jony Ive is key to Apple's success. Well paced and written in a highly accessible style, this book was, for me at least, one I could barely put down. Gutted it's finished to be honest!
on 17 June 2014
A superb look at the man behind the design at Apple. Very interesting as it looks from his childhood and how his father taught him about caring about the whole design, to his moving to California and relationship with Steve Jobs and others at Apple.. Highly recommended.
on 29 April 2016
A lovely book and a great, relaxing read. Purchased for a University essay, but turned out to be very fascinating and enjoyable beyond my initial research requirements from it. Highly recommended. A really eye-opener into the world of Jony Ive and Apple!
on 1 September 2014
An inspiring read for any up and coming designer, especially for any Northumbria University graduate.

Maybe a little repetitive at times but an insightful and detailed look into the world of Apple, product design and manufacturing.