Customer reviews

good read
on 15 September 2014
excellent
on 15 August 2013
This book, the eighth in the series, is much longer, but still not long enough to get to the end (joke). At 94,000 words Ryk Brown has increased the read by 50% over the initial books and the story benefits from it in greater detail and content. The characters we have followed since the beginning are maturing and beginning to take more of a back seat to the action, of which there is plenty, and this helps drive the story forward at a faster pace.

There is a lot more going on in this book as events draw together the Earth's recent history without pulling the story too far from the present. The introduction of new characters and ships opens up opportunities galore. In book eight, Ryk Brown has laid an excellent foundation for more dynamic and action packed sequels.

As usual, I couldn't put it down. As always, Ryk writes a very good story and the end always comes far too quickly for me.
on 1 September 2013
A slightly different tact to the previous books, where 50% of it is focused on Earth's response to the Jung Invasion. I like the 'old light' idea, it's not original but it's been done before and it's a great plot device.

So yes, a must read for fans of the series. The authors writing style has come on a lot since the first few books. This is how episodic books should be - not overly long, with frequent releases, and a fresh story.
on 20 October 2013
I brought this for my holidays having exhausted the supply of my usual Star Trek and Stargate novels. I have brought a couple on non mainstream sci fi books before and have been lucky in my choices. This series has surpassed any I have previously read. It is a good length and not over in a couple of hours like some cheaper books are.
It is well written and not littered with spelling mistakes. The story itself is excellently written retaining interest and having a number of unexpected twists along the way non of which ventured into the realm of the ridiculous. Indeed at some points I had to resist a strong urge to peek ahead to find the outcome of a particular storyline.
I only usually read when on holiday or working away from home, but on my return home I had to continue until I had read all episode so far published.
on 8 October 2014
There is virtually no plot development in this episode and it felt far more like a bloated filler while the author thought of something to add to the main storyline. Up to now this is the only episode which has really let me down in terms of the overall plot as around 80% of this book contributed virtually nothing to the storyline instead creating rather useless development for characters which shortly got killed off.

Overall the same story could have been conveyed in a quarter of this text or spread out through other episodes without completely halting the actual story on the main characters. I found myself starting to skim pages as it was simply boring me at numerous places, pretty disappointed. Hopefully the next in the series will improve again else I will not be reading any further.
on 11 September 2013
Can't wait for the next in the series, love the way the plots and characters are developing!
I don't agree with those whose reviews have said Ryk is 'milking it', or 'the eighth book is going off the theme' . For me this is exactly how a science fiction story should evolve, I assume Ryk has mapped out the whole story and has an end in sight, but I don't care how long he takes to do it, the longer the better, and who minds, when you are paying less than two quid a book on Kindle?
Maybe some of the doubters have never watched the series re-runs of all the Stargate spin offs on Sky/Fox and wondered if their scriptwriters are 'going off plot' or 'milking the style'
Keep it up, Ryk
on 19 August 2013
I was disappointed by this book. I found myself skipping pages. I've enjoyed the series, but not this one. This was slightly without direction. There were good passages, but these were never developed. There were new characters introduced, then most were killed off. This should have finished off with the CV01 and CV02 meeting up. There were no problems overcome, no battles won. The major worry about fuel that this book started with was still there at the end. I ended up with the impression that the author didn't know where to take the series now. Please finish it by book 12! (you can always right another extension series after).
on 11 September 2013
Good character and story. The vivid descriptions of combat and crew relationships make the story line exciting tense and realistic. Roll on episode 9
on 28 September 2013
IT IS A GOOD DEVELOPMENT OF EPISODES 1 - 7.
I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO THE CONTINUATION
THEY CANNOT COME OUT FAST ENOUGH FOR ME!