Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.99

on 1 February 2014
The book is very well written and the narrative is so clear that you feel like you are on the mountain with Ken Jones. The tale is one of solitude, exploration, bad luck, highs and lows but above all how mind over body is the key to survival. A great read that I would recommend to everyone.
on 14 February 2014
I enjoyed this book so much that I read it again within a couple of weeks! It is an incredible story showing such determination and spirit. It's just amazing what adversity can be overcome by Ken's will to live and later with the love of his family and friends. Fantastic!
on 24 January 2014
This is a gripping and harrowing read of one mans' survival journey. As others have so aptly written, I shivered whilst reading this story as Ken describes his struggle for survival and beyond. He has been a motivation in surpasing injury and not giving up. The story sticks in your mind once you've read it. Any time you believe you are past it, had enough or told "you cant" then reflect back on this book because Kens story drives you to prove others wrong. Having taken part in the "Fan Dance " run by Ken I can say I am amazed at his achievement finally climb jacob's ladder again after such an injury. Whether you buy the book or the Kindle edition it is well worth the read...
on 14 October 2015
An excellent, intriguing read, it's hard to understand what kept him going when so many more people would have given up on the first night, amazing strength and personality shine through, so glad the outcome was good, much deserved.
on 13 January 2014
Incredible account of one man's struggle to survive against the odds. A very inspiring and motivational story about the limits of what a man can overcome and achieve.
on 7 January 2014
One hell of a read, truely gripping. Ken is an inspiration to anyone who ever suffers life changing injuries or may be going to through a rut. Definately gave me a kick up the backside to not give up on injuries and (just like the past) not to always listen to doctors' advice. Hats off to him on a brilliant finished article, his recovery and his continued strength of mind.
on 5 June 2014
A great - classic - story. Only four more words are needed really:

1. gripping
2. emotional rollercoaster
3. visceral
4. uplifting

Sorry, that's five more words.
Read this book. You won't regret it.
on 29 January 2014
I picked this up yesterday and couldn't put it down. I just finished it and feel like like I've been on one hell of an adventure myself! A true survival/adventure story was well overdue and this book fills the recent void in the genre, and is up there with the best of them: Touching the Void and White Spider (it's far better than 127 hours...) so I'm glad its been at the top of the Mountaineering genre on Amazon for a while now (searching by genre, by the way, is a great way to find new and old books in areas that interest you).

As a story, it is utterly compelling and even devastating in places. He shares with us the pain he went through and the thoughts he had while making his bid back to safety but one wonders at the true pain and loneliness he must have gone through; surely the written word cannot fully communicate such terrible thoughts as those that come when we face death. But as the written word goes, this is surely as close as it gets and the hardship he endures to make it back safe is nothing short of awe-inspiring. This is a man who stood up to the worst of the elements and nearly died - twice - and not only recovered but returned to an amazingly active lifestyle. The book covers all of this: not just his escape from the mountain, but also his surgery and road to recovery.

I recommend this read to anyone looking for inspiration, and to all those interested in the strength of the human spirit and the endurance of the human body. It's a mountaineering/adventure book par excellence but it would appeal equally to those interested in travel (and especially those who travel off the beaten track). It would appeal to military-types and regular people alike because although one gets a sense of his military background (that's probably why he survived), it is also a very human story that shows weakness and love and not just the 'manly' strength that tends to define the mountaineering/survival genre.

Every so often a story - be it a book or a film - comes along that captures the imagination in a way that is difficult to define: "there's just something about it...". No matter how many times it is told, a true story of a real person who makes mistakes, who takes wrong turns, who is ultimately a fragile human being like you or I, and who survives against all odds to stare death in the face and deny it, is a timeless, captivating theme. And when it's well told you realise you just discovered a rare gem.

Buy it. Read it. Share it.
on 28 May 2014
Bought kindle edition of this book after hearing Ken Jones on Radio 4. It sat on my kindle for a while, and then I had an unexpected and scary hospitalisation for an undiagnosed illness.
I started reading this book when I came out of hospital and it was "the book that was meant for me".
His story is so emotionally gripping. It has helped me find my way with my doubts, it has guided me in how to cope with my illness, the spiritual uplift I have had from this book has totally amazed me. I feel humbled.
Go Ken!
I choose wellness, mobility, strength, and I believe I can have those things after ready your book.

Many, many thanks
on 14 April 2015
What can I say... No doubt the author's experience was harrowing and horrific but I thought the constant stream of near death and despair was all a bit to much. I was left with the impression that this was all an exaggeration, not helped by the fact that, although our hero was told repeatedly he would never walk again, he does and takes part in some quite major endurance events. In short, I didn't believe it.