on 3 May 2017
Having begun reading several plot structuring novels, what surprised me (pleasantly) was that Weiland's focuses not only on structure over the whole book, but also within scenes and sentence structure.
I have now bookmarked several of the pages and am using them as guides for all editing tasks.
A great and easy read, with many examples that are both helpful and well-explained.
6 people found this helpful
on 22 April 2014
Structuring Your Novel is the first book I've read that actually explains what editors expect to see in a novel--ie what should happen in your novel and when. It provides aspiring novelists with an appropriate structure on which to hang their story ideas; and, if you've already written a novel, you can also use this structure to see where you may have gone wrong. It's very straightforward, easy to read, and provides a wealth of useful information for writers. The first part of this book discusses novel structure; the second part covers scenes. In the Kindle format, it's an absolute bargain.
on 31 January 2016
An excellent companion to the aspiring author, detailing novel structure. K M Weiland discusses absolutely everything concerning story, scene and sentence structure, right from the very basics to advanced options and techniques. She shows no hesitation in sharing her vast knowledge on the subject, providing the reader with a clear, conscise path to novel structure. In one word, amazing.
on 14 September 2016
In starting my writing journey, I read numerous guides from several different authors. Weiland's books are the only ones to which I have repeatedly returned. Wow! This book offers "well-structured" and practical advice on how to structure the plot of a fictional novel. Being new to writing, I found it an excellent resource for learning the craft of story writing. I have referenced this book and its companion workbook countless times. Weiland's Outlining Your Novel is equally helpful. I would recommend you order the set of four!!
on 2 September 2014
If you are floundering in the middle of your first novel, this book will save you from drowning and bring you out the other side. Wish I had bought it sooner, maybe wouldn`t have taken me so long to figure out my own story! Not only covers novel structure but character arc and plot points. Brilliant. It has everything a novice writer needs. Highly recommend.
2 people found this helpful
on 24 March 2015
I have returned to this book time and again for refreshing my checklist of my rewriting schedule. It never lets me down.

I have bought a fair few of these How To books, and this one is in my top 5.

Very clear writing, with just the right amount of examples to illustrate the points.

Thank you for writing such a clear book!
One person found this helpful
on 14 October 2014
Very thorough, a real help for structuring your book with good examples. The analysis of what an inciting incident, key point, hook, mid-point, etc are is really helpful and the necessity of each component of a good novel is explained in detail. Recommend if you are just starting out.
2 people found this helpful
on 1 December 2015
Recommend this, particularly for writers who have already finished a draft of their MS. Easy to read and highly useful. There's nothing out of this world or exceptional about it, but it is a well-written book that does what it says it will do. I would have liked the author to use more than the four main examples and less references to films. However, because this is supposed to describe how to structure 'all' novels, it makes sense that it's up to the reader to decide what to use and what not to use. Overall very satisfied.
on 28 November 2016
Not finished yet, but so far nothing that didn't come naturally. Everyone's different though, so it might be exactly what you need! Really liked the "Outlining your novel" book by the same author, though. super helpful!
on 16 July 2017
Excellent, well pointed discussion on a well written about subject. I would also recommend her other books, especially 'OutliningYour Novel'.
One person found this helpful