on 31 January 2013
Brilliant read, has all you would want from a good book. The characters and drama are spot on and it is all believable.
The emotions, laughs, tears, sex, violence are all well researched and have been put together brilliantly.

It is not another frustrating book where the book reads the same but the title and author is different, you will not find an innocent virgin willing to submit to a rich handsome mogul but you will find real emotion and drama and like me you will be rooting for team Gavin Blake :)

I would say this is similar to : Accidently On Purpose, Chance Encounters and Thoughtless.
There are some books that pull you into a story and consume you, they take over your mind, pull on your heart and course through your veins.
COLLIDE is one of those books!

From start to finish I was pulled heart first into Emily and Gavin’s world, I found myself wishing they could make it work, hating Emily’s boyfriend Dylan and melting with every encounter Emily and Gavin had.

But most of all I found myself crushing hard on Gavin Blake, Mr. Tall. Dark and Handsome. He just sounds incredible!
The descriptiveness with which Gail McHugh described him had me licking my lips and lost in a world of attraction.
Honestly, when I read the scene with Gavin wearing glasses, I was all of a quiver, this man is HOT.

But it’s not all looks with Gavin, there is so much more to this handsome, heavenly creature. The impact of his emotions for Emily is heavily reflected in the pages and it’s through these words that the reader is taken on a journey of many emotions.

For this is an intense story that will have you experiencing loss, lust, love and anger.

Gail McHugh has created an incredible mix of characters who will have you either loving them or hating them.
Every character is slightly flawed, whether it’s their inability to open their heart, disguise their temper, manipulate others or trust to easily. But for me, every flaw is an opportunity to relate to them more, to open my heart and mind to characters who seem so real.

It’s not just Gavin and Emily who won me over, but I also found myself loving Olivia and her outspoken ways.

Every page, every chapter is just WOW, but I must admit my heart melted when introduced to Gavin’s niece and nephew.
Gavin really is the whole package.

The truth is, this book it’s consuming, it’s a love like I want, it’s a man like I need, it’s a story that’s going to stay with me forever.
It’s WOW!
on 6 June 2014
*I received a copy in exchange for honest review*

“Fate and the roads that get placed in front of us. It’s like one huge puzzle that ultimately fits in the end.”

After the death of her mother Emily Cooper moves to New York for a fresh start, and to be nearer to her boyfriend Dillon Parker. Dillon support her took care of her when she needed him most. She loves him…. he is the one… her future, or she thinks until she meets Gavin Blake. Mr. Tall, Dark, and very Handsome. A man who makes her question her decisions, and all that thinks she knows.

“Her breath hitched at the sight of the tall, devastatingly beautiful man who was making his way toward her. She felt thrown off kilter as though her equilibrium had skewed itself all over the building.”

I really enjoy the storyline, and there will be no storyline spoiler from me, but I will say it was hot, steamy, and had its fair share as angst and drama. I knew that with the love triangle aspect of the story it was going to take me on that me that emotional rollercoaster that I love. It was one of those books that once I started I didn’t want to put down, and did I love it? Yes, I did every minute of it.

"Sometimes, bad choices bring us to the right people."

Emily was sweet, I had a love/ hate relationship with her, only because she was frustrating at times, and I didn’t like some of her choices. I wanted to shake her, and tell her to open her eyes, and see what was going on, however, there were also times that I did feel for her especially toward the ends, I just wanted to hug her.

“I’ve never felt so heartbroken and so in love at the same time.”

I loved Gavin, and everything about him, he was sexy, charming, wealthy, and an alpha. And oh the things he said and the way he said them. The way he was with Emily, wanting her to see she deserved better, always letting her know his true feeling for her. There was a magnetic pull about him. I could so understand why Emily feels the way she did about him. This man!! The bottle tops!! Swoon!!!

“Let me love every part of you. Your mind…your body…your heart…your scars…your quirks…your habits…your thoughts…all of you. Give me all of if, Emily.”

“When you want something this badly, you don't just give up. You fight and fight until you absolutely can't fight anymore.”

I won’t say too much about Dillon, but if I tell you I want to punch him in the face so many times I think you will get the picture. I just didn’t like him, and the way he treated Emily.

The sexual angst, tension, passion connection, and chemistry between Emily and Gavin were undeniable. I love the way Gail McHugh describes their relationship, how they are fighting their emotions, and how that both feel about each other, every time they were in the same room together you could just feel it. It was just oozing off the pages. I just couldn’t get enough I love all there encounters together,

“Every part of you was made for me. Your lips were made to kiss mine, your eyes were made to wake up to me looking at you in my bed every morning, and your f***ing tongue was made to roll my name off of it. I am more certain of us than I’m certain that I require oxygen to breathe.”

