Love To Love You Donna
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 February 2018
Donna Summer at her best was in a league of her own. The early collaborations with Giorgio Moroeder were groundbreaking. The sparse futuristic electronic beats and breathy soulful vocals still sound awesome nearly 50 years later. Part of what made those records "click" was the sparse production- loads of "space" in and around the track with the vocals floating aloft the production. This is lost on any remixers who tend to fall into the trap of filling all of those spaces with more production that really spoils the ambiance of the track - creating a dense wall of sound. Only a couple of tracks on this album respect the original material and guess who remixed it? None other Giorgio himself!- the rest is dire- like painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa you have to ask "What was the point? The old maxim "less is more" was never truer when applied to this project
on 9 April 2014
I have always been a DS fan - since I was 12. I was looking forward to this album of remixes, because I miss her voice so much. The idea of doing remixes was brilliant, but previews were disappointing (apart from LOVE IS IN CONTROL). When finally I decided to buy the album anyway, I found some brilliant remixes:
LOVE TO LOVE YOU BABY (of course, by the MAESTRO, no need to say his name), HOT STUFF (RIP Frankie Knuckles), LOVE IS IN CONTROL, BAD GIRLS, LAST DANCE (pure delight). The WORKING THE MIDNIGHT SHIFT Remix was much criticised for being a cover in that it doesn't include Donna's vocals, but it's a nice remake anyway. It would have been great if the master tapes had been kept with the care they deserved! As regards the unreleased DOLCE VITA, in my opinion it would have deserved a place in CRAYONS (thanks to the MAESTRO again!). So, 6/7 tracks out of 13: the price has dropped and now it is worth your money.
on 28 September 2015
Very disappointing. As a seasoned Donna Summer fan these remixes did not add anything special to my Donna collection. Prefer the originals and remembering Donna as the great disco star she was , not as an experiment for Dj's getting onto the we love Donna band waggon. A huge disappointment. Prefer to remember Donna in her original glory. Sorry guys not for me. Those amazing classics ruined for me!
on 27 September 2017
La Dolce Vita is fantastic. The only selling point on this compilation but well worth it. Hopefully one day we will see the release of other later works on an album in their original versions such as Adonai, Valley Of The Moon etc.
on 15 March 2016
Love Donna, especially her 70s albums but this is a remix album who have bad remixes the original versions on her Casablanca albums cant get better in the original versions!!!!
on 13 February 2017
A great album but with a couple of dub mixes and another female vocal on the lead of WTMS, kind of let it down for me. It's still worth a listen to it and I play it a lot. One of my fave album covers of hers though.
on 6 January 2016
Excellent CD with re-mixes I had not heard, Get price to !!
on 20 April 2014
Great vocalist
Some of the remixes are a bit odd
But Donnas voice overcomes the shortfalls
Some remixes should reflect the era in which the were released
on 25 November 2013
A great compilation of classic Donna tracks, remixed and totally reborn for today's dance floors. Love is in control is an excellent rework/remix , Bad Girls and Hot Stuff are both very danceable and easy on the ear. Some mixes do take some getting used to, but all in all a good remix album. As a devoted Donna fan I decided to listen to this with new ears and treat it as a whole new experience, sometimes hard given how I love the originals, but if I'd just expected the tracks to be more like the first time around I would've been disappointed. Don't expect the songs you know and love, just go with the new sound and enjoy !
on 5 February 2014
Don't really understand all the negative reactions to this release.
I think it.s great to hear some different takes on the originals.
But, oh how i wish Giorgio had done them all!!!!
Now, that would have been 10 Stars!!!