Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 27 October 2014
What a fantastic third album from Haken. Any lover of quality, passionate music won't fail to be impressed. Brilliant harmony vocals, Gentle Giant style vocals in places, superb musicianship and a little bit of the kitchen sink thrown in too. Harks back to the says when bands weren't afraid to experiment and boy does it all work here. Not a duff track, plenty of variety and all lovely melodies and themes. Just buy it! They have a sense of humour too!
on 7 September 2015
Just brilliantly. Progressive metal doesn't get any better than haken. It is very rare that a band releases four consecutive cd's without a single duff track, but they have managed it. In places, there are some sounds reminiscent of ''Headspace'', to whom if you haven't listened yet I would thoroughly recommend.
A personal favourite on this album is ''falling back to earth''. It has a gorgeous fast, heavy intro into a haunting verse. The high note at the end of this section is phenomenal.
"Atlas stone'' and ''in memoriam'' are another two great prog tracks, that I will never tire of, and ''because its there'' has a beautiful, lengthy intro of intricate vocal harmonies.
Its just a stunning album, no other way to put it. When you fond an album that you wish never ended, its a special occasion and ''the mountain'' gives me goosebumps every time I listen to it. As I sit here writing this I'm listening to it now for the fifth time since buying, and it gets better every single time. Very well done Haken.
on 10 October 2015
I was lucky enough to catch Haken (rhymes with bacon apparently) at the recent Rambling Man Festival. I'd never heard of them before but after staying for one song at the 'Prog' stage with the full intention of then heading off to the main stage to catch the headliners...But I was so blown away by the sheer musicality, humour, and freshness of what I was hearing, I then stayed for the whole set - so glad I did! You can bet I bought 'The Mountain' as soon as I got home... If you are a fan of 1970's Prog Rock but are open to a really fresh modern take on progressive music then I can't recommend Haken highly enough!
on 2 November 2015
New band for me, and this is the first album I have bought but certainly won't be the last. A startling album of music displaying a wide variety of influences delivered with a freshness and individuality that is very rare. Vocal harmonies, thrash metal guitars, soaring melodies, a jazz interlude - you get the picture! But it all blends together with great style and musicianship. A great addition to my collection and thoroughly recommended. Only disappointment is that their earlier work Aquarius is out of stock.
on 1 June 2017
Great band, every album is amazing. This one has Cockroach King on it which is probably their most pop sounding song, that's certainly not a criticism though.
on 14 July 2017
Yep really like this music.
on 20 September 2016
This is one of the best modern prog I have come across, buy.
on 17 November 2016
I love how easy to listen this is.
on 9 December 2013
I'm probably one of the few people my age who know about this band. My kids turned me on to them and they stand toe to toe with my great heroes, Yes Genesis, King Crimson etc. This band and this album are fantastic. I love both the melodies and the execution of those melodies with their musical talent. I love how they can be so melodic and so insane in a good way with the time signatures. For me it's a throw back to the 70's prog rock music which I think is a good thing. Anyway I'm glad I own it.
on 3 October 2016
Despite being a little on the generic side -- any sampled piece will sound pretty much like the entire album -- this is highly listenable. Haken stand somewhere between prog and prog-metal, never quite falling into the trap of delivering everything at maximum volume, yet upping the gain in many places. The quieter parts are really what define them -- acapella passages reminiscent of Gentle Giant, twisting and turning chord sequences, loud stabs, and a very dense background structure to the music. For a six-piece outfit there is surprisingly little variation, and most tracks are written by the same guy. Two band members get keyboard credits, but there's not an awful lot of soloing, most synth pieces tend to be background structure. Vocals are this side of average, which makes me wonder if they've got the vocal/instrumental ratio right -- too much vocal work that doesn't really stand out as it ought to. But very listenable once you've gone through the album a few times.