There were some great secondary characters such as Emily’s best friend and roommate Olivia, Loved her! She was a true friend to Emily, who always told her truth even what she didn’t want to hear it, and we all need friend like that, also she too hated Dillon.

“Make yourself useful and unpack her belongings or something, Donkey-D**k-Kong.”

Overall I loved Collide, this was the first book I had read by Gail, and I would definitely read more of her work. I loved her characters (Will most) her writing style, she writes with such passion, and it was captivating from the start. The ending!! Yes, it’s a cliffhanger; last 60 pages had me on the end of my seat, as it was gripping, intense, and heartbreaking, but also hopeful. I’m so glad that the next book Pulse is available to read now as otherwise I would be in such a bad mood right now.

I highly recommend that you one- click this book today as you won’t be disappointed, I wasn’t, and I have a paperback book full of pink post-it notes for my highlights prove it.

One more from Mr. Tall, Dark, and very Handsome…

“I want it all, Emily. I want to spend my nights holding hands with you,” he breathed the words into her ear. “I want the all-day texting. I want the laughing and the forehead kisses. I want the date nights, the movie watching, and the breakfast making. I want the late-night drives, the sunset watching, the screaming, the yelling, and the crying.” Still kissing her, he smiled against her mouth. “I know I’ll definitely want the make-up sex that comes after all of the screaming and crying. I want the good, the bad, and the in-between.”
on 3 March 2016
I can't recommend this book enough and I am worried for my sanity after I have finished the second book and can no longer get my fix of Gavin Blake.

I've read A LOT of erotic/sexy romance books but this one tops them all. I was hooked from the start, the characters and storyline are both believable and captivating and Gail McHugh's style of writing is right up my street.

Without giving too much away here's a brief outline of what to expect.... We are first introduced to Emily, she has lost her mother and is going to live with her boyfriend Dillan in New York. She takes a job in an italian restaurant and upon making a delivery bumps into Gavin Blake, little does she know that he will change her life in a BIG way.

Take a bow Gail McHugh, this is an amazing book.
on 4 October 2013
OH MYYYYY LIFE!

Ok, I'm going to start off with a warning. Only read this book when you have bugger all else to do for the day! You will not want to put it down!
Jesus, what a rollercoaster! This book has totally messed up my day. I read last night until I physically could not keep my eyes open. I was so tired that I was falling asleep half way through a chapter and dreaming the rest of the story. In the end, I gave up. I picked it up when the other half left for work and said to myself `Oh, I'll just read a bit before I get up.' Two hours later and I drag myself out of bed to feed my poor starving dogs.
Whilst eating my breakfast, I decide to just read a bit before getting in the shower and continuing with my day. That was two hours ago. And here I sit, unshowered, in my PJs, breakfast bowl on the table next to me, writing this review!!! I couldn't not! I had to get it out.

So, let's talk about 'Collide'.
Wow. It's intense! Who did I love and who did I hate... I loved Gavin, my feelings yo-yo'd for Emily and hated Dillon!!! There are great surrounding characters in this book too. Emily's friend's Olivia and Fallon are fab. Gavin's friend Trevor is super cute.
In 'Collide' Emily moves to New York to be nearer her boyfriend, Dillon, and best friend, Olivia, after the death of her mother. But upon moving into the post-college `real world' and what is also Dillon's world, things aren't what Emily hopes they will be.
Dillon's high powered job keeps him out late at night, his interfering exes rear their ugly heads, his alcohol consumption seems to be spiralling out of control and he has a temper that Emily hadn't witnessed before.
And to top it all off, Emily meets Gavin. Gavin is insanely sexy. He's gorgeous, wealthy, charming and he's got his heart set on Emily.

'Though his father had told him stories about it happening, until that fateful afternoon, Gavin Blake had believed that love at first site didn't exist.'

And then they realise that Gavin is Dillon's close friend and Emily is Dillon's girlfriend. 'Collide' follows Gavin and Emily as they try to deal with their undeniable connection to one another and the fallout that it leaves in it's wake.

"I've never felt so heartbroken and so in love at the same time. If you would've told me the day we met that you were going to break my heart - and that days, months, or even years would pass, that I would still be hurting like this - it wouldn't have stopped me from falling in love with you."

We'll begin with Emily. Urgh, the girl needed a kick up the backside at times. I didn't dislike her. At times my heart broke for her. At times I wanted to shake her. And at times I was right behind her, cheering her on. Dillon helped her through an incredibly painful time, when she lost her mother and she feels strongly indebted to him for this. I can completely see why this drives some of her poor choices and reactions to his behaviour. But, my God, was it frustrating!

'Her mind tried to fight a bloody battle against what her body already knew. She wanted him, and she wanted him bad.'

Dillon is a d***head. There's no two ways about it. He's controlling, possessive, aggressive, arrogant, manipulative, disrespectful, unfaithful, dishonest... shall I continue?! I absolutely hated him from quite early on in the book. As soon as he started becoming a little overbearing, I could totally see where the author was taking the story and my dislike for Dillon began to fester.
And then there's Gavin. *sigh* Gavin Gavin Gavin Gavin Gavin. `Mr. Tall, Dark and F***able Handsome' ! At the beginning of the book, he's just undeniably hot, smooth, panty-wetting, gorgeous, [insert complimentary adjective here]... But as the book progresses, he becomes so much more than that.
Now, I'm not usually one to buy into the whole `love at first sight' spiel, but it totally didn't bother me in this book. I luuurrrved the way Gavin wanted Emily. I loved that every time they were in the same room, their eyes locked and they were drawn to one another. I loved that he felt that she was meant to be with him, despite the fact that she was with Dillon. And, hell, I was even bouncing in my seat when they were sneaking around behind everyone's backs!! The stolen touches, the secret glances, the whispered innuendos. Mmmmm mmmm!

"Am I making it hard for you?" he asked mockingly.
"Yes, Gavin you are," she quietly spat, her fingertips white-knuckled around her glass.
With his need for her trapped inside - blistering hot, sweltering, ready to explode - he leaned in closer, dropping his voice. "Good, because whenever you're near me, I f***ing lose every bit of self-control I have left."

Speaking of which... Oh my goodness, this book is Haaaawt! with a capital H and an `aw'!

"There's not a man on Earth who doesn't wish he was me right now. Your mind and your body will never forget the things I'm going to do to you tonight. Every...single...inch of your body is going to feel me."
"Oh my God."
"Yes."

I guess it's the idea of the forbidden fruit. The taboo. And I know it makes me a very bad, morally corrupt person, but squeeeee, I freakin' loved it! It's like Thoughtless, but if Denny were a complete tool!

"I want you to give in to what I see behind your eyes every time I'm near you. I want you to give in to the way you trembled in my arms when I touched you... the way your breathing becomes faster when I look at you. I loved the way your lips felt against mine, and I'm pretty sure you did, too. I also enjoy the way I can almost feel you becoming wet for me right now. Are you going to pretend that you don't feel anything for me, Emily?"

And lastly, there's the ending. Jesus H. Christ! I've had this on my Kindle for months and I kept looking at it, wondering if I should just read it. And then I got asked to be a part of the blog tour to read and review the second book, Pulse. So, I decided to putCollide on hold and wait until near the date of my blog stop, so that I could read both at once. Thank f*** I did! Otherwise, right now, I'd be pulling my hair out. It's a brutal, heart-pounding, palm-sweating cliffhanger.

"Sometimes, bad choices bring us to the right people."

The last 20% of this book is fast paced and absolutely deliciously juicy! I couldn't tear my eyes away (hence the lack of shower debacle). It's steamy, heart breaking, intense, painful and explosive.
So, I'm going to force myself to go and do normal day-to-day, mandatory things right now, before allowing myself to dive into Pulse ready for my blog spot on Monday.

Collide Statistics
Steam Rating (out of 5): ♥♥♥♥♥
Ending: Cliffhanger
Series: ✓ (Collide series)
Reading Order:
Book #1 - Collide
Book #2 - Pulse
Can this be read as a standalone? No
Themes:
Love triangle
Love at first sight
Controlling partner
Warning. This book includes...
Love triangle
Love at first sight
Controlling partner
Cheating
Writing: Great

Review by Smitten's Book Blog
on 13 October 2014
Loved this book. It is more 'normal' than is usually case - excepting that Gavin (the hero) has squillions of dollars. Easy to read and you'll find yourself really identifying with the hero, who seems to be really misunderstood. The heroine is a bit wet but she is being manipulated by the boyfriend (who is not the hero) who I would have dumped as soon as Gavin showed up - but that would have made for a very short book! Not sure that I would really describe it as 'erotic romance fiction' - there are several sex scenes, but nothing like those in Fifty Shades or the Crossfire series. Overall a really good choice for a wet Sunday, with no really bizarre or creepy scenes that I recall. And the cover is a refreshing change from all the black that seems to be the norm for this genre. Obviously the whole story couldn't be told in one volume(!!) so don't expect the ending to be the end!
on 2 April 2013
Wow I absolutely flippin loved this book!!! What a great story but what an ending I mean seriously I actually screamed out loud to an empty room 'NO WAY CAN IT END THERE'  I mean I need the next book now now now!!!!
I have read a lot of books about girl meets boy and then meets other boy and then ensues the love triangle but this book was just a step above most of them and I think that was down to how Gail Mchugh was able to get the emotions of The characters across to you.

I loved Emily from the start and I loved the relationship she had with her best friend Olivia but from the very first few chapters I did take a disliking to Dillon although unsure as to why exactly.  Emily was in such a delicate place when you first meet her and all I wanted for her was for her to be happy as she just came across as so sweet and honest and after going through the loss of her mum you just wanted her to feel loved and safe i also liked that although surrounded by it she was not motivated or driven by money or greed.  I think that was why I could not take to Dillon as he just seemed to be all about stature money and image and as a true romantic that just did not float my boat... Enter Mr Gavin Blake a man who seemingly has it all, the ridiculous good looks, the money, the penthouse, but NOT the egotistical arrogance attitude or self importance that can come with it!!  So Yep that's right I have another book boyfriend to add to my list as I can honestly say Mr Blake made me swoon my way in love with him.

Finally I love it when I am reading a book and I highlight paragraph's in nearly every chapter because something moves me or makes me laugh and Collide most certainly had me highlighting all the way through.  from funny one liners from the best friend and family to heartfelt declarations of love this book had a bit of everything and I loved it all.... Except the cliffhanger... NOOOOOOO I cannot wait!!! :)

So for me this book was without doubt a 5/5!!
on 20 January 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, it's been a while since this type of story has had my stomach rolling and heart racing with the will they won't they that weaves its way right through this book to the cliffhanger ending!!!
I really felt for Emily, she tries really hard to stay faithful and loyal (I know, there's no excuse for cheating - EVER) but her loyalty to Dillon is commendable even when he acts like an idiot, the revelation of what he did for her mum on a personal level did make me see him as more human, after all watching anybody go through that trauma takes strength and all what he is aside, he must've shown strength and generosity at that time, I didn't understand why that was so skewed by Gavin & Olivia - it didn't seem fair. However, his other secrets and lies had me hollering at my iPad for her to run for the hills in whatever escape route she could, on all other levels he's a d**k!!!!!
There's no denying the connection between Emily & Gavin, their chemistry just sizzles off the page, they're fated to be together,(and obviously Gavin has a ruthless streak when it comes to getting what he wants, do good looks and charm negate that????) all the signs are there and of course the path of true love never runs smooth, however, some of the scenarios were a little too predictable and have been done too many times over, I want to distrust an author, I want to draw in my breath and say "no way!!!" that's what would've got 5 stars from me and I have a feeling book 2 may well just produce that.
on 30 July 2013
I have read hundreds of books and very few have touched me like this novel. It was exciting and an emotional roller coaster. I could see the characters and the scenes unfolding like a movie in my head. I smiled, laughed and cried my way through collide. My heart broke and shattered for Emily at least a dozen times. Dillon I really don't like I'm so glad she seen him for who he really is. My heart unfortunately carries compassion for this character too. He has a serious problem connected to a dozen issues. One of them being controlling and definitely possessive. I love Gavin and when his many layers are stripped away he really is a brutally honest, charming and at time unravelling and cheeky man. I love his passion and love for Emily and how he expresses his feelings to her. Emily herself is an incredible character also she doesn't even see how much of a good person she is and how beautiful inside and out she is. Gavin though has helped her to see that and I see her confidence in herself growing and her love for him becoming even stronger. I also love her friend Olivia she seems to possess all the ingredients every ones best friend should have. She's always honest and reliable for Emily. She is her compass at times and tries to navigate her in the right direction towards Gavin off course. She's also very mischievous at times which I lovelier antics have to make you laugh out loud. Collide reminds me of the twilight novels in one way only. Gavin and Emily's love for each other is so like bells and Edward's. I loved these books because of the characters I can't live without you or I'll die form of love. Collide has that ingredient for me as we'll as the brutal truth that things like this happen to many people all over the world. I finish my long review with well done you should be immensely proud of yourself gail. Collide is incredible, amazing and no doubt has helped and opened many people's eyes to see the whole truth. I have already purchased pulse knowing a few pages into collide that I'd go insane if I had to wait to read the next one. Thanks for sharing such amazing writing and an incredibly beautiful inside and outside story yet heartbreaking just like real life at times xxx
on 1 May 2013
This book is one of the best books I have purchased on my Kindle!! The storyline was absolutely fantastic, and was written so beautifully I couldn't fault it even if I tried! You fall in love with all of the main characters! This isn't just your average romantic story, this is so much more emotionally. The love triangle is shocking, yet the author portrayed both POVS in such a unique way that left me wanting to read on and on and on. I couldn't put it down.
However, the ending stops with a massive cliffhanger!!! And the sequel for this story isn't coming out until Summer 2013. If I had known, I would have waited until the other one came out so I could read it all in one. The cliffhanger was such a shocker that I just want to know what happens!! I would suggest you wait till the sequel comes out, it'd be worth the wait!