Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 7 January 2014
Could not put this book down, reminded me of my childhood, my father hitting my mum etc ,he was an Irishman as well, drunkard haver gave mum much money either, it is really an excellent tale, it finished and I had tears running down my cheeks, Jim McClean , Rothesay ,isle of bute.
on 13 January 2014
What a well written wee book. I laughed, I cried I got angry and I totally loved this wee book. I've read a lot of books over the years but this one is now in my top 5.
on 24 May 2014
"Spit against the wind". It is one of the best books I have read for years. It takes you back and just reminds you how innocent 11 and 12 year olds were. I was sad when I finished it as I would have liked a sequel but perhaps that would have spoilt it as the children would have been older and more worldly.
VINE VOICEon 4 April 2007
I enjoyed this book. It bounces along nicely and keeps you turning the pages. Gritty realism in an easy to read format; It's a little thin in plot but still wholly enjoyable. My only issue with it was the portrayal of Kaths parents - at the beginning of the story, her father is a brutish alcoholic abusing her downtrodden mother and by the end of it, he's somehow morphed into Husband/Father Of The Year and mum and dad are snuggling up together like a couple of love struck teenagers! If you can ignore this slightly bizarre character change, the story is great! Stick it in your beach bag...
on 8 January 2014
Great read, could find memories of childhood in the book. As good as her other books and read it in a night , also read Homecoming the following night and recommend both
on 13 March 2014
What a lovely read - I could not put this book down. It is the story of 4 young friends who all live in a poor, run down area in a time when a drunken man could knock his wife & children about & no one said a word.. A time when children played out all day & revelled in their freedom & innocence. The reader is touched with the story of each child - of the problems they face, the secrets they hold & ultimately how they decide to resolve those problems
on 14 June 2014
Have just finished reading my kindle book. I really enjoyed this book, I didn't know this author at all. I liked the characters and engaged with them. I wanted to know about them and felt real empathy with them and their families and backgrounds.I will certainly look at other books by this author and would certainly recommend this book, I thoroughly enjoyed this read.
on 5 November 2003
Once I had picked this book up I just couldn't put it down. From beginning to end it had me engrossed resulting in a few tears by the time I had finished reading. You could actually feel the emotions the characters were going through, both happy and sad giving a good insight into how other people live their lives and the long term effects various situations can leave them with. Spit Against the Wind was well written and I'd certainly recommend it.
on 25 February 2014
To say I enjoyed this book would be an understatement! The story telling from the first page kept me enthralled. I had tears streaming down my face at the end and I now want to know what becomes of the heroine. Please keep us up to date Anna!
on 8 March 2014
Another excellent book by Anna Smith very different to the" Rosie" compelling reading books but very nostalgic and so true to that era when women had to bear so many hardships and were treated so badly as a result of unemployment and poverty. It was funny as well. I love all her books I cant put them down. I would recommend any of her books to anyone who is looking for a good read for a winters afternoon. She is my new favorite author...