Customer reviews

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 14 March 2017
A nice complimentary piece to The Raven That Refused to Sing. Love the live stuff! So sad there isn't more.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 1 February 2014
The major record companies should really take note of this release from Mr Wilson and Kscope, the small independent label where Mr Wilson plies his trade. If they want us to put our hard earned money their way instead of just listening on streaming sites then give us something worthwhile. That is clearly Mr Wilson and Kscope's philosophy with this excellent mini album. So what, you ask, makes this so worthwhile. Well, for £11 pounds I got two discs, a Blu Ray and a CD each containing almost an hour of excellent music. The Blu Ray has the promotional videos for Drive Home and The Raven.........., both of which bring a new level of haunting beauty and melancholy to these excellent tracks. Next up there is live footage of Steven and band in concert on the last tour with expanded versions of four songs from his solo output. I wasn't lucky enough to catch this tour, all I can say is that this footage just makes me kick myself for not discovering Mr Wilson's talents earlier. And finally two audio only tracks, the previously unreleased 'The Birthday party' and an orchestral version of 'The Raven........'. Needless to say all tracks are available in both Stereo and HD 5.1 surround, which is the best way to listen to it, afterall this is Steven Wilson the magician of 5.1 mixing.

The compact disc contains the audio for all the above tracks. So why do you need the CD you ask. Simple I can listen to this magical music in the car and when I can't get near the Blu Ray player because the kids are watching Pokemon I can listen to it on my CD player.

So, if you're already a fan of Mr Wilson's work you really do need to buy this, and if you have a Blu Ray player with 5.1 this is the one to get. If on the other hand you are merely thinking of flirting with Mr Wilson, then this is a good place to start. You'll soon be hooked I can assure you.
on 5 January 2014
Steven Wilson has continued to produce yet another great album of great songs. His quality to detail is amazing, the sound on this DVD and CD is stunning. The band is top class and really makes Stevens songs come alive and have a lot of presence. Drive Home is not available in Australia despite Steven Wilson actually touring the album here recently. I had to order this from overseas just to hear it.

The video clips are spectacular as is the 5.1 surround sound mix, may be the best yet from Steven Wilson.
on 26 October 2013
This has got to be the best "single" I have bought in a long, long time as there is an enormous amount of content:
Firstly there are 2 videos from the album "The Raven that refused to sing & other stories" beginning with the beautifully melancholy "Drive Home" and followed by the haunting title track from the album "The Raven that refused to sing" which has to be one of the most emotional promo films I have ever seen. I simply defy anybody to watch this & not be moved.
For most artists that would be plenty for the single, but not Steven Wilson, as we then get an absolute treat with 4 previously unreleased live cuts shot on the current world tour in Frankfurt - The Holy Drinker (watch out for some nifty Bass work from SW), Insurgentes, The Watchmaker & The Raven that refused to sing. It has to also be said that for all of you reading this who have the previous live set "Get All You Deserve" that this is a slightly different band, with lead guitar duties now handled by the excellent Guthrie Govan who has really brought something special to the table with his playing, and it does change the sound of the band although I feel it is for the better (not that I am trying to say the previous guitarist was bad - far from it - just watch it & you will see).
We're still not done though, as there are 2 further "Audio-only" tracks "The Birthday Party" & a stripped back version of "The Raven".
All this in 24/96 stereo & lossless DTS-HD 5.1 as well (assuming you have a player that can access the lossless component & not just the core audio version)

Most artists would call this an album - and it is truly outstanding. I cannot recommend it highly enough.
on 27 October 2013
If you've bought "The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories)" then you already know the music on here, although the live versions are well worth the extra effort. But it's the videos for Drive Home and The Raven that this is really worth purchasing for. Two pieces of sheer beauty that deserve to be seen by a far larger audience than they ever will have. The videos take the stories from the songs and enhance them in such a poetic way. Buy it, you won't be disappointed. Oh, and keep those tissues handy!
on 18 March 2014
When Virginia Woolf agonised over the modern novel and how it might escape the past, she ruminated on the idea that words we knew so well could be structured in sentences that belied their customary meaning. The idea that we betray ourselves by how we speak, the words we use and how we phrase them. So it is with Music and with Art. It is not necessary to re-invent sound or image, it is imperative that we take what we understand and reshape it so that it becomes something other than itself. This is the Art of Steven Wilson. The sounds and shapes breathe as we might understand them, but they point in a different direction, they suggest something else. I could describe every subtle reflection of the past embedded in the songs, and I did, at first. But then I just began to hear and feel something else, something that was impossible to feel in 1974 or 1992: the freshness is the combination of everything we know about this music but re-spelt, rebuilt. And the videos are quite stunning in their breath-taking simplicity; beguiling us with tales of sadness; with shadows and shapes that speak of broken hearts and lost lives.
on 28 October 2013
I totally agree with all that has been said in the previous reviews. There is one thing I would like to add - the orchestral version of The Raven is absolutely stunning. In my opinion its even better than the original version. Listen to when the strings come in where the drums came in on the original. Simply beautiful.
on 5 December 2013
I had my reserves to buy this due to the mixed bag. Video , live & pure audio ? Well , it is big time ok. The quality of the videos is superbe, the live images aswell and the audio also. I think this item is perticular interesting for people who are not yet familiar with SW-works and get here a nice package which leaves you wanting more. So hopefully we get a live concert on bluray of the show as it would be a nice thingy to have in my collection since I saw Wilson live in Leuven ( Belgium ) four days after his Royal Albert Hall concert and boy his concert was tight in playing. So is this blu-ray advisable / yes sure it is. Recommended at full.
on 15 January 2015
Steven Wilson quality reigns supreme.
The title video is exquisite , perhaps SW and the production team should take on the task of producing next years John Lewis Chrustmes advert.
The live video is great, but, if you want THE highest quality recording of Steven Wilson and his band performing live, seek out the "get all you deserve " Blu ray, in terms of 5.1 concert audio, I have heard nothing to match it, by anyone.
on 27 December 2013
For completists only as these videos for Drive Home can be found on Youtube. It's great to have them on one Blue Ray and also some great live footage in 5.1 lossless from the "Raven" tour. A joy to watch although I am sure you can find this online.

having said that this is an essential purchase for any discerning Steven Wilson Fanatic albeit a strange release.