on 12 April 2015
This should have been amazing, Batmans oldest foe launching a blistering assault on the heart and soul of the dark knight. It even starts off just right.... problem is that while promising, the pacing and the detail work take the deplorable, deviant, duke of delight and turn him into a cut rate renaissance faire variant of Hannibal Lecter
on 1 October 2015
Blasted though volumes 1 and 2 and loved them. Such a brilliant batman story and now at Volume 3 we find ourselves in a Joker story. Mind blown!. Just put this book down and can't wait to get into Volume 4. Amazing artwork and a storyline that will keep you entertained throughout and on the edge of your seat. The pricing on Amazon is fantastic and about £8 cheaper than my local comic shop. I can't grumble about anything as a life long batman fan. This is a must read collection.
on 18 September 2014
Right off the bat(no pun intended) this volume had me on the edge of my seat. The writing is sharp amd never leaves any to be desired; the artwork fits the genre and is superb throughout. What this novel does so well, is to show us one of the best characterizations of The Joker while also telling one of the better Batman tales in my book. The Joker is back, with a level of madness unrivaled by any villain - and yet he has a plan, he has a sense of meaning and balance behind his mess of chaos. The constant feeling of Ying and Yang balance between Batman and Joker is truly well-done in this book and it is hard to believe one became what they are without their counterpart. You owe it to yourself to read this novel.
on 20 January 2016
Stunning return to Gotham in the third volume of this brilliant series by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo. It looks fantastic, and the story is darker than any other Batman arc in history (I know it's hard to believe!). Very realistic, very grown up, very good!
on 21 November 2013
I won't say much. don't wanna spoil anybody's fun.
I'll tell this though: i have bought and read the entire electronic edition when it was released. and it was sick. it was also my first encounter with the new 52. and i loved it. the story line, the dialogue, the ending. the art, just brilliant! this should tell nolan it is the case to have another batman & joker movie...
if you're looking for a great joker story, this is it! the best i've read so far. and i've read plenty!
This story runs through issues #13-17 of the New 52 Batman comic, all collected as Batman Volume 3: Death of the Family HC (The New 52) (Batman (DC Comics)). This is a superb story, and you don't need to read the crossover issues - all collected as The Joker: Death of the Family HC (The New 52) - in order to appreciate it. This is the Batman The Killing Joke Special Ed HC for the New 52, but with a much better punchline than the original. There's really not much more to be said; other than that it has superb scripting and artwork.

I have been critical of a number of the New 52 Batman volumes and series, but this is definitely one of the best, and head and shoulders above the two preceding volumes. It has a beginning, middle and at least two endings, one for the Joker and one for the `Family'.

THE SPOILER ZONE

PS: I was expecting a dead Robin at the end of this story, considering its title. Imagine my surprise when I read Batman Incorporated Volume 2: Gotham's Most Wanted HC (The New 52) first...
on 27 December 2013
First off... I have not read this yet so I cant comment on the content. I have read the previous trades issues and they were amazing. Scott Snyder is an amazing author. I am not a fan of the artwork but that is minor for me when the writing is this good.

However, the reason I am giving this 5 stars before even reading it is because of the hardcover. It is simply amazing. The dust jacket is plastic and when you take it off it is removing The Joker's face (as it had it removed in Detective Comics). If the paperback was out I would have purchased that but I am glad I was not able to. At current price (around £12) this is worth every penny for the hardback edition.

I am excited to read this now.
on 16 October 2014
I love the haunting, deep, gritty nature of this story. It is quite short, but is an enjoyable read for fans and you don't necessarily need to read anything prior to it to understand what is going on.
on 21 July 2014
I've read a few Batman's in the past but with The New 52 collections being released recently I felt like diving in and trying it out 'continuously'. Have to admit I'm glad I did and I have no doubt that this book will end up with a reputation in it's own right.

It explores the Batman and Joker characters, focusing primarily on their relationship and Batman's relationship with 'the family'.

I feel Batman's best in comic book form, there's an expressiveness available due the nature of the artwork which is toned down for the live action works. If you're interested in Batman/The Joker then I have no doubt you'd find this a great read.
on 28 January 2016
This is a great story that really works on the relationship of the joker and batman. I love the portray of the joker in this volume.

In my opinion is the a better read then court of owls. Nice and short but with great character development.