on 27 October 2014
What a fantastic third album from Haken. Any lover of quality, passionate music won't fail to be impressed. Brilliant harmony vocals, Gentle Giant style vocals in places, superb musicianship and a little bit of the kitchen sink thrown in too. Harks back to the says when bands weren't afraid to experiment and boy does it all work here. Not a duff track, plenty of variety and all lovely melodies and themes. Just buy it! They have a sense of humour too!
on 14 February 2015
Bless you Haken and praise for such an astonishing album.
Well for a starter there isn't a single waisted turn on this spiner.
For old prog heads like me that went all the way from the heavy rock turn to the such
Of Deep Purple>Pink Floyd>Rush>later on after some years of adaptation Dream Theater >Symphony X/Porcupine Tree
And The last two Opeth prog achievements >Tool ...to find the like of Haken is like wining the lottery for me! (In a way of saying ;) )
This band sure learn there craft to master it in any variation,and create yet such a perfect delivered album that hit all
Ticket in such fresh and unclich way...amazing,this one deserve all applause and then some more.
Bravo Haken.
on 7 September 2015
Just brilliantly. Progressive metal doesn't get any better than haken. It is very rare that a band releases four consecutive cd's without a single duff track, but they have managed it. In places, there are some sounds reminiscent of ''Headspace'', to whom if you haven't listened yet I would thoroughly recommend.
A personal favourite on this album is ''falling back to earth''. It has a gorgeous fast, heavy intro into a haunting verse. The high note at the end of this section is phenomenal.
"Atlas stone'' and ''in memoriam'' are another two great prog tracks, that I will never tire of, and ''because its there'' has a beautiful, lengthy intro of intricate vocal harmonies.
Its just a stunning album, no other way to put it. When you fond an album that you wish never ended, its a special occasion and ''the mountain'' gives me goosebumps every time I listen to it. As I sit here writing this I'm listening to it now for the fifth time since buying, and it gets better every single time. Very well done Haken.
on 30 November 2013
The best yet from Haken.
There's beauty, complexity, subtlety and power aplenty here.
Standout tracks:
Atlas Stone, Cockroach King & Paredolia
Also rans:
None, they're all good!

Some people might call Haken 'the British Dream Theater'; but they're better than that.
on 10 October 2015
I was lucky enough to catch Haken (rhymes with bacon apparently) at the recent Rambling Man Festival. I'd never heard of them before but after staying for one song at the 'Prog' stage with the full intention of then heading off to the main stage to catch the headliners...But I was so blown away by the sheer musicality, humour, and freshness of what I was hearing, I then stayed for the whole set - so glad I did! You can bet I bought 'The Mountain' as soon as I got home... If you are a fan of 1970's Prog Rock but are open to a really fresh modern take on progressive music then I can't recommend Haken highly enough!
on 18 September 2015
Yes, really got to agree with other reviewers that this is an impressive album by a Band at the top of their form. It grabs you immediately on the first listen which is quite rare for progressive rock . I give this only 4 stars instead of 5 as I prefer albums that grow on you as they provide more listening longevity but that's how I love my music. Still, impressive stuff and no prog rock fan will be disappointed by this purchase.
on 2 November 2015
New band for me, and this is the first album I have bought but certainly won't be the last. A startling album of music displaying a wide variety of influences delivered with a freshness and individuality that is very rare. Vocal harmonies, thrash metal guitars, soaring melodies, a jazz interlude - you get the picture! But it all blends together with great style and musicianship. A great addition to my collection and thoroughly recommended. Only disappointment is that their earlier work Aquarius is out of stock.
on 1 June 2017
Great band, every album is amazing. This one has Cockroach King on it which is probably their most pop sounding song, that's certainly not a criticism though.
on 8 February 2014
I bought this album with my christmas amazon vouchers, and boy, am I the happy one! This group are amazingly talented, creating breathtaking music of awesome variation but all at the highest quality. The more I listen to this, the more I hear, there are so many layers to this masterpiece, so many styles, such quality of construction and delivery. From jazzy, prog, pop, flying pickets, heavy, ultra heavy they deliver it all with aplomb and salubrious humour too. Sublime drumming, top drawer guitar work, harmonising, tempo changes, mood swings I could go on and on....! Utterly magnificent, and even when I draw my hard earned pension I won't tire of teleporting to a beautiful place as I relive the experience that is 'The Mountain'.
on 7 December 2013
This album brings the best of all kinds of prog. All major influences are here such as Queen, Radiohead, Yes, Steven Wilson, Dream Theater and others. But the band genuinely creates and doesn't copy. Strongly recomended